Really good Vintage Receivers - what’s your experience

mr_bill

Starting a thread here on great sounding vintage receivers and integrated amps - your experience or suggestions.

A lot of value with tuner, phono stage and preamp/amp.
May need recapping, work or alignments but many good techs out there. Risk with old products failing but you only live once and lower cost, some repairable, but still fun.

Pioneer, Sansui, Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, etc.
Some say they compete with today’s better equipment (Andrew Robinson recent YouTube review).

What gems have you owned or heard?  What are the really good sounding models?

Beatlebum

Re: Really good Vintage Receivers - what’s your experience
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2021, 05:09 pm »

Love my restored and museum quality Sansui 5000X. Really nice phonostage as well.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2021, 06:04 pm »
Don't forget Harman Kardon, Tandberg, McIntosh, Kenwood, Sony

Of course some models are better than others. I think old Tandberg stuff is beautiful, but not nearly as easy or inexpensive to maintain/repair as say a Marantz or Pioneer. Fun stuff to look into nonetheless. Receivers of that era are very well built in general. Hard to go wrong, really.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2021, 06:50 pm »
I used a NAD 7155 receiver until a few years ago. Classic NAD industrial styling with better than average sound.

I bought the 7155 new in 1985. The addition of the very short Straight Wire Encore 2 jumper cables between the pre-out and amp-in cleaned up the sound. The sound was mellow with slightly rolled off highs that were very smooth. The NAD was a perfect match for the Klipsch Quartet speakers which would get shouty and piercing at high volumes (like all Klipsch) with other solid state electronics like the Adcom higher power amps I tried them with. With the NAD I could play the Klipsch as loud as live music and they still sounded great.

After the pre-amp section died I used the amp section with another pre-amp. I discovered the NAD pre-amp was the weak link in the receiver. The amp section was fantastic and a true classic. NAD really goofed up with this receiver. If they had put more effort in the pre-amp section this receiver would have easily competed with the best separates of that era.

Not a receiver but close is the Adcom GTP400 and GFA535 combo. I bought the combo in 1991, gave it to a friend in 2008 and it still sounds wonderful today.

veloceleste

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2021, 07:08 pm »

« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2023, 05:49 pm by veloceleste »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2021, 07:08 pm »
Of course as with all things stereo a lot is opinion, but I do wish I still had my 1st system Marantz 1060 integrated.

From the available online info they still bring a fairly healthy price at $999 & up.  :duh:  My original system: Marantz 1060, Marantz 105B tuner, 2 wood cases, Pio PLA145D turntable, Shure M91ED cartridge, and two Advent Utility speakers (still in service in garage system) totaled $745 in '74.  :o

I do still have a second system Onkyo A-8017 purchased in the early-mid '80s, going strong, currently in my garage system. Still sounds great to me with the Advents.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2021, 09:12 pm »
Of course as with all things stereo a lot is opinion, but I do wish I still had my 1st system Marantz 1060 integrated.

And a Marantz 1060 is the only unit I ever owned that I wouldn't sell at all- I'd just throw it away.  Just past warranty it started intermittent noise, and finally crapped out about 4 years after I bought it.  Replace it with a much more powerful, and better sounding, Sherwood 8900 receiver. 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2021, 10:48 pm »
I really liked the original Carver Receiver when it first came out, it was such a step up from the Kenwood integrated it replaced.

Finally blew it up for good the night I had my first sinus surgery which was a really bad moment!

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2021, 12:36 am »
I have an Eico HF-81 and I wouldn't be afraid to put it up against basically nearly every stereo on the forum. It's for my retro stereo, and it's stellar.

There's a few other nice ones like Fisher 500, a few Scotts, and some model of Heath Kit.

For solid state the only thing notable is the Marantz 3559.

S Clark

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2021, 12:47 am »
I have an Eico HF-81 and I wouldn't be afraid to put it up against basically nearly every stereo on the forum. It's for my retro stereo, and it's stellar.
Those are really highly thought of.  It's basically two HF12 amps run by a single power transformer.  Two separate HF12's are even better, and usually cheaper. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2021, 01:08 pm »
I used a NAD 7155 receiver until a few years ago. Classic NAD industrial styling with better than average sound.

