Raven Audio Reputation Among This Group?

Joe Frances

Raven Audio Reputation Among This Group?
« on: 8 Feb 2019, 09:22 pm »
I have been thinking seriously about changing from a hybrid to an all-tube integrated amp, and the Raven Audio Osprey at 30 Watts seems to be the ticket for a fairly sensitive (90db) speaker.  I like Dave the owner, and have spoken to him at the NY Audio Show, and corresponded with him by email.  (His company is now moving into speakers and cables.)  But, I only know what I read from the Raven website, and the few "professional" audio reviews who have written about their "Avian" amps on-line or in magazines, all of which has been good to very good.  What I would like to know is what is the reputation of Raven among the tube cognoscenti?  And what do you think about its: (a) Quality? (2) Sound? (3) Customer service? The fact that the Osprey costs around $5K is not a main issue, considering the cost of other tube amps.  I realize it's moderated expensive, but I want to put together a long-term excellent system. Thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Raven Audio Reputation Among This Group?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2019, 10:23 pm »
If it is Single Ended and use hard wire point to point solder (with a good amount of lead) it have chance to last a few decades of prob free life.

Focus on how amps are made, not how they sound.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2019, 01:03 am »
Hi, Joe.

While I have no knowledge of Raven Audio or its products, I did follow a similar path to yours. I went from a SS amp to a hybrid amp to a tube amp for my main system. There are many different tube complements available to choose from. If possible, try different amps in your system to determine which tube complement (and which amp) is right for your ears.

Which speakers do you have? What are your listening room dimensions? What genre of music do you tend to prefer? How loud do you play music?

Enjoy your journey.

Michael

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2019, 01:19 am »
Joe

Bill Dudleston of Legacy Speakers thinks enough of Dave's amps that they have been their tube amp show partner for several years.  They are showing together this weekend in Florida.

galyons

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2019, 01:56 am »
Focus on how amps are made, not how they sound.

WTF!!!   :duh:  This has got to be the worst audio comment I have seen in a long time!!! (English not first language is NO excuse here!) Audio is about the sound. Good build quality of a good design helps produce good sound.  Stellar build quality that sounds like $#!T is simply $#!T

Cheers,
Geary

MttBsh

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2019, 02:02 am »
WTF!!!   :duh:  This has got to be the worst audio comment I have seen in a long time!!! (English not first language is NO excuse here!) Audio is about the sound. Good build quality of a good design helps produce good sound.  Stellar build quality that sounds like $#!T is simply $#!T

Cheers,
Geary

Let's not forget the most important aspect of amps... how they LOOK!  :o

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2019, 02:05 am »

:rotflmao: :eyebrows: :bounce:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2019, 02:24 am »

Cheers,
Geary
My opinion is not different from you, I even fail to understant you.
You disagree and after you agree with me:
Good build quality of a good design helps produce good sound.
====
Stellar build quality that sounds like $#!T is simply $#!T
Seems you are talking from famous expensive transistors amps or fancy multi-way loudspeaker berilium plated featured in hi-end pages as TAS or Stereophile.
Audio world are big, there is plenty of real equips that fit to any case, inclusive sino tubes with great sound while they are working.
If you dont know what is good or bad to made a tube amp you will need rely in magazines opinions and his always better sound quality of the newest release.

« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2019, 01:40 pm by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2019, 02:25 am »
This is a frantic smarter opinion :thumb:

Brettio

« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2019, 02:41 am »

You guys are lucky. In my house it’s all about how my wife thinks they look!   :lol: