Did Audiogon lose their domain address?

medium jim

Re: Did Audiogon lose their domain address?
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2013, 10:51 pm »
Is this what you are getting?

http://app.audiogon.com/

Jim

skunark

« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2013, 10:56 pm »
Looks like they failed to renew their domain name on time or a rocky transition to another registry... 

Registrant:
Pending Renewal or Deletion
   P.O. Box 430
   Herndon, VA. US 20172-0447

Domain Name: AUDIOGON.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      Pending Renewal or Deletion Email Masking Image@networksolutions.com
      P.O. Box 430
      Herndon, VA 20172-0447
      US
      570-708-8786

Record expires on 13-May-2018.
   Record created on 14-May-1998.
   Database last updated on 13-May-2013 07:28:22 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.PENDINGRENEWALDELETION.COM 205.178.190.51
   NS2.PENDINGRENEWALDELETION.COM 206.188.198.51

Information Updated: Mon, 13 May 2013 12:06:26 UTC

tonyptony

« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2013, 10:57 pm »
I get the main page and What's New, and my personal page okay, but as soon as I go to Discussions I get that page many others are seeing.

srb

« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2013, 11:08 pm »
Looks like they failed to renew their domain name on time or a rocky transition to another registry... 

I don't understand how any business could let a domain registration lapse.

Steve

Brad

« Reply #24 on: 13 May 2013, 11:22 pm »
They didn't renew until it expired this morning.
We should send them a reminder for May 13, 2018.     :roll:

medium jim

« Reply #25 on: 13 May 2013, 11:24 pm »
It pulls up okay from my iPhone, weird!?

Jim

ratso

« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2013, 12:37 am »
same thing happened last year, caused a minor panic for a while. sheesh  :duh:

vortrex

« Reply #27 on: 14 May 2013, 01:41 am »
the app.audiogon.com "server" is hosted in the Amazon cloud, which is regional.  some areas are probably having issues and others not.  it's been up for me all day in the west.

TomS

« Reply #28 on: 14 May 2013, 02:21 am »
Cleared my cache and it worked fine.

JohnR

« Reply #29 on: 14 May 2013, 09:50 am »
I don't use audiogon (used to, many years ago..) but I have to wonder. On the one hand, there's all the complaints about audiogon did this, audiogon did that, what a pile of shit audigon is I'll never use it ever again etc etc etc.

And then the minute there's an issue with the audiogon DNS there's a thread about not being able to access it...

srb

« Reply #30 on: 14 May 2013, 09:57 am »
And then the minute there's an issue with the audiogon DNS there's a thread about not being able to access it...

A lot of people who won't pay to list on Audiogon do still browse there to see what the same or similar items are selling for to help them set their price to sell here or on some of the other free classified sites.

Steve

JohnR

« Reply #31 on: 14 May 2013, 09:59 am »
Hi Steve, interesting point. Is that ethical and fair?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #32 on: 14 May 2013, 12:48 pm »
Fair? they still have my money for ads.. When they jumped from $2 they claimed the money could be used. Well it never did get used. I had to pay again, even though I had a positive balance.
When the finally went off the deep end  i stopped using them.
So is it fair of me to go there and browse? I want my ten bucks back.

Phil A

« Reply #33 on: 14 May 2013, 01:04 pm »
I don't use them all that often to sell vs. in the past.  They do have the audience so occasionally it is just easier.  I also will buy if I'm looking for something (picked up a Meitner MA-1 DAC a few months back).  I have no problem looking up what items sell for, whether or not I use them (and there are other places to look too).  I sold two DACs early in the year and had them both listed here and one on Audiogon.  I sold the higher priced one on Audiogon and the lower priced one here.  I've also had instances where items listed on Audiogon had no bites but it sold here.  It depends on the circumstances.  I may be selling a couple of things later this year before a move and probably list them here first at low prices just to avoid the hassle.  Obviously, if there prices were lower, I'd use them all the time as I did in the past.  If I'm looking to sell something (and I tend to rotate things to secondary systems or give them away more often than in the past), I'm not going to be overly bent out of shape to pay them some more fees, however, as noted, they see less of my business.  It's kind of like a dealer who has $2k list speakers and you ask what the deal is and the dealer says $2k and won't budge.  How many more speakers would the dealer sell if it did $1.8k.  Probably would make up for that on volume easily.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #34 on: 14 May 2013, 01:14 pm »
I agree with JohnR.

As Yogi is supposed to have said, "Nobody goes to that restaurant anymore, it's too crowded!".  :banghead:

Gene

decal

« Reply #35 on: 14 May 2013, 01:43 pm »
Why would it be not fair or unethical to compare prices?

JohnR

« Reply #36 on: 14 May 2013, 01:48 pm »
Why would it be not fair or unethical to compare prices?

Yeah, this is a furphy and you know it. If you're too lazy to look at the context then I guess so'm I......

decal

« Reply #37 on: 14 May 2013, 01:55 pm »
Just what are you implying John?

JohnR

« Reply #38 on: 14 May 2013, 01:57 pm »
I didn't imply anything, I said it plainly. Question to srb still stands...

srb

« Reply #39 on: 14 May 2013, 03:03 pm »
I didn't imply anything, I said it plainly. Question to srb still stands...

Of course it's fair and ethical to browse Audiogon for any reason, whether seeing what items are being listed for (you never know for sure what they actually sold for, as the seller might have accepted a lower offer) or to look at photos or whatever else entertains you *.

What's not fair and ethical (or legal) is to cancel an ad without paying the transaction fee (if not using the $25 flat fee listing) because either it was sold outside of the Audiogon Transactor or sold on another site like AudioCircle, Craigslist or U.S. Audio Mart, where you also had it listed.

* I was browsing Audio Asylum Trader classified ads, where I saw a listing for Lafayette Minuette II speakers, the first speakers I ever owned as a teenager.  Slender little real wood veneered columns, they featured 5" x 7" oval woofers and a cone tweeter.  They were paired with a Lafayette integrated amplifier and a Garrard turntable with ceramic cartridge.

I was very entertained with the ad listing:

"small teak/walnut alnico drivers speakers, they are quite decent looking but that's it. probably the worst speaker i have ever heard in my life, they are good for some background music (in the other room) with the loudness button of some vintage dark ss amps, with a set amp they have a almost decent midrange but have no usefull sound under 80 hz. i tried so hard to like them as they do look good as book ends, but i dont have any books. so if you want to really enjoy going back to the days of ignorance is bliss here is your chance of unaudophiling yourself, other uses great in your 70s mancave and you can hide at least 2 lbs of stash. paypal add 3%"

Steve