I bought the 7155 new in 1985. The addition of the very short Straight Wire Encore 2 jumper cables between the pre-out and amp-in cleaned up the sound. The sound was mellow with slightly rolled off highs that were very smooth. The NAD was a perfect match for the Klipsch Quartet speakers which would get shouty and piercing at high volumes (like all Klipsch) with other solid state electronics like the Adcom higher power amps I tried them with. With the NAD I could play the Klipsch as loud as live music and they still sounded great.

Lastly, the Pioneer VSX

After the pre-amp section died I used the amp section with another pre-amp. I discovered the NAD pre-amp was the weak link in the receiver. The amp section was fantastic and a true classic. NAD really goofed up with this receiver. If they had put more effort in the pre-amp section this receiver would have easily competed with the best separates of that era.

Not a receiver but close is the Adcom GTP400 and GFA535 combo. I bought the combo in 1991, gave it to a friend in 2008 and it still sounds wonderful today.

I'm adding the classic NAD 3020B to the list, but can't without noting nearly the exact same experience.   My preamp section didn't die, but for s&g I tried the amp section with some Maggie MMGs, they say high current, right?  The 20 watter did okay, but ultimately doesn't have the bass kick that you'd like to see.  And yes, dumping those steel jumpers improves the sound immensely.  I had it recapped some years ago and although not using it presently I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

And your addendum about the classic Adcom GFA 535II is also well taken.  The dual mono design with a single set of transistors is still a great amp, sweet sounding with a great soundstage.  While not having the drive of is big brother GFA 555, it also doesn't have the glare and brittle treble that can sometimes surface on that amp.  Still enjoying it today fronted with a PS Audio 4.6.

And lastly the Pioneer VSX D912 that Dr Earl Geddes made famous when he used it to drive his speakers at a big audio show because it has the lowest switching distortion of any amp he measured.  A very fussy cbip amp that shuts down when impedances fall below 8 ohms, and doesn't sound very good before it does, in opposition to the NAD the reason this one sounds great is the preamp section.  Sweet and detailed, who knows what the engineers did over there, but if you have difficult speaker loads add on some beefy amps for a classic winner.  Or if you can find some speakers that don't drop below 8 ohms anywhere in the audio band where it sounds great.

lazydays

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2021, 05:35 am »
many moons ago, I was wanting to buy an Onkyo A9 intergrated amp. Rare as hen's teeth at the time. Ontop of that I wanted the T-9 tuner. The tuner was easy as everybody was running with their hair on fire buying the latest Pioneer or Marantz piece of junk. The tuner is (or was) almost tube like in sound. I liked it so well that after selling it; I bought another and then two more. Yet no A9 amp! I found an Accuphase E202 for somewhere around $275 out the door. Needless to say a killer combo and bargin basement prices (think less than five hundred out the door. The combo was simply smoking hot at the time, and used it for many years. Had it recapped and new output transistors at the sametime many years later. Had a pretty good phono section, but also not the latest  either. Plenty good enough. The E202 did not like 4ohm circuts, and that's why it got new out put transistors. Still one of the best intergrated amps I've listened to this very day. Even my wife (at the time) loved it.

