Floyd Toole Does Immersive Audio and WOW!

witchdoctor

Floyd Toole Does Immersive Audio and WOW!
« on: 27 May 2019, 10:17 am »
Floyd Toole literally wrote the book of sound reproduction,loud speaker design and room acoustics. Guess what my man uses at his own crib? An Auro 3D speaker layout JUST like the witchdoctor!!

Floyd Says:

"I choose to add moderate up-mixing to most of my stereo music, finding the adjustable Auro-3D implementation in the SDP-75 to be quite pleasant."

Duh! Do you think he prefers using auromatic upmixing of stereo content because it's unpleasant? For those of you contemplating where to drop cash on your next upgrade do yourself a favor and move UP to immersive audio.
Check out the diagram of his media room and notice how he throws shade on in ceiling speakers commonly used in an atmos layout:

"An in-ceiling loudspeaker is used as the Voice of God. Others could have replaced some or all of the elevation speakers. But, knowing that the direct sound has a dominant effect on timbre/sound quality I decided not to compromise, and used high quality bookshelf loudspeakers in custom mounts, aiming them at the prime listening location as shown in the following floor plan."

witchdoctor

guest61169

Re: Floyd Toole Does Immersive Audio and WOW!
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2019, 12:55 pm »
Nice room until you decide to change out a component and try to fit it into the old space without more construction.

goskers

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2019, 01:01 pm »
I am following a similar path to Dr. Toole’s albeit at a slower pace.

Expectations are high.

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2019, 03:06 pm »
I am following a similar path to Dr. Toole’s albeit at a slower pace.

Expectations are high.

You don't need a monster budget for an auro 3d setup. Floyd has 9 bed channels including wide channels at 60 degrees and then rear surrounds. The standard auro 3d configutation only uses 5 bed channels which many members already have. The 4 height channels can be installed on the walls above the L-R and surround speakers. The key is timber matching with the bed channels. The VOG channel is key but I didn't drill a hole in my ceiling, just mounted a bookshelf aiming down at the MLP. If I decide to do 4 subwoofers like he did I would get the SWARM system by Audiokinesis,.

http://www.audiokinesis.com/the-swarm-subwoofer-system-1.html

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2019, 05:19 pm »
You don't need a monster budget for an auro 3d setup.

No, but it helps. The Revel Salon2 speakers retail for $21,998. Stereophile (May 2019, Vol42 No5 pg 117) has a good Follow Up article, the speaker hasn't changed since the June 2008 Stereophile review.

Both Revel and JBL are owned by Harman International Industries. All I get from my business is free wood which isn't a bad deal either.

Based on the Stereophile Follow Up article I can see why Dr. Toole had to high-pass filter the Salon2's at 80 Hz, the speakers have strong bass to 16Hz and wall mounting certainly boosted that.
Great system and photos, thanks.

goskers

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2019, 06:34 pm »
Already have an SDP-75, M2 for LCR and a bunch of 305P for surround duty. Just finished framing in my basement which was previously unfinished. Next up will be electrical, plumbing and drywall. Project is moving along.

You don't need a monster budget for an auro 3d setup. Floyd has 9 bed channels including wide channels at 60 degrees and then rear surrounds. The standard auro 3d configutation only uses 5 bed channels which many members already have. The 4 height channels can be installed on the walls above the L-R and surround speakers. The key is timber matching with the bed channels. The VOG channel is key but I didn't drill a hole in my ceiling, just mounted a bookshelf aiming down at the MLP. If I decide to do 4 subwoofers like he did I would get the SWARM system by Audiokinesis,.

http://www.audiokinesis.com/the-swarm-subwoofer-system-1.html

witchdoctor

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2019, 06:57 pm »
Already have an SDP-75, M2 for LCR and a bunch of 305P for surround duty. Just finished framing in my basement which was previously unfinished. Next up will be electrical, plumbing and drywall. Project is moving along.

WOW! That is a great project being able to build the room you WANT from the ground (literally) up. Sounds like you have the makings of a dream theater, did you start a build thread?

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2019, 07:02 pm »
No, but it helps. The Revel Salon2 speakers retail for $21,998. Stereophile (May 2019, Vol42 No5 pg 117) has a good Follow Up article, the speaker hasn't changed since the June 2008 Stereophile review.

Both Revel and JBL are owned by Harman International Industries. All I get from my business is free wood which isn't a bad deal either.

Based on the Stereophile Follow Up article I can see why Dr. Toole had to high-pass filter the Salon2's at 80 Hz, the speakers have strong bass to 16Hz and wall mounting certainly boosted that.
Great system and photos, thanks.

Did you see who came in and calibrated the system for him? Kevin Voecks, the guy that designed those Revel speakers!