What were your first speakers?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: What were your first speakers?
« Reply #40 on: 19 Sep 2021, 03:32 pm »
Early 70's: JBL L44 (10" x 10" x 20", 8" single whizzerless driver with 8" passive radiator, very efficient). 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #41 on: 19 Sep 2021, 04:55 pm »
70s Pioneer CS-05s from my parents, then Sapphire Audio surround setup (bookshelves/center/dipole surrounds and separate bookshelves).

Those were my first real speakers.

veloceleste

« Reply #42 on: 19 Sep 2021, 04:58 pm »
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2023, 05:41 pm by veloceleste »

charmerci

« Reply #43 on: 19 Sep 2021, 05:11 pm »
I can't remember. My older brother and I shared stereo equipment. I think he made me buy his large home Jensen speakers so he could buy some more expensive stereo equipment.  :lol:

WGH

« Reply #44 on: 19 Sep 2021, 05:22 pm »
My first speakers were DIY stereo speakers that had a single driver with a whizzer cone in a plywood box I made, don't remember the size because it was the early 1960's. It's probably the reason I dislike single driver speakers to this day.
The first real speaker was the KLH 17, not bad for the price.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #45 on: 19 Sep 2021, 07:29 pm »
1976, spent all my money on a pair of JBL 4311B. Loved them, don't miss them.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #46 on: 20 Sep 2021, 03:34 am »
Boston Acoustics CR8.

mgalusha

« Reply #47 on: 20 Sep 2021, 04:26 am »
DIY from the early 70's until about 2000, bought some Polk that I got rid of quickly.

Craig B

« Reply #48 on: 20 Sep 2021, 10:59 am »
My first speaker was built into a small record player that only played 7" discs.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #49 on: 20 Sep 2021, 12:10 pm »
Some bookshelf model of Scott speakers, replaced with the first real speakers, Allison Three's.

Digi-G

« Reply #50 on: 20 Sep 2021, 12:41 pm »
My first speakers I bought that weren't part of an All-In-One system were Utahs.  No idea of the model number.  Late 1970s.  These may have been nice speakers at one time but by the time I got them they were way past their prime, with blown tweeters that I was unable to fix.

My first real / new speakers were B&W DM220's.  Loved them and still have fond memories of them.  Mid 1980s.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #51 on: 20 Sep 2021, 01:15 pm »
1975, a pair of 3 way speakers with a brand name HAL. Blasted the hell out them for years until I graduated college and then bought some JBL L-72's.

Craig B

« Reply #52 on: 20 Sep 2021, 02:21 pm »
If the question is more about individual speakers, the first ones I ever bought as part of a component stereo system were a pair of Cerwin-Vegas, the model designation long since lost to memory. They looked a bit like this pair, in that the grille frame didn't cover the whole front baffle (though mine were 10" 2-ways, and it was long before C-V used red foam surrounds). They were sold to me by a bait-and-switch sales person at Playback (the Electronic Playground) in the summer of 1974. They were supposed to be JBL L-19 Decades, but when it came time to actually buy the system, they said they were no longer JBL dealers, and this was the best they could do for the agreed upon price. I was a kid (about to start my sophomore year of college) and didn't know any better. Instead of walking away, I agreed to it. They were pretty much nothing but super high-efficiency boom-and-sizzle boxes. I lived with them for about three years before I started upgrading.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #53 on: 20 Sep 2021, 02:48 pm »
  Fischer.

charles

whell

« Reply #54 on: 20 Sep 2021, 05:43 pm »
It was 1977, was 15 years old and had saved up my paper route money to buy a receiver.  My dad drove me over to the old Tech Hifi "Bargain Center" store on 8 Mile Rd in Detroit.  I bought a Technics SA-5550 receiver, open box, scratch and dent, but worked like a champ. 

The salesman then asked: "What speakers are you going to use with this?"   I didn't have a pair of speakers, so I replied "Well, I was hoping to borrow my brother's headphones."

The salesman said: "Wait just a sec."   He went in the back room, foraged around for a minute, then came out with a pair of Tech Hifi house brand (TDC) speakers.  They were kinda beat up, but they worked.  I was so grateful I almost passed out. 

There are some good people in this hobby of ours....  :)

Theronbo

« Reply #55 on: 20 Sep 2021, 09:48 pm »
KLH bookshelf speakers circa 1976.

Later I made a three way based on Philips drivers & crossover only about $50 parts for some pretty amazing speakers…

12” woofers, 5” sealed midrange & 1” dome tweeter. Built sealed box of particle board… stuffed with wall fiberglass insulation… just hand tools & a skill saw.

Had a Marantz 2230 amp & Pioneer PL12 turntable.

There was a used electronics store in Toronto: EPO “Electronic Parts Outlet” … they sold old used electronics.

But upstairs they had a small room with tables & boxes of drivers & crossovers… & a small shelf of self help DYI books on speaker construction.

I think the woofer enclosures were like 30”x18x18”, mount the midrange & tweeter in conventional pattern. - even made a speaker cover using burlap as speaker cloth. Painted it with a brush… chocolate brown…

Yes 5hey looked home made… but sounded pretty amazing… phenomenal clarity.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #56 on: 20 Sep 2021, 10:36 pm »
Technics SB-7000a with Sansui AU-717 I purchased in NYC.
My Dad thought I was crazy.  :duh:

Saturn94

« Reply #57 on: 20 Sep 2021, 11:00 pm »
Magnepan SMG around 1982.  :thumb:

Since then I’ve had ADS, Salk, and Soundfield Audio, but currently running Magnepan LRS.  I’ve come full circle I guess!

FireGuy

« Reply #58 on: 21 Sep 2021, 01:11 am »
Bought in Japan 1977.  Sold them four years ago.  $95 each when purchased.

Samac

« Reply #59 on: 21 Sep 2021, 01:22 am »
It was 1977, was 15 years old and had saved up my paper route money to buy a receiver.  My dad drove me over to the old Tech Hifi "Bargain Center" store on 8 Mile Rd in Detroit.  I bought a Technics SA-5550 receiver, open box, scratch and dent, but worked like a champ. 

The salesman then asked: "What speakers are you going to use with this?"   I didn't have a pair of speakers, so I replied "Well, I was hoping to borrow my brother's headphones."

The salesman said: "Wait just a sec."   He went in the back room, foraged around for a minute, then came out with a pair of Tech Hifi house brand (TDC) speakers.  They were kinda beat up, but they worked.  I was so grateful I almost passed out. 

There are some good people in this hobby of ours....  :)

:thumb:
Great story, whell. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Scott