Please recommend one PAL DVD that would show off my player

Tonto Yoder

As posted elsewhere, I bought a cheapie DVD player just 'cause it converted PAL to NTSC (a Cyberhome 300).  Now I'd like to know the limits of the player's abilities, so I'm asking for a PAL DVD recommendation.
If I play a disc that looks gorgeous through bubba's Tenlabs converter and it looks mediocre, I'll know it's the Cyberhome's limitation (understandable given that it's $35!).

Gordy's sending me a Kasey Chambers concert DVD, so that'll be one comparison.  Browsing the internet turned up
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004RJEJ/026-3726094-5099624
which is the KIND of movie I'm looking for (in fact,this is one of my favorite movies ever).
I'm not into most theatrical blockbusters, but might buy one just to see how limiting my little player is (kinda like putting a Classic Records LP on my Fisher Close-n-Play turntable).

Any help is appreciated

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2004, 07:30 pm »
I've watched this http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/2845 in PAL before, and it was a damn good disc (great movie too). I've not transcoded it though, so I can't say what it'd look like.

Season 2 of The Sopranos was amazingly clean.

The DTS copy of the Back To The Future box set I picked up from Australia looked pretty damn good, especially considering that those aren't that current.

Some of the discs I've rented locally have looked pretty good as well. I just can't think of them at the moment (haven't bothered to rent any PAL discs in a while).

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2004, 07:40 pm »
Thanks bubba,
admittedly, it's a kind of backwards way of looking for a DVD: normal people would look for titles FIRST, then ask themselves whether PAL/NTSC format is an issue.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2004, 11:03 am »
michael,
I ASKED for  ONE disc and ya give me a million!!! :D

Thanks though--I should be able to find a disc amongst all those choices.
About that DVD player, it was SO cheap that it scared me---I was afraid it couldn't possibly be good quality or would fall apart after a couple plays, but it seems OK.