Replicate the Line Source series of speakers

Mike 1960

Re: Replicate the Line Source series of speakers
« Reply #20 on: 8 Nov 2021, 06:05 pm »
So. how did you get real response from the speakers?

Mike 1960

« Reply #21 on: 8 Nov 2021, 06:09 pm »
A devl of a time.
Please explain. and how you fixt it.

Mike 1960

« Reply #22 on: 8 Nov 2021, 06:25 pm »
Someone was just telling me that they were downsizing and they were going to have to sell their LS-9's.

I told them they could list them for sale here in our forum on AC.

As I said earlier. I don't want to buy anything. I want to "build" the best I can!

Mike 1960

« Reply #23 on: 8 Nov 2021, 06:30 pm »
Does anyone here understand that that?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 8 Nov 2021, 07:07 pm »
Building a pair of speakers, especially line sourse speakers, is going to involve a lot of planning, discussion, knowledge and skill.
And I'm getting the feeling you're already in way over your head with such a project.

Most of us here simply dont have that level ok skill or knowledge to really help you.

Giving Danny a call will be your best option to help get you get a plan started, as well as asking around on "The Lab" circle and "the planar" circle and asking around on other forums to get more of the information and recommendations for picking out the drivers and how to design the crossover from scratch. Etc.

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 8 Nov 2021, 08:52 pm »
Why is that so ambitious? The enclosure construction or something else.

To get the lines of drivers to match in sensitivity and impedance required custom drivers to have to be made for that application. Driver design is typically a little beyond the know how and resources for most people.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #26 on: 9 Nov 2021, 02:19 am »
Does anyone here understand that that?
Yes. Good luck.  Build it and see how it turns out.  There are some white papers on line source design (can't remember by who at the moment).  Find it, read, and read some more. 
I do remember that part of the improvement to the student design was damping the rear output- something I'd never thought to try. 

NoahH

« Reply #27 on: 9 Nov 2021, 02:28 am »
Mike - line arrays are basically the hardest speakers to make. They have a huge amount of math and design needed to make them work because they are not just a couple cones, they are cones acting in super weird interaction with each other. Coming on a forum and asking for help with it is a high challenge. It would be like going on a forum for people who make kit cars and asking for help making a helicopter. Folks get the mechanics and can kinda point you in the right direction, but it is jumping in deep and you can't expect people to help you through that.

NoahH

« Reply #28 on: 9 Nov 2021, 02:34 am »
I realize I should clarify: it is not that line arrays are hard to mechanically build. It is that they are hard to design. If the curve of the baffle is a few degrees off, if the drivers are slightly too close, etc, then you just get a horror show of comb filtering.

dB Cooper

« Reply #29 on: 9 Nov 2021, 03:44 am »
I have never heard a line array that impressed me, at any price. All have had bizarre imaging behavior, usually with the sound seeming to come from a clothesline strung between the tops of the towers, a problem that worsens the closer you get. Same goes for MTM towers dnd more complex variations on that approach. Dynamic, planar, doesn't matter, both suffer from this. Worst of all, I seem to be the only one responding this way. No thanks.

subsonic1050

« Reply #30 on: 9 Nov 2021, 04:11 am »
I have never heard a line array that impressed me, at any price. All have had bizarre imaging behavior, usually with the sound seeming to come from a clothesline strung between the tops of the towers, a problem that worsens the closer you get. Same goes for MTM towers dnd more complex variations on that approach. Dynamic, planar, doesn't matter, both suffer from this. Worst of all, I seem to be the only one responding this way. No thanks.

Have you heard the NX-Treme's? Mine sound unbelievable and I'm sitting very close to them. They also have fantastic imaging - best I've ever heard.

WGH

« Reply #31 on: 9 Nov 2021, 04:12 am »
If the OP want's to stick 50 full range drivers in 2 tall boxes then DIY Audio has all the info he needs to get started.

The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/242171-towers-25-driver-range-line-array.html

50 drivers at $9.80 each - Peerless by Tymphany TC9FD18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer

But wait...there's more over at AVS Forum

"The easiest build would be 16 Vifa [Peerless] 3.5 inch full ranges in a quick and dirty sealed box with parametric EQ."

