Solid State Class A Suggestions

JMW73

Solid State Class A Suggestions
« on: 16 Aug 2023, 02:29 pm »
I have a TV system set up in the basement that mostly the kids use, so I threw some old equipment and speakers (Adcom/Mission) at it and called it good enough.  I have a few older amps laying around (Adcom/NAD) that I don't use that I could sell.

SO!  I was thinking of selling all the old stuff and upgrading that system to be a low watt, lower level listening system.  This would be "system 2" as my main system is large and most definitely NOT low watt.  Looking for this to be a departure from that system.  Some Zu or Tekton speakers would round it out; most likely no subwoofer.

As far as the amp(s), I was thinking of building 2 mono Amp Class Amps.  But, by the time I did that I'd be at, or close to, Schiit Aegir money.  I'm not ruling it out, but I'd really like a balanced input (to get balanced you'd have to do monos which then is out of the price range I was thinking).  What else is in this price range that I should be looking at?  $1000 or preferably less.  I'm not opposed to used.

rif

• Not a cowboy
Re: Solid State Class A Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2023, 03:08 pm »
I have no experience with these, but the amp camp amps (ACA) is popular on diyaudio.com and diyaudiostore.com.

JMW73

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2023, 03:20 pm »
I have no experience with these, but the amp camp amps (ACA) is popular on diyaudio.com and diyaudiostore.com.

I've been wanting to build some for awhile, and this is actually what spurred me to consider this "project".  But then, I think about what else is available.  They will probably still be the best I can do for the money, though.

jpm

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2023, 03:55 pm »
There's the newly released Musical Fidelity A1, 25 watts of class A, circa $1,500 but no balanced inputs.

https://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/a1

JMW73

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2023, 04:48 pm »
There's the newly released Musical Fidelity A1, 25 watts of class A, circa $1,500 but no balanced inputs.

https://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/a1

Nice, thank you. The balanced input is a luxury, not a requirement. Just thought if I’m going this route I’d lower the noise floor as much as possible.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2023, 05:41 pm »
Nice, thank you. The balanced input is a luxury, not a requirement. Just thought if I’m going this route I’d lower the noise floor as much as possible.

I own a Pass Labs X250 amp and use balanced inputs.  I can hear no difference between the balanced and unbalanced connections.  Just use good RCA interconnects that are well shielded.

Personally, I would consider an AVA Vision 120 Control amplifier or Vision 120 power amp.

JMW73

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2023, 06:01 pm »
I own a Pass Labs X250 amp and use balanced inputs.  I can hear no difference between the balanced and unbalanced connections.  Just use good RCA interconnects that are well shielded.

Personally, I would consider an AVA Vision 120 Control amplifier or Vision 120 power amp.

Thank you for the input… I’ve had mixed results with balanced connections.

I DID look at the Vision 120 power amp. I’m intrigued.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2023, 06:19 pm »
I have ACAs. They are a really good amplifier for the money (and just good regardless). They are quite versatile especially if you have a pair. Bridged, paralleled, multi-amp.

Aegir is well regarded i have yet to hear one. Stodart uses some clever trickery to get this AB amplifer to perform much more like Class A (no GM drop).

If you are building do not forget the ACA mini. I prefer a single of this to a single ACA. I may be soon getting another and i will jerry-rig balanced in and see how they perform.

My main amp is a Firstwatt SIT-3. Unobtainium now, really, really good, but unless you diy a Firstwatt is out of your price range.

Monarchy audio makes a 25 w Class A amplifier that is very good, jst a bit over a grand. A single man operation so not a lot of overhead.

Sugden may satisfy. your need, likely need to find a used one (price) and it will be an integrated.

If you diy, your options explode. Check out the Pass forum at diyAudio.com.

Do pay attention to the amplifiers output impedance. Bridged ACAs have similar to an SE tube amp, Aegir near enuff to zero. If the loudspeaker has a poor/wild/non-flattish impedance curve the high output impedance amplifier will interact with that.

I do not have a high opinion of either of the loudspeakers your mentioned.

dave

JMW73

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2023, 06:27 pm »
I have ACAs. They are a really good amplifier for the money (and just good regardless). They are quite versatile especially if you have a pair. Bridged, paralleled, multi-amp.

Aegir is well regarded i have yet to hear one. Stodart uses some clever trickery to get this AB amplifer to perform much more like Class A (no GM drop).

If you are building do not forget the ACA mini. I prefer a single of this to a single ACA. I may be soon getting another and i will jerry-rig balanced in and see how they perform.

