« on: 9 Dec 2006, 04:24 pm »
A new D•100 review can be found here
http://www.stereomojo.com/REVIEWS.htm#channelislands

Psychicanimal

Re: New D•100 Review at StereoMojo.com
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2006, 08:20 pm »
A new D•100 review can be found here
http://www.stereomojo.com/REVIEWS.htm#channelislands

Another audio snob reviewer with no technical expertise, no power delivery/noise control measures and 'warm' (read dark), HF rolled off copper interconnects.  :nono:

Oh and this 'positive' summary:

"...recommended to all audiophiles looking to upgrade from a lesser mid-fi receiver or integrated amp or even a similarly priced separates system."

Bet if he uses one of Dusty's passive preamps & my Ridge Street IC's he would have a reality check, especially on the HF extension and linearity of his system.  After all, Frank Van Alstine says a lot of good reasons not to pay attention to such reviewers... :duh:

Dusty, the amp guru in Audio Mojo is Tom Stalker, AKA Nightdoggy.  He's an EE & has so much knowledge of power amplifiers I know of no one with such experience.  Oh, he wants me to sell him my Marantz monoblocks... :nono:

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2006, 08:44 pm »
Another audio snob reviewer with no technical expertise, no power delivery/noise control measures and 'warm' (read dark), HF rolled off copper interconnects. 

Oh and this 'positive' summary:

"...recommended to all audiophiles looking to upgrade from a lesser mid-fi receiver or integrated amp or even a similarly priced separates system."

Bet if he uses one of Dusty's passive preamps & my Ridge Street IC's he would have a reality check, especially on the HF extension and linearity of his system.  After all, Frank Van Alstine says a lot of good reasons not to pay attention to such reviewers...

Dusty, the amp guru in Audio Mojo is Tom Stalker, AKA Nightdoggy.  He's an EE & has so much knowledge of power amplifiers I know of no one with such experience.  Oh, he wants me to sell him my Marantz monoblocks...

As I've mentioned in other threads...
whether a reviewer loves, hates, or recommends a product, I would never make a buying decision based on a review. It is one persons opinion that a consumer can consider when narrowing down his search for the product that fits his needs.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2006, 12:23 am »
>> After all, Frank Van Alstine says a lot of good reasons not to pay attention to such reviewers  <<

Where did I say that?

Frank Van Alstine

Psychicanimal

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2006, 02:15 pm »
>> After all, Frank Van Alstine says a lot of good reasons not to pay attention to such reviewers  <<

Where did I say that?

Frank Van Alstine

Your audio magazine...and forum aa

I'm really enjoying reading it how you describe how reviewers call this response "detail" or that as "air"...how impedance affects frequency response of an interconnect, etc.  I agree with you 100% on this one--remember the 'review' of your FET/valve amp @ the Chicago Audio Society?  The review says your amp was good but not really up there because it lacked 'microdynamics'.  Yeah, right... :nono:

My little sister just got married & I'm recommending a 'microdynamics lacking' hybrid amp & Dusty's new remote controlled passive preamp to my brother in law.  Hope there is no impedance 'mismatch'...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2006, 11:00 am »
I read reviews, but they have to be taken with a grain of salt.  How many times have you read a guys reviews over the years and found yourself thinking there are a lot of guys at AC that I find a lot more knowledgeable and credible than him.