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/are-there-any-diy-line-source-not-line-array-speaker-designs-out-there.3207394/page-2#post-60886727

And if you order within the next 15 minutes you get a 2 free gifts:

Design Guidelines for Practical Near Field Line Arrays by James R. Griffin, Ph.D.
www.audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf

The downside to DIY Line Arrays

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/28345-the-downside-to-diy-line-arrays

S Clark

« Reply #32 on: 9 Nov 2021, 01:56 pm »
Thanks, Wayne.  That paper by Griffin is the one I read years ago. It helps, some.  There are lots of LS designs out there, but only a handful of professional designs. 
Danny's are the only ones I know that got any buzz at the shows, and the best, by far, of the few that I've heard. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 9 Nov 2021, 02:04 pm »
Have you heard the NX-Treme's? Mine sound unbelievable and I'm sitting very close to them. They also have fantastic imaging - best I've ever heard.

The NX-Treme are line array, not line source. Since they only have 1 tweeter rather than a whole line of tweeters

subsonic1050

« Reply #34 on: 9 Nov 2021, 04:54 pm »
The NX-Treme are line array, not line source. Since they only have 1 tweeter rather than a whole line of tweeters

Yes, I'm aware they are line array. Dbcoopers post, to which I was responding, said he had never heard a line array that impressed him.

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 9 Nov 2021, 09:14 pm »
The LS-9's hang an image that is big, wide and deep with precise image specificity.  Most line arrays are not power tapered and they image like you said.  Not so the LS-9.

Mike 1960

« Reply #36 on: 10 Nov 2021, 09:39 pm »
So, how did you get it right? I thought I would go back to you tube and revisit some of the vids of the Line source and line array. Then I looked at the vid from New record day about the Line force and the Super mini. What they talked about those two speakers was exactly what I found when I first bought the Neo 8 pdf. It was still just $62.00 when I got them.
It was a transformation for me. I mean moving from dome tweeters. Of any kind.
This was meant for the fella that was helping a student.

Mike 1960

« Reply #37 on: 10 Nov 2021, 09:52 pm »
Mike - line arrays are basically the hardest speakers to make. They have a huge amount of math and design needed to make them work because they are not just a couple cones, they are cones acting in super weird interaction with each other. Coming on a forum and asking for help with it is a high challenge. It would be like going on a forum for people who make kit cars and asking for help making a helicopter. Folks get the mechanics and can kinda point you in the right direction, but it is jumping in deep and you can't expect people to help you through that.
Wow. Thank you. I don't expect to get it right right away. I just want to experiment with it the best I can. Saying it's unobtanium is absurd. No I'm not educated in this field. It's a hobby.
But I have been involved for 50 years.

S Clark

« Reply #38 on: 10 Nov 2021, 10:01 pm »
So, how did you get it right?...
This was meant for the fella that was helping a student.
Mike, I'll send you a PM with more info.
S Clark

Mike 1960

« Reply #39 on: 10 Nov 2021, 10:06 pm »
If the OP want's to stick 50 full range drivers in 2 tall boxes then DIY Audio has all the info he needs to get started.

The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/242171-towers-25-driver-range-line-array.html

50 drivers at $9.80 each - Peerless by Tymphany TC9FD18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer

But wait...there's more over at AVS Forum

So far have just looked at the down side of Line arrays. Hopefully it isn't the same for Line source.

"The easiest build would be 16 Vifa [Peerless] 3.5 inch full ranges in a quick and dirty sealed box with parametric EQ."

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/are-there-any-diy-line-source-not-line-array-speaker-designs-out-there.3207394/page-2#post-60886727

And if you order within the next 15 minutes you get a 2 free gifts:

Design Guidelines for Practical Near Field Line Arrays by James R. Griffin, Ph.D.
www.audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf

The downside to DIY Line Arrays

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/28345-the-downside-to-diy-line-arrays

This has nothing to do with Line source.