Bluetooth Question

RoadTripper

Bluetooth Question
« on: 1 Mar 2024, 04:04 pm »
I'm looking for a bluetooth receiver. I know there are plenty of them but I'm looking for one that doesn't house a DAC. I want to use bluetooth but not at the expense of bypassing my more than capable DAC already in place.

Other than that particular detail I'm also open to suggestions for ones that do have an embedded DAC.

Thanks

Doublej

Re: Bluetooth Question
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2024, 09:10 pm »
How about one with a internal DAC that can be bypassed and can send a digital stream to an external DAC?

If this will work for you, I suggest you check out the WiiM Mini, WiiM Pro, or WiiM Pro Plus. The Mini has an Optical Output where the Pro and Pro Plus have Optical and Coaxial Outputs.

js1955

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2024, 12:22 pm »
How about one with a internal DAC that can be bypassed and can send a digital stream to an external DAC?

Can do same with Bluesound Node.

RoadTripper

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2024, 05:31 am »
Thanks for the responses. I pulled the trigger on the Wiim Pro Plus. It took a bit of sweat getting it to work. However, I can't get it to work for my use case which is to Bluetooth sound from my laptop. The standard usecase is no at all what I need. The problem is that at least so far I can't get the unit to pair (bluetooth) with my laptop. The laptop can't see it - fails in the search.

Dunno what I'm going to do.

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2024, 01:15 pm »
Bummer. What is your use case? You might be able to use the WIFI connection on the WiiM instead.

How old is the laptop? What version of Bluetooth is on it? Make sure you have the latest Microsoft updates on the computer and the latest firmware updates from the laptop manufacturer.

Do you have anything else you can temporarily use as a Bluetooth receiver to confirm that Bluetooth on the laptop is functioning proprerly?

You can try pairing an phone or tablet with the WiiM to confirm that its Bluetooth is functioning.

RoadTripper

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2024, 03:08 pm »
Use case is to use my stereo with my laptop by means of the bluetooth connection in between my laptop and stereo (power amp and speakers). At the moment I'm assuming pilot error.

RoadTripper

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2024, 03:08 pm »
Also, my laptop is a Mac book Pro running the latest everything. Including the M3Pro chip.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2024, 07:33 pm »
Great, there should not be any issues with old versions of Bluetooth or drivers. Here's the instructions from the WiiM manual (but it may have changed...)

https://faq.wiimhome.com/support/solutions/articles/72000614371-wiim-pro-plus-user-manual

WIIM PRO USER MANUAL VERSION 1.8 8/19/23
34 | P a g e
12. STREAM AUDIO TO WIIM PRO WITH BLUETOOTH
Bluetooth wireless technology lets you stream music from mobile devices such as
smartphones, tablets, TV, and laptop computers. Before streaming music from a device,
you must pair your mobile device to the WiiM Pro. You can put the WiiM Pro into the pairing
mode by pressing and holding the volume '+' and '-‘ buttons together for 2 seconds.
Bluetooth supports A2DP and AVRCP profiles, and both SBC and AAC codecs are
supported.

Do you know you can use AirPlay for your Macbook to communicate with the WiiM?

If you are still having problems, WiiM has a great community forum to pursue answers from the community.

https://forum.wiimhome.com/