Proper stand height

sdk

Proper stand height
« on: 19 Feb 2004, 01:32 am »
I'm in the process of purchasing a pair of Royal Virtuosos and so I'm looking to get a set of very rigid metal stands (probably custom made Sound Anchors) but I'm wondering what height the stands should be?

My ears are 38 inches from the floor when I'm seated in my listening chair. Should the stands put the tweeters on axis with my ears? Since the tweeters are about 13 inches from the bottom of the speaker that would mean I'd need a stand height of 25 inches to get the tweeter on the same axis as my ears.

I talked to Tash about this and he recommends a stand about 29 to 30 inches tall which puts the center of the woofer on axis with my ears. I'm wondering if this is the experience with other owners of Reference 3A speakers? Do you find that the speakers sound best when the mid-point of the woofer is on axis with your ears?

So to boil this all down…Should I put the center of the woofer on axis with my ears or put the tweeter on axis with my ears?

Thanks!

Terry

Take his advice
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2004, 12:31 am »
Tash knows what he is talking about. I made the mistake of buying 24" stands for my DeCappos. When I switched to the 29" stand, there was a significant improvement. The tweeter needs to be above the level of the ear by a few inches.