The all new CA1 and NP1

TomBo

Re: The all new CA1 and NP1
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2024, 07:25 pm »
Are you serious? A new control amp with a MM Phono circuit and remote control? WOW! Congrats AVA!

aricml

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2024, 01:47 am »
Can't wait to see and hear them at AXPONA!  :wink:

floresjc

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2024, 07:01 pm »
Sound quality, is this a big upgrade to the SET120 or more of a side grade with a different sonic signature?

jandrews

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2024, 04:06 pm »
Very interesting
Congratulations on launching a new product line
Mary are these units essentially replacing the SET120 and SET120 Control Amp?
Or will they both be offered going forward?
Can you speak further about the Nested Architecture ?

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2024, 05:33 pm »

They provide actual jaw dropping musical improvements over the already excellent SET series small amplifiers.

You won’t believe it until you hear them.  Experience them at Axponia in april.

Frank

« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2024, 02:00 am by avahifi »

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2024, 06:13 pm »
One question about the CA1 - will plugging in the headphones shut off the signal to speakers? I noticed that there's no toggle switch on the back to turn off the speakers.

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2024, 07:53 pm »
Yes, plugging in headphones turns off speakers.

Everything about the new control amp is improved. New phono section, new headphone driver, new power supply, remote on/off capability, and more, all standard. Musically astonishing new audio circuits configuration. Hard to believe how much you have been missing until now.

Frank

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2024, 08:39 pm »
Any plans to add the new technology to your DVA Digital preamp or the M225/ M750 Monoblocks?

avahifi

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2024, 02:21 pm »
At this time the needed new semiconductors are not available at a voltage rating high enough for a high powered amplifier.
The M225 and M750 amplifiers are pretty special already as many of you know.

These new very high tech devices bring the best of our differential bridged mono amps, but in an affordable stereo two channel package designed for best quality sound for those with medium to higher efficiency speakers.

The new amplifiers take the cost of no holds barred absolute sound down to a very affordable level. No need to dream for a $50,000+ audio system. With either the new CA1 or MP1 you will get this, probably even better.

Hey you guys who have been consecrating on very expensive cables and parts. How about auditioning one of these new superamps from some of the funds from your cable budget? You will be surprised.

Frank

jandrews

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2024, 05:27 pm »
Is the phono amp on the CA1 adjustable in anyway? Is it MM only?
Jason

Brad

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2024, 05:31 pm »
Cool stuff, Frank!

DecibleDude

« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2024, 09:08 pm »
 I just noticed the addition of this new product to the AVA website today and thought what's this? Anyway, I noticed right away it had a built in phono preamp which is nice. I'm wondering if it's similar to the set 120 control amp I bought a couple of months ago, only with the phono preamp added or is it something entirely different. It states somewhere I read "up to" 55 wpc which I assume means 55wpc?  Is the CA intended to replace the set 120 control amp or sit  along side because there's apparently a 5 wpc difference. Can't wait to see pictures of it with the cover off.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2024, 12:49 pm by DecibleDude »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2024, 10:11 pm »
I just noticed the addition of this new product to the AVA website today and thought what's this? Anyway, I noticed right away it had a built in phono preamp which is nice. I'm wondering if it's similar to the set 120 control amp I bought last month, only with the phono preamp added or something entirely different. It states somewhere I read "up to" 55 wpc which I assume means 55wpc?  Is the CA intended to replace the set 120 control amp or sit  along side because there's apparently a 10 wpc difference. Can't wait to see pictures of it with the cover off.

They are not the same as the 120 control amp.  It is new tech.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2024, 10:43 pm »
I just noticed the addition of this new product to the AVA website today and thought what's this? Anyway, I noticed right away it had a built in phono preamp which is nice. I'm wondering if it's similar to the set 120 control amp I bought last month, only with the phono preamp added or something entirely different. It states somewhere I read "up to" 55 wpc which I assume means 55wpc?  Is the CA intended to replace the set 120 control amp or sit  along side because there's apparently a 10 wpc difference. Can't wait to see pictures of it with the cover off.

I bought a used black SET 120 Control Amp off US Audio Mart last week and it's a huge upgrade from the Insight(?) control amp I had before. Also got the MK5 DAC from someone else on US Audio Mart. My previous Control Amp and EC DAC should be up on the used/demo/quickship page shortly.

<;tldr:

Although I first learned about the DynaKit mods from the Jensen's ads in (I think) Stereo Review I did not actually buy any of Frank's products until around 2008 or so - a used PAT-5 preamp that I bought from Frank. I had always assumed that any upgrade to my system (Fisher, MacIntosh, Marantz, Pioneer, Scott, NAD... over many years) would be wasted on me because of my hearing loss (long boring story). Man was I ever wrong!!! I ran the PAT5 into the power amp section of a super cheapo "hifi" receiver and I was amazed at the quality. At the time I was listening to music from either a Sony stereo tape deck (TC-765?) and a Denon turntable with a Grado black cartridge. Both were about 30 years old. I've gone through several upgrades since the PAT5, always used except for the phono preamp. Since that first PAT5 I've always - with a couple of exceptions - bought the best used AVA equipment I could afford.

;tldr/>

A long-winded way of saying that the I expect the CA1 and NP1 to be the usual (at the very least!) significant upgrade from the previous generation.

DecibleDude

« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2024, 12:52 pm »
Yes, plugging in headphones turns off speakers.

Everything about the new control amp is improved. New phono section, new headphone driver, new power supply, remote on/off capability, and more, all standard. Musically astonishing new audio circuits configuration. Hard to believe how much you have been missing until now.

Frank

Hi Frank, does the new CA1 use a passive or active preamp?

avahifi

« Reply #16 on: 19 Mar 2024, 02:31 pm »
MM phono plus 3 sets line level inputs and passive volume control. Remote volume, mute, and on/off functions. Active headphone drivers.

Frank

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2024, 02:42 pm »
Very interesting
Congratulations on launching a new product line
Mary are these units essentially replacing the SET120 and SET120 Control Amp?
Or will they both be offered going forward?
Can you speak further about the Nested Architecture ?
Hello jandrews,

For now we plan to offer both the SET 120 and the new CA1. This option will be reevaluated in the future.

Mary

RonN5

« Reply #18 on: 20 Mar 2024, 04:59 pm »
So...would the NP1 be able to handle the Magnepan LRS+ basically played at an 85 db absolute peak level.  The question is because these speakers seem to hover around 3.2 ohms on the Stereophile test with a benign 20 degree phase angle...and because generally people throw tons of power at Maggies...BUT you also hear that they can sound great with much lower power.

dB Cooper

« Reply #19 on: 20 Mar 2024, 05:27 pm »
Not in the market, but curious as to whether the phono section could be omitted to save non-spinners (or those with external phono pre's) a little?