Hello from Pez! New Company - Hapa Audio

Pez

Hello from Pez! New Company - Hapa Audio
« on: 28 Aug 2020, 09:10 pm »
click image to go to website.

Hello Audiocircle folks! I know it’s been a while. I have been very busy building something from the ground up. I’m very excited to announce the launch of my new company; Hapa Audio.

Hapa Audio is my concept on high end audio design. We are utilizing cutting edge technology and utilizing our knowledge on design, material science and engineering.

Hapa Audio is currently focused on cabling. We are starting out with four of my favorite designs. Breathe S and Quiescence S RCA cables both utilizing pure silver and DreddZ S (pure silver) and DreddZ C (Copper) IEM/Portable headphone cables. All of my designs are hand woven/braided and utilize my concept of ultra lightweight cabling that eliminates the use of heavy dielectrics and other silver materials. I have sent a few models out to AC folks to trial. I am looking forward to their reviews.

In the immediate future we are planning on releasing several new cabling products. Many of these designs utilize a technology patent I have been working on for almost 7 months and finally was able to file a few months back (more on that later ;) ). We will be releasing products utilizing this patent very soon!

I am looking to send a few of my RCA cables out to AC folks for review. If you are interested please follow this LINK and fill out the google form.

I’m very excited to finally show you all what I’ve been working on for several years. :D We will have some reviews soon from a few forum members.  :thumb:

Also, follow Hapa Audio on Instagram to see our custom work.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2020, 07:52 pm by Pez »

Pez

Re: Hello from Pez! New Company - Hapa Audio
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2020, 05:42 pm »
Hey Folks,
Hapa Tuesday :P I wanted to chat bit about how Hapa Audio came about. I'm sure many of you remember Bolder Cables. Welp, for years, Wayne Wananeen from Bolder Cables made some of the most amazing sounding cables at the time. I replaced several of my cables with Bolder cables throughout the years. More than anything I learned a ton from Wayne's designs as well as his general knowledge that he was always more than happy to share. He may not have realized it at the time, but much or what he taught me pushed me in a direction that I likely would not have been able/interested in going. And that was braving the wild and designing my own stuff.

Try not to laugh, this is some of my early attempts back on the day of making a floating conductor /air dielectric cable

Through the years I built some UGLY MONSTROUS designs that, while some sonically sounded great, visually was entirely unappealing. Not only that many of my designs took weeks if not months to make. The result, a set of cables that were more trouble than they were worth unless they were done strictly for my own personal use. That all changed last year.  :popcorn:

During my martial arts class in May of 2019 I managed to blow my achilles. Complete 100% rupture. I couldn't do anything but lay in bed with my leg up. I wasn't allowed to work, or do anything other than slowly worm my way to the bathroom when needed. It wasn't until June that I was even surgerized. Being a very active person, this was devastating to me. I was bored out of my mind for a few days, that is until I decided that since I couldn't move, I might as well listen to some tunes in bed.

As many of you might remember, I helped iFi get their forum established here on AC for few years back when I decided to work for them for a short stint. I have a ton of iFi gear to keep me company and it has served me well through the years. iFi gear of course sounds amazing, but as per my Audiophilia-nervousa I couldn't leave well enough alone. Which brought me around to figuring out how I could push my system to the next level. I had plenty of time and ordered up a bunch of high quality wire and parts and started tinkering.

Something I had always wanted to incorporate in my designs was a new geometry. I had spent a ton of time messing around with star quad cabling and found it had a ton of advantages. For one, it self shields via it's geometry. Due to the spiraling star quad induces a field that inherently rejects RFI,EMI noise, but the problem with star quad is the geometry also causes a severe amount of crosstalk between signal and common/ground due to the proximity of the two through the entire length of the cable.

One of my early attempts at making a decent pair of headphone cables. Bright, sterile and mechanical sounding, yet better than anything I had made previously.  :duh:

With nothing but time on my hands, so I started twisting and braiding, braiding and twisting, TWISTING AND BRAIDING until my fingers were raw and I had a frustration headache. No matter what I would do I wold end up with a mess. Uneven braiding, inconsistent sound quality and a tangled mess. Yuck, not a fun way to spend my forced vacation time. :scratch:

Stay tuned, more to come later.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2020, 09:15 pm by Pez »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2020, 05:47 pm »
Hey Folks,
Hapa Monday :P 
Today is Tuesday FYI

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2020, 06:01 pm »
DOH! I started working on this yesterday.  :icon_lol: thanks for the catch.

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2020, 05:48 pm »
As I healed up I continued to work on my new projects. I had quite a few breakthroughs that made the process easier and repeatable. I utilized quite a few ideas I had incorporated from other disciplines. I'd gotten quite good at braiding and making cabling in general. It was at that point that I started utilizing higher and higher quality parts as I progressed with my skillset.

Before long, my goal of making something merely adequate had shifted. I was now focused on making the absolute best sonic quality possible and creating unique pieces that were at the level of functional jewelry. Bit by bit I experimented with materials and geometries. It occurred to me that perhaps I could create something based on star quad geometry but utilizing proper spacing in order to prevent crosstalk thus keeping the signal cleaner and more faithful to the signal  source.  This could only be done by proper spacing of all leads. After much experimentation I managed to solve the problem Enter DCSG.

What is DCSG?

