Off-Ramp 6 may be coming soon

audioengr

Off-Ramp 6 may be coming soon
« on: 20 Feb 2019, 02:18 am »
I have had the Off-Ramp 6 XMOS USB converter in my system for a while and it sounds wonderful with 44.1 and 96 tracks, but it seemed to malfunction with 192 tracks.  Turns-out that a friend brought over his XMOS USB converter because he wanted to hear it in my system and make bench measurements on it.  He also brought a Singxer USB converter.   The Off-Ramp 6 crushed them, but none of them would work at 192 with my DAC, so I believe the problem is my DACs S/PDIF input, not the Off-Ramp 6.

As a result, I plan to do another spin of the Off-Ramp 6 USB interface board and start production on the Off-Ramp 6.  I recently got a SOtM USB regenerator and two Wireworld Platinum USB cables.  This configuration now beats my best Ethernet.  I would not have thought it possible, but it's even more 3D and live sounding than Ethernet, at least using Amarra for playback app.  Both interfaces deliver 10psec of jitter over a 4-foot coax cable.  I still have the SOtM Switch to try on my Ethernet though, so that may bring Ethernet on-par with USB.

I have updated my recommended systems on empiricalaudio.com website to include the optimum Ethernet and USB configurations and all associated products and cables, many from other companies. Check it out:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/recommended-systems

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2019, 07:41 pm by audioengr »

audioengr

Off-Ramp 6 Beta test
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2019, 05:07 pm »
First new fab USB module PCB is back for the Off-Ramp 6.  Built one by hand and it worked first time  Complicated board because it's galvanically isolated (the right way).  Great sound quality and I'm using new lower jitter clocks on the Turboclock module.

I need a customer to do a beta test of the Off-Ramp 6.  It would be best if they had a DAC with no reclocker on the S/PDIF input or if the DAC had HDMI input, like the PSAudio.

Steve N.