Wyred4Sound Amps

cdj

Wyred4Sound Amps
« on: 18 Aug 2008, 09:04 pm »
I 'm considering the Wyred4Sound digital amps for my SongTowers but am not sure which model. I listen to jazz, guitar and piano solos, vocals in the line of Diana Krall and Rebecca Pidgeon, at moderate levels.
With my Parasound HCA2200MkII and P/LD 2000 (385W into 4ohms) I rarely go above the 10 o'clock setting on the preamp dial.
The ST250 is rated at 195W into 4ohms; the ST500 is rated at 550W into 4ohms. Since the SongTowers have an 80 - 200W SS amp recommendation, the ST250 seems to fit. The ST500 would have MEGA headroom. The ST250 is $500 less than the ST500, that's a lot of new CDs.
Your thoughts, insights, recommendations are much appreciated.  :D

Big Red Machine

Re: Wyred4Sound Amps
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2008, 12:33 am »
Hold off a tad.  Let me wring out these SX1000's for a few days.  They just arrived today.

mcullinan

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2008, 02:58 am »
Id like to hear what you think too. So many Class D amps popping out of the woodwork.
Mike :D

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2008, 03:20 am »
Hold off a tad.  Let me wring out these SX1000's for a few days.  They just arrived today.

SX1000'S?? -NIIICE.

I have been seriously considering their stereo version... 

Please keep in mind, those ice amps have especially long break in time, like hundreds of hours. I have the cullen modded ps audio c-100.  I am really happy with this, but the wyred units look to be even better.

-Tony

hmen

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2008, 05:05 am »
I bought the new SX200 monos. Thry're still in the break-in period. I ran them full range for about 25 hours. Right now I'm using them to power the woofers on my RM40's.  Once I get enough hours on them i'll run them full range again and write a review. Even at this point I would recommend them to anyone looking for SS amps to bi-amp. They're very fast, and run very cool. One thing I'm sure about is that the 200 watts into 4 ohms is plenty for me.    

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2008, 01:02 pm »
I am not sure what will change in these amps as time is put on.  I have them running continuously and will go back to listening in 4 or 5 days (schedule is too whacked this week.)

Right now after just 2 hours last night I'd say they are very interesting from the knees up.  My references are recent amps like the Sunfire and Pass and previous Class D's like the PS Audios and Rowlands.  These amps after 2 hours are not smooth but very much in your face crystal clear.  I'm a little confused on whether I like them or not or perhaps they are so true I am not accustomed to that truth.

Basic soundstage width and depth are okay.  Delineation of instruments is good.  Vocals are clear.  My biggest complaint so far is lack of bass.  Compared to Rowland 201s the Wyreds are crisper from the knees up but they have about the same bass output.  It's there but not nearly as thorough as the Sunfire and maybe even less than the Pass.  I am hoping this will right itself.  I sent an email off to Rick Cullen to inquire as to what I could expect for changes over time.

My inclination is that the amp would smooth out but not dig deeper with more hours.  This may be a paradigm with non-Class D amps I have, but if it does not portray magic across the spectrum at minute one I don't have much hope it will miracuously correct itself.  We'll see.

I only winced once on one high note so that's a positive (I guess).  But overall the amps are downright fun so far.  Coupled with the ribbon tweeter there is no lack of high frequency extension.  If I had the bass of the Sunfire I'd be even more excited that these may settle down a skosh and smooth out some of the sound.  I'm not ready to comment on soulfulness of the music yet.  Given that the frequency extensions are primary to accomplish and expected, and if that occurs, then whether or not the amps are musical matters most.

I'm going to try one on my center channel speaker in the HT this weekend to see what that brings as well.

hmen

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2008, 01:20 pm »
Big Red Machine,
  My initial impressions after a few hours are almost the exact opposite of yours. I couldn't be happier with the bass but I find the mids and highs, especially voices, to be detailed but kind of recessed and veiled. My rerference is the Atma-sphere M60.

Howard

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2008, 01:27 pm »
I have a D-Sonic Magnum 2000-5 driving my HT3's, center and surrounds, in a word awesome.  This amp is manufactured by Cullen the same outfit that makes Wyred.  If I had known about Wyred I probably would have bought it at the time because of upgraded parts etc. but no regrets here.

By the way I do all my listening using a Anthem D2 with ARC(Anthem Room Correction) being fed by a squeezebox modified by ART with a CI power supply.

mcullinan

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2008, 01:36 pm »
Big Red,
Try flipping your speaker terminal connections. Maybe you are out of phase/polarity, not sure which. I did this and bass that was missing, returned.
Mike

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2008, 01:43 pm »
Big Red,
Try flipping your speaker terminal connections. Maybe you are out of phase/polarity, not sure which. I did this and bass that was missing, returned.
Mike

Funny you should say that.  I doubled checked the wiring last night after one Regina Spektor song that should have rattled the room and it seemed as if one woofer was moving in while the other side woofer was moving out.  Just like an out of phase issue.  But I had red as positive and black as negative on both amps using balanced inputs.  I'll check it again tonight and try single ended hook-ups.

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2008, 01:48 pm »
By the way I do all my listening using a Anthem D2 with ARC(Anthem Room Correction) being fed by a squeezebox modified by ART with a CI power supply.

The Sept. '08 issue of Stereophile has a review of the D2, they like the ARC feature a lot.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2008, 04:16 pm »
Rick says it is possible that the XLR connection has reversed the phase so I will check that tonight by switching the inputs and then using SE connections.

TomS

« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2008, 04:47 pm »
Rick says it is possible that the XLR connection has reversed the phase so I will check that tonight by switching the inputs and then using SE connections.

I had an amp that had the left channel connected to binding posts correctly and the right channel reversed (internally).  Couldn't believe it at the time, but the amp did sound very strange.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2008, 04:55 pm »
It was about 10 PM last night and my eyelids were getting droopy so I bailed.  But thinking back the sound was not entirely pinpointed and that woofer motion caused me to grab the flashlight and my spectacles to inspect the wiring which was "correct".  Can't wait to get home and rewire it to see what I get.  If the bass comes on, this could be a hoot. :beer:

yooper

« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2008, 05:04 pm »
Hmmm... this could be interesting  aa

Mark

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2008, 01:21 am »
Bass is starting to come on.  Definitely more musical with the balanced pre outs than the single ended.  No phase changes.

cdj

« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2008, 05:11 pm »
I appreciate all the info posted. I didn't expect my post to generate such an enjoyable and informative thread. Looking forward to further posts, I've especially enjoyed your posts Big Red Machine!  :D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2008, 08:05 pm »
I left the system running while I'm in Cleveland today and tomorrow to put more hours on the amps.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2008, 01:03 am »
72 hours and counting and still looking good.  Full frequency range now.  I have more of the aggressive top end I wanted from the Pass.  These amps are more my style so far.  I'm going to let them run for another week and pile on the hours so I can evaluate the sound with total breakin.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2008, 01:35 am »
I dunno.  I shouldn't say anything, but this is driving me a little wacky.  What exactly are you breaking in?  Resistors?  Capaictors?  IC's?  And what exactly is the scientific basis for thinking there is anything to break in?   And do you really think you can compare what you're hearing after 70 hours with what you heard after one hour?  That would require a very carefully designed controlled experiment with two identical amplifers and speakers, one amp with 70 hours of use, and the other with one.  Obviously we're all entitled to our opinion, and everyone has a right to report those opinions, but in the end sound reproduction is a science.  And I hope we're all willing to take those opinions with several grains of kosher salt.  Let's see-- I think the flame suit is in the master bedroom closet.   Better check.