Copper IEM cable utilizing DCSG

DCSG stands for Dual Chirality Star Geometry. That’s a mouthful I know, but the name is apt. What DCSG does is create the aforementioned spacing that Star quad lacks while maintaining the positive attributes of star quad, namely the RFI/EMI rejection that the chiral geometry induces. However, unlike star quad geometry DCSG doesn’t just have a right handed or left handed chirality, it has both. Check out my write up here: https://hapaaudio.com/technology/dcsg-dual-chirality-star-geometry/ 

This new geometry opened up a possibility for what could be done, literally doubling the number of leads that standard star quad utilizes and because all leads are evenly spaced and only cross over each other at 90 degree angles, crosstalk is virtually eliminated leaving a much cleaner more vibrant sound more true to the original signal, while remaining faithful to the original signal. I have daisy chained my DCSG based RCA cables beyond 4 meters and could detect almost no loss in sound quality.

Hapa Audio’s Breathe S (pure silver) RCA cable utilizes DCSG geometry

It’s amazing what can be accomplished when you’re forced to be still! :lol: I’ve got a ton more to report and am excited to show AC what Hapa Audio is all about. As discussed earlier, I am excited to share what I’ve made. If you have an interest in hearing for yourself, please sign up!
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2020, 07:52 pm by Pez »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2020, 12:04 am »
Hi Pez,

Congratulations on launching your new cable company!

Sorry to hear about your achilles and I hope you're back to walking and being active again - but it sounds like your experience being stuck in bed (a negative) turned into an opportunity to spend a lot of time listening and working on your new designs (a positive). 

You went from making DIY-looking wires to very professional-looking cables, but more importantly is that you had the time to become very familiar with how they sound.

I'm looking forward to watching you grow your business and wish you much success and fun with it!

Vinnie

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2020, 04:23 pm »
Big thanks Vinnie!

I am excited to announce, I am movin' on up to the Majors! JohnR has agreed to opening a Hapa Audio Forum!  8) :angel: :eyebrows: :banana piano: :beer: :violin: :drums: :guitar: :hyper: :dance: :weights: :jester:

Pez

Welcome and hello!
« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2020, 04:51 am »
Audiocircle!

It is my great pleasure to introduce you to the Hapa Audio forum. :banana piano: I started out as one of the first members of this site and have watched this community grow and progress. Through the years I've done everything from reviews, to show coverage for RMAF. Now, I have the great fortune to kick off my new company right here where it all started.

What is Hapa Audio?
Hapa Audio is my vision of bringing the art of design and handcrafted quality to a level rarely seen. I've been working on Hapa Audio for the better part of a year and a half. With sonic performance always at the forefront of my design philosophy, I have utilized fundamental physics, material science and innovation to create our products.   Right now Hapa Audio is 100% focused on our designs for cabling. Taking a look at our website you might note that we do not have a full array of options as of yet. We do have several designs still up and coming that will be available very soon so check back frequently.  :thumb: hapaaudio.com

I am honored to be a part of this community in this new way and look forward to showing you what Hapa Audio is all about.

« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2020, 07:53 pm by Pez »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Welcome and hello!
« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2020, 05:23 am »
Congratulations Pez best wishes of success in this new step of áudio.

Pez

Re: Welcome and hello!
« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2020, 04:50 pm »
Congratulations Pez best wishes of success in this new step of áudio.

Thank you FRM! Now that we're officially in the forums rather than under 'archived' it's great to be here. I've got a few folks with Hapa cables in hand already, but if you're interested in checking out what we offer we'd love to get some review pieces out.

Let us know by filling out the form here: Review Form

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2020, 05:00 pm »
Hi Pez,

Glad to see your forum went live!

FYI - it seems that one needs to be logged-in to view your forum and to see your posts.  When I log-out, it won't let me in and I can't see your
latest posts on the home page. 

Wishing you much success here!

Vinnie

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2020, 05:07 pm »
Congratulations Pez.

I hope everyone is willing to give your new products a shot.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2020, 01:27 am »
Congratulations Pez!

I glanced over at the Site Sponsor list tonight and saw a new name. I clicked on it and was surprised to see you were the owner. I read the entire thread and it sounds like you created an exciting new cable design during your down time.

Good luck to you and your new company!  :thumb:

dflee

« Reply #13 on: 17 Sep 2020, 02:07 am »
Good luck both company and ankle wise.
Just remember, Steve Miller wrote Fly like an Eagle and Book of Dreams
while rehabbing with a broken neck. Apparently rehabbing must have some
sort of mojo goin on.

Don

Pez

« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2020, 02:37 am »
Vinnie and Danny,
It is an honor for me to share this forum with gents like you. I have been a fan of your work since the beginning! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Slushpuppy and Don,
You guys nailed it. I blew my achilles doing Kendo, a martial art I've been practicing for 16 years. Much like Steve Miller, it was one of those moments I did something somewhat unexpected with my time. Since it happened I've put a lot of thought and time into the engineering of cabling. I even applied for a patent this year, more on that later.  :thumb: Suffice it to say blowing my achilles was one of the best mistakes I've ever made!  :lol:

Reminds me of the movie Office Space:

"Good things CAN happen in this world."

ServerAdmin

« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2020, 03:34 am »
FYI - it seems that one needs to be logged-in to view your forum and to see your posts.  When I log-out, it won't let me in and I can't see your
latest posts on the home page. 

My bad, should be fixed now.

morganc

« Reply #16 on: 17 Sep 2020, 05:40 am »
Congrats Pez!

Woodsea

« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2020, 06:13 am »
Congratulations and good luck...nice looking weave and interesting design story!

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #18 on: 17 Sep 2020, 06:49 am »
Welcome and good luck with your new company.  I was one of the first reviewers to write about Silnote and Wywires cables and hope to get around to listening to a pair of your interconnects

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #19 on: 17 Sep 2020, 12:48 pm »
Congrats on the new company!  I sat around drinking with a cable manufacturer one evening some years ago and he told me the most important factor is geometry.  Everything else flows from that.  So I think you have it right making that your focus.