Moving on; I moved into tubes. Sonic Frontiers was exceptional to me. But finances caused me to sell it to pay a series of tickets for going way too fast. Then had the Anthem clone (well not quite); plus a couple others. To be truthful I love the sound of tubes. I find an Odyssey pair of Stratos mono blocs for a good price, and buy them for a future project that involved Maggies. Yet the Maggies just didn't fit into the room, so they stayed boxed up in the loft for a year or two. Had some issues with the Anthem amp, and gave to a friend in need. Called Mr. Bunge and asked about a tune up. Took care of that part as Mr. Bunge works. They sounded wonderful! I was driving Meadowlark Hotrods, and they never sounded that good before. But also tuner-less! I've been thru a eight or ten tuners and all had one thing in common; they stunk! Now I have a solid line on an Onkyo 9090, so maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel. While all this was going on we had a massive lightening strike out back, and cooked both amps. Mr. Bunge wanted to fix them on warranty, but was not having that! So we worked out a behind closed doors deal that he was to upgrade the amps to his max and I was to buy a bunch of cables. Several hundred dollars later I have the very first glass ceiling amps on the planet. You heard the difference even before they were broke in! Then I bought his tube preamp. Great sound, but wanted more out of it. I had a Quicksilver and a Conrad Johnson pair of preamps that fit my needs better (still no good tuner). I latch onto a Sansui A717 tuner in near new condition. It was OK, but I liked the T9 better. My main issue with the Candella was lack of inputs and no tape loop! The sound was great. The quicksilver and the Candella have a similar sound but the latter is a tiny bit brighter with more gain; plus the Quicksilver has a tape loop. I personally liked the Conrad Johnson best, and it has a tape loop. I'm pretty happy with what I got with one exception. None have a phono card! Darlington looks like the direction to go to. Before that I used a George Wright, and just loved it!! Yet it was a pain in the butt, and have tried two or three others as well. The AVA has a nice detailed sound but wanted more bass out of it. It still a fine phono preamp. Have one other that's name escapes me. Just run from that one! What I'd really like is a preamp with a removable phono input (to upgrade), a tape one and two, and a removable DAC that has two analog and several digital inputs (I know I don't want too much!)
gary

BobM

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jun 2021, 11:33 am »
Those of us who grew up drooling over these boxes of knobs will always have a soft spot for them. The design was magnificent and all the control ... well you only get that with AV receivers thee days. The sound was vintage and still is. I think you can get better sound from modern equipment, unless you are shooting for that vintage thing. But modern equipment has prices that are through the roof, and consequently some of these old beasties have become more expensive than they were when purchased new, but not all.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jun 2021, 02:27 pm »
Who else remembers all of the full page ads for receivers in National Lampoon?
If only I had the money they'd be mine, all mine!

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2021, 02:37 pm »
Who else remembers all of the full page ads for receivers in National Lampoon?
If only I had the money they'd be mine, all mine!

I still have 6-7 years of Nat Lamps I could never part with..........

Back on topic - not a receiver but my daughter is still using my (hers) Yamaha CA 1010 I wish I could get back.....

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2021, 05:04 pm »
classic NAD 3020B

The NAD 3020 (and 7020) set new standards in sound quality at a really aggressive price. But to get that price, build quality was compromises and they do break.

Onkyo A9

A really good amplifier. We sold a lot more T9s (the companion tuner), and the contemporary TX4500 receiver was an outstanding piece in the day, outperforming, Sony, Pioneer, others that we also sold.

In Canada, and NA in general, Onkyo did not get the love they should.

dave

dave

S Clark

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2021, 06:05 pm »
I had a NAD C160 preamp.  It was in use when Gary Dodd put his then prototype battery pre in my system... the contrast was so great that it propelled me into the world of better equipment and impacted my checking account for years to come. 
There may be exceptions but the rule is that modern designs are better than vintage ones. 

Donald

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jun 2021, 06:20 pm »
My Pioneer SX-1250 is still my favorite. Bought new in the 70’s. Going to have it refreshed one of these days then pass it on to my son.

charmerci

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2021, 07:20 pm »
When I was a teen, I wanted the Technics SA-500. Maybe I should have gotten one, just kept it and saved up all the money that I've spent on electronics since then for my retirement! lol One thing I've never forgiven my brother in college for, was he bought for me a really great sounding Yamaha SR-620. Then he told me to send it back for his gf and sent back the third worst sounding component I've ever owned, a Kenwood integrated amp. (The other two were an SAE parametric equalizer pre-amp and of course, the awful Bose 301 mkII.)

Mudslide

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2021, 07:54 pm »
When I was a teen, I wanted the Technics SA-500. Maybe I should have gotten one, just kept it and saved up all the money that I've spent on electronics since then for my retirement! lol One thing I've never forgiven my brother in college for, was he bought for me a really great sounding Yamaha SR-620. Then he told me to send it back for his gf and sent back the third worst sounding component I've ever owned, a Kenwood integrated amp. (The other two were an SAE parametric equalizer pre-amp and of course, the awful Bose 301 mkII.)

Ugh!  Thanks for the bad memory.  I had, and loved, a Technics SA-500 way back when.  I badly needed money (almost way back when) and sold the gem for .... $40.   :slap: