New Trim rings!

audiogoober

Re: New Trim rings!
« Reply #40 on: 27 Aug 2014, 10:22 pm »
Mine arrived yesterday and all went on with ease. Wow. As several other members have already mentioned.... there is a noticeable improvement in the lower end and midrange with the new rings installed. This is the case in both systems here, and not by small margins.

+1 on the no-brainer. :thumb:

rawhit

« Reply #41 on: 1 Sep 2014, 08:54 pm »
I just finished installing mine on Athena. So far my  reaction is a bit mixed :?
After installing these the grills don't fit well. They don't fall off as such but are mostly hanging from top magnetic attachment. The bottom two magnetic contacts don't directly connect because of the extra few mm added by trim ring.
Sound wise, its probably better (moved a new place and the system is in a state of flux) so will have to continue listening to form an opinion on that.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #42 on: 1 Sep 2014, 09:08 pm »
I just finished installing mine on Athena. So far my  reaction is a bit mixed :?
After installing these the grills don't fit well. They don't fall off as such but are mostly hanging from top magnetic attachment. The bottom two magnetic contacts don't directly connect because of the extra few mm added by trim ring.
Sound wise, its probably better (moved a new place and the system is in a state of flux) so will have to continue listening to form an opinion on that.

It sounds like you need to use the gaskets under the trim ring to ensure a better, tighter fit.  I'm not sure what you mean by "magnetic attachment" as these screw on mechanically.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #43 on: 1 Sep 2014, 10:03 pm »
It sounds like you need to use the gaskets under the trim ring to ensure a better, tighter fit.  I'm not sure what you mean by "magnetic attachment" as these screw on mechanically.

I think he means the magnets that hold the speaker grills in place. My recommendation is to ditch the speaker grills. His ears will thank me.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #44 on: 1 Sep 2014, 11:49 pm »

We found that on some the grills need to be altered to fit tightly after the trim ring install.  Anyone is welcome to send them back and we will fix that at no charge.

thanks,
lou

rawhit

« Reply #45 on: 2 Sep 2014, 02:43 am »
We found that on some the grills need to be altered to fit tightly after the trim ring install.  Anyone is welcome to send them back and we will fix that at no charge.

thanks,
lou

Thanks Lou!

Email coming your way :)

Roger

« Reply #46 on: 3 Sep 2014, 04:39 am »
The Trim rings work great! I don't know where lou comes up with these ideas. Every update he does is for the better. Thank You!

dodgealum

« Reply #47 on: 4 Sep 2014, 07:31 pm »
Picked up the trim rings at the CAF and finally got them installed on my DA-1.1 AP/V2s over Labor Day weekend. Like Laura, I needed to use one additional gasket to raise the driver a bit so that a proper seal could be formed. The video was helpful in showing how to put on the trim rings and the whole process took me about an hour or so. I decided to use a 1/8 hex wrench and do everything by hand--I didn't want to risk damage to the driver but I also found that I had a much better feel for the torque that was being applied and that I could tighten the screws more uniformly by hand. For me it was like the difference between walking a golf course and taking a cart--the cart gets you to the ball quicker but you miss seeing the nuances of how the hole lays out since you gain various perspectives as you approach your ball on foot. I was amazed at how much more securely the drivers were affixed using the trim ring as opposed to just the screws--it left me anticipating what sonic benefits might be in store. I was not disappointed, despite some initial skepticism. I am finding that the overall presentation is more focused, with cleaner vocals rising above a more controlled lower midrange/upper bass. I also hear slightly less "bloom" in the bass, leaving a slightly less romantic sound but still plenty of body. I think in my system/room, where the bass can be ever so slightly accentuated at certain frequencies, the trim rings have brought the lower registers into greater coherence with the overall sound. Overall, unlike for example the AP crossovers or V2 upgrades, the changes I am describing are pretty subtle--but they are noticeable and welcome refinements to what was already a phenomenal speaker system. Many thanks Lou for continuing to make design upgrades available to owners of your earlier loudspeaker designs. This is one of many ways in which your business model is both unique and estimable.

dodgealum

« Reply #48 on: 6 Sep 2014, 01:53 am »
Some pics with the trim rings.

dodgealum

« Reply #49 on: 11 Sep 2014, 08:47 pm »
Lou: Really loving the ring thing! The more I listen the more I appreciate the benefits. I feel like the rings and the V2 upgrades offer a different set of virtues and work together to take the sound to a whole other level. I'm getting all this spatial information and extension on the top end from the V2 mods and this is being complemented by enhanced low frequency extension and clarity via the rings. I finally got a few hours to listen to some well known recordings the other day and was completely blown away. I want for nothing--thanks so much!

rawhit

« Reply #50 on: 12 Sep 2014, 01:31 pm »
I think he means the magnets that hold the speaker grills in place. My recommendation is to ditch the speaker grills. His ears will thank me.
Yup, I meant the magnets that hold the grill in place. I take off the grill while listening but otherwise leave it on. Protects the drivers from dust and I have a 1 year old who just learnt to walk and she seems less attracted towards the speakers with the grills on  :thumb:
Hi Scott, I had to use both the gaskets (one behind the driver and one in between the driver and trim ring) to avoid the trim ring bottoming out. The driver attachment with trim does seem more secure as I was able to use a lot more torque just as Lou mentioned.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2014, 02:36 pm by rawhit »

jonbee

« Reply #51 on: 5 Oct 2014, 06:07 pm »
I thought I'd give follow up on the ring installation, with a heads up.
After 6 weeks and probably 150 hours running time I went back to the speakers to re-tighten the woofer screws, and discovered that they all had "loosened" a bit. I suspect the new gaskets were gradually compressing.
I re-tightened them and the mid-bass focus seemed to improved a bit.
I guess I'll check them again in a few weeks.