CI DAC without digital filter?

viggen

« on: 12 Nov 2003, 07:18 am »
I heard a while ago that CI might be coming out with a DAC without digital filer and non-os.  Could it be true?  If so, when?  I like my Nixon a lot, but its butt ugly.

CIAudio

« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2003, 05:29 am »
We are currently building a few prototypes to evaluate but don't have anything planned for release in the near future.

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2003, 02:41 pm »
Hello, please excuse my ignorance, can youtell me what are the benefits from a DAC without digital filter ? and does that characteristic implies certain specifica capabilities on readers/trasnports ?

Thank you

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2003, 05:02 am »
All designs have trade-offs...
4x, 8x, upsampled, oversampled...it doesn't really matter.
What really matters is which design sounds the most like live music.
Filterless types have received alot af attention lately, so...
we're building a few prototypes to see how they sound.
The benefits are mainly in less digital processing of the signal, the downside is more digital noise. Measurements won't be as good as a $99 DVD player, but measurements don't tell you what something sounds like.
Typical Japanese midfi products measure very good, but don't really sound like music.

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2003, 04:08 pm »
Thank you very much, yes you are right the old debate between "beauty paper numbers" and real sound, at this pint most must be on the real sound side.

Thank you for you reply I have been following very interested your product offerings and also I have recommended to some friends and customers.

Thanks... and good luck.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2003, 09:40 pm »
I have Dusty's DAC because

1) It sounds like music
2) It allows me to successfully play poorly recorded/mastered CDs.
3) The price is righ

Anyone looking for "something else" should look first at power delivery/noise control measures, transport and getting an appropriate digital cable.  I'm sold on belt drive transports--Dan Wright has mine at this time for a very serious modding job.  Once that comes back and I play around with it I'll get the outboard power supply for my DAC. :mrgreen: