Identify these reels please

toocool4

Identify these reels please
« on: 13 Feb 2022, 09:10 pm »
Hi Guys
             I am wondering if anyone can help me identify these reels, I am thinking they are Cine films but not sure?
My mother died last week and since my siblings and I are clearing out the house we found these reels, most of which are before we were born. It would be nice to identify what they are so I can get them transferred to DVD’s so we can watch them.

So if you know what they are, I would be grateful to know what they are and if you know a good place in England that can transfer them to DVD that would be helpful too.

SET Man

Re: Identify these reels please
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2022, 09:33 pm »
Hey!

From the look of the sprocket holes mostly likely to be 8mm movie films to me, it was a popular home movie format. If you have ruler it should measure about 8mm across. As for a place to transfer, can't help you there I'm in the US of A. But look for a good camera stores that still sell film, I'm sure they can do the transfer or recommend you a place to do so.

Buddy

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2022, 10:16 pm »
Most likely 8mm, but possibly Super8-- not quite the same thing.  Transfers are commonly available. 

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2022, 10:22 pm »
The large reel looks like recording tape.  I can't see the leader, or if it has perfs along one edge.  Movies have the perfs, reel to reel does not.  A camera store is a great suggestion.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2022, 10:39 pm »
By this side image posted these looks magnetic tape (audio) not celulloid tape (images).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_stock

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2022, 10:55 pm »
Hi Guys
             Thanks for all the suggestions, they are perforated on one side and they do measure 8mm. All the reels large, medium and small are 8mm.

Good idea about the camera shop, I still shoot films so I can ask at the camera shop I buy my films from.
Thanks again for the good ideas

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2022, 11:03 pm »
Perforated reels are films, if they are full black they have no images.

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2022, 11:13 pm »
They have images.

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2022, 01:38 am »
Sorry I can't help with your question but was combing through some posts here and saw this. My sincere condolences to you and your family on the loss of your mother; I hope you find fond memories from the tape.

toocool4

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2022, 08:22 am »
Jack the cat thanks for your kind words.
Someone has pointed me in the direction of this company www.savethosememories.co.uk, I will give them a call.

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2022, 09:29 pm »
Hey!

That company have some big name clientele there and it is in the UK and I assumed they're doing transfer there. I've heard horror story about a mail in transferring company here in the US where you would send them your stuff and they're in turn would gather them and ship a big load outsourcing the transferring work to places like India and of course things got lost halfway around the world.

Since these are priceless memories of you mom. If you have to ship them make sure you use the best shipping and traceable method and make sure they do the same when shipping back to you. Also, make sure they also send back the original.

And I'm sorry I didn't say this before, I saw the headline and pic and just I jumped into the question. Please accept my condolences for your loss.

Buddy

toocool4

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2022, 09:46 pm »
Hey SET Man no problem, everyone have been very nice.

When I send the reels to them, they will be well packed, insured and trackable. I will definitely ask for the originals back, when done. I have 18 reels to send out.
I have not had a chance to call them yet, too many other things to sort out first.

Thanks again.

/mp

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2022, 01:42 am »
It appears you question was answered. FYI, n mm film has sprocket holes on both sides; super n mm film has sprocket holes on only 1 side.