My main amp is a Firstwatt SIT-3. Unobtainium now, really, really good, but unless you diy a Firstwatt is out of your price range.

Monarchy audio makes a 25 w Class A amplifier that is very good, jst a bit over a grand. A single man operation so not a lot of overhead.

Sugden may satisfy. your need, likely need to find a used one (price) and it will be an integrated.

If you diy, your options explode. Check out the Pass forum at diyAudio.com.

Do pay attention to the amplifiers output impedance. Bridged ACAs have similar to an SE tube amp, Aegir near enuff to zero. If the loudspeaker has a poor/wild/non-flattish impedance curve the high output impedance amplifier will interact with that.

I do not have a high opinion of either of the loudspeakers your mentioned.

dave

Thank you for the suggestions; I’ll check them out.

Just for Schiits and giggles, what speakers would you recommend?  You seem to understand what I’m going for here, and I’d prefer to not have a sub in this particular system.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2023, 06:32 pm »
Worth mention the MOFO mono power amp,  around 20W very minimalist circuit,  DIY or our AC member Poseidon Voice could assemble one for you, I believe.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2023, 10:16 pm by FullRangeMan »

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2023, 08:09 pm »
I DID look at the Vision 120 power amp. I’m intrigued.

The Vision 120 may always stay in Class A with high efficiency speakers like the Zu or Tekton. Give Frank a call.

Frank wrote:
"[The AVA M225] are Class A-B designs running Class A up to about 20W"
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=158752.msg1856771#msg1856771

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2023, 08:17 pm »
what speakers would you recommend?

Almost all are diy. One can get a whole lot more bang-for-the-buck. I am currently listening to a big WAW, but i have way too many others, things get switched in and out fairly often.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2023, 08:18 pm »
...the MOFO mono power amp...

One of those diy amps in the Pass forum mentioned earlier.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/build-this-mofo.313649/

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2023, 06:07 am »
As far as the amp(s), I was thinking of building 2 mono Amp Class Amps.
We have a topic on the MOFO amp, it use very few parts count and can be assembled without a PCB using only the leads parts. It require a hi gain pre-amp, but if you dont have a pre-amp its possible add a input stage.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179626.0

walkern

« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2023, 12:59 pm »
I have tried a couple of low watt Pass amps and have currently settled on a Monarchy SM-70 for my class A solid state joy.  The nice thing about the SM-70s is that you can run them in stereo or mono, and they are quite affordable on the used market.  The down side is that Monarchy is out of biz (I think) so if something goes awry, finding repair support may be tricky?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2023, 01:40 am »
If you want new stuff then the Pass diy offerings are your best bet.  If you're into vintage (and all their caveats), then there's the Bedini 10/10 or 25/25, Pass Aleph 30, White Audio Labs made a 25 watt (or so) pair of brick-sized mono blocks, and there is the Forte line (though iirc 50 watts was the lowest offered).  Do let us know what you decide.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 2023, 02:21 am »
I really liked all of the Monarchy Audio amplifiers I have owned, but FWIW they have always been class A input/driver stages and high bias class A/AB output. Not pure class A. Does that matter? Only if stuck on a topology. How does it sound is probably more important.

mitch stl

« Reply #17 on: 18 Aug 2023, 02:26 am »
I have a Schiit Aegir in my main system and it is my favorite amp of all time. It replaced a VTV Hypex, and before that a Bel Canto. I've also had tube amps (LSA VT70 recently and a rather rare Image 65i along with several classic Dynacos I rebuilt.)

I use the Aegir with a Lyr 3 preamp which has their multibit DAC card. This powers a pair of Ohm 1000s which use an active crossover to cut them off at 70 Hz. This is combined with a GE Supersub X for the bass. I have no problem with volume (my highest average listening volume is around 80 to 85 dB) since the sub saves the Ohms from having to do power hungry low bass.

The Aegir is one of the most organic, natural sounding amps I've heard, and, I think due to its class A operation, extends that clarity all the way down into the low volume and soft portions of the music.

That's my two cents.

Mike B.

« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug 2023, 03:30 am »
My recommendation would be to stay away from the MOFO. It is very basic and has no thermal or overload protection for starts. It requires a preamp with tons of gain. I remember members who built it recommending another DIY pre with 40 db of gain. I built a couple not very long after the design was first published.
If you go diy look at one of Nelson's more advanced projects. A used commercially built amp would be another good option.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 18 Aug 2023, 03:32 am »
This Aegir 20W Class A looks perfect to a Full Range driver or a hi sensitivity 2-way speaker.