Review of Pioneer 47Ai with Universal Truth Mods

Doug_B

« on: 1 Feb 2004, 04:47 am »
I have posted a review of the mods in this thread in the Critic's Circle. It's actually a summary of my review. Within the initial post is a link to a full review on my website.

I would appreciate that any discussion of this review be provided in the Critic's Circle thread.

Oh, if you want a summary of the summary - yes, I'm happy with my modded unit.

Thanks.

Doug

modwright

Thank You!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2004, 06:22 pm »
Thanks Doug, I really appreciate the link to the review summary and to the FULL review on your site.  You have been very thorough and I believe objective in your review and I really appreciate that.

I agree with you that the modified 47Ai is better than the stock Denon 2900.  I am finallizing tube mods for the Denon 2900 right now and it IS better than the Pioneer, but also at a price.  The Denon tube mods are $1200.

I try to provide the best value for each of our mods and I believe that dollar for dollar, you will be very pleased with ModWright's work.  Will you get better performance if you spend more money?  Yes.  Is it necessary to spend K$ to get great sound?  Absolutely not.

I really appreciate your candid assessment of the work, relative to its price point and your comparison to units that are in the same price range and ballpark.

I believe that you are also accurate in your statement that you will get most of the improvement with the Basic MCH mods.  The tubes DO improve the sound and provide a quality that only tubes CAN.  The tubes also replace a significant amount of circuitry that would otherwise be handled by op-amps.

In summary, I believe that this unit, as well as the 47A and 45A (all similar units with same mods options) all offer high-performance cost-effective upgrades solutions for Universal Players.

Thank you!

Dan

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2004, 04:12 am »
I got to hear Dan's work on two pieces yesterday for the first time.  My fullest recommendation spewest forth!  Dan good, dan good.

modwright

Thank you!
« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2004, 05:58 pm »
Thanks Josh, I appreciate that.

From the looks of the picture, Rup has some pretty 'stylin' digs :).  Great looking system and a VERY cool room.  I gather that Rup is either not married or has a VERY understanding wife or girlfriend ;).

I have a music room to myself also and my wife IS very understanding.

Take care,

Dan

Doug_B

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2004, 06:00 pm »
Dan,

It was a pleasure writing the review, as I am getting much pleasure listening to the unit. Although your Denon mods sound intriguing as well, I am satisfied enough with my modded unit that I can instead focus on other areas of my system for my next upgrades. [Oh, and a new hobby of mine is starting to eat into my wallet as well - Astronomy.]

Thanks.

Doug