Idea for new line in Daedalus speakers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Idea for new line in Daedalus speakers
« Reply #40 on: 7 Oct 2019, 06:08 pm »
I know this will drive up the cost but you may want to think about doing integrated/matching hardwood stands for these which will be beautiful and distinguish them from other monitors currently available. You could do something with inlay that would match the speaker and make for a really pretty combination.
Some dollars more and we will get a floorstander which bigger enclosure increase the bass.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #41 on: 8 Oct 2019, 12:12 am »
...and you've now described the evolution of the DA-RMa to the Athena, and the Pan to the Muse - hardwood stands and all!

I'm sorry if I started this line of confusion in this conversation, as based on Lou's suggested lower frequency extension target I was just assuming he was talking about a bookshelf monitor-sized speaker.  He simply said, "smaller," which now thinking on and taking in to account the target price point as well, a "small" floor standing speaker make a lot more sense.  I don't think that changes the assessment of the saturation of the market (now just looking at the variety of 6" cone-and-dome 2-way floor standers), but the dollars for a high-end product make more sense (and I think the earlier discussion concentrating on the notion of a high efficiency flavor of this kind of speaker being a strong market differentiator still holds true too).

Lou, please do correct me if I'm wrong (or basically set the record straight either way).

Jon

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #42 on: 8 Oct 2019, 12:45 am »
...and you've now described the evolution of the DA-RMa to the Athena, and the Pan to the Muse - hardwood stands and all!

I'm sorry if I started this line of confusion in this conversation, as based on Lou's suggested lower frequency extension target I was just assuming he was talking about a bookshelf monitor-sized speaker.  He simply said, "smaller," which now thinking on and taking in to account the target price point as well, a "small" floor standing speaker make a lot more sense.  I don't think that changes the assessment of the saturation of the market (now just looking at the variety of 6" cone-and-dome 2-way floor standers), but the dollars for a high-end product make more sense (and I think the earlier discussion concentrating on the notion of a high efficiency flavor of this kind of speaker being a strong market differentiator still holds true too).

Lou, please do correct me if I'm wrong (or basically set the record straight either way).

Jon

I was thinking the same thing.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #43 on: 8 Oct 2019, 01:59 am »
I can't imagine how good you could make a small monitor speaker. I woumd personally love to see this design and possibly own a pair eventually

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #44 on: 8 Oct 2019, 08:14 pm »
Did we scare Lou?

He may be tied up with an Audio Fest or something.

cementhead

« Reply #45 on: 9 Oct 2019, 12:24 pm »
A monitor with optional,matching stands! Sign me up. Man, we come up with some great ideas... :D

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #46 on: 9 Oct 2019, 03:55 pm »
I'm still here! Just taking in the comments, which btw I REALLY appreciate everyone taking the time to help!

To clarify a couple of things: I am not proposing a "bookshelf" system but am looking at two systems, one a stand mount monitor (9"w X 20" tall?) and the other a small floor stander.

Definitely NOT an entry level but a high performing small speaker. I don't do entry level, each of the models I build are for different tastes and applications but the quality level is consistent. The idea is a smaller high end system for people who want the speed and openness of an efficient speaker in a small size without a ton of sonic compromises made to get an illusory bass from a tiny box.  Several of you have echoed my sentiment that it is best to use a subwoofer for room filling bass extension than compromise the main system. Spot on! :thumb:
While $5K is still a lot of money, that is what it costs to build this quality level. People who know me realize that I am not getting rich, I charge what it takes to keep the business going, there really isn't a margin. That maybe one reason my customers are so loyal, they know that when they get a $15k-$20k speaker from this old school craftsman they are getting something they would have to pay much more for if from a typical corporation. Bottom line I am trying to make a smaller speaker that because of size and fewer components will be more affordable for those who want extremely high quality.
I am trying to do as much market research as I can because the startup is expensive and takes an enormous amount of time and energy. Unlike others who use off the shelf speakers the heart of my systems are drivers that I have developed and have made for me. That means I have to commit to a large quantity BEFORE I can even build prototypes.
Thanks for all your support and feedback :thumb:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 9 Oct 2019, 04:35 pm »
So we were right: you were proposing a bookshelf!

8)

(I consider a monitor as a large bookshelf to simplify things)

Brettio

« Reply #48 on: 9 Oct 2019, 05:44 pm »
My listening room is known as our living room to my wife so a smaller Daedalus floor standing speaker has so much appeal.  Glad to hear that may be an option in the future!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #49 on: 9 Oct 2019, 08:34 pm »
  A two way stand mount. Not everyone has a dedicated room. Living rooms are multi purpose for most listeners. I like two ways because of simple crossover and great scale and staging. Two ways also allows for top tier parts in crossover. A ribbon tweeter or AMT for me. An optional sub as well.

charles

Early B.

« Reply #50 on: 9 Oct 2019, 08:56 pm »
A ribbon tweeter or AMT for me. An optional sub as well.

Yep. Pop an AMT in there and those stand mount monitors will quickly become your best seller.

Brettio

« Reply #51 on: 10 Oct 2019, 12:47 am »
This is none of my business, but is there any concern with creating a new $5k speaker (or two 😀) that is met with so many orders that you either have to bring on more staff or spend so much time building $5k speakers that it eats up time building/tweaking/creating higher dollar models?   Not that bringing on more staff is necessarily a bad thing but with the level of craftsmanship in your speakers it means time spent training, quality control, etc., etc.

Brett

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 10 Oct 2019, 05:24 am »
Don't create a shortage before the damn things are even built.

(Lou's got dollar signs in his eyes now)

:lol:

Brettio

« Reply #53 on: 10 Oct 2019, 11:52 am »
Don't create a shortage before the damn things are even built.

(Lou's got dollar signs in his eyes now)

:lol:

I understand the risk I was taking in asking the question, but I would suggest that these speakers be a limited production product offered first to those of us here that are dreaming of a set of smaller Daedalus speakers in our listening room!   :thumb:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 10 Oct 2019, 04:28 pm »
I doubt that will be the case, my speakers appeal to a select part of the market which is actually pretty small.  For these two-way systems at a $5k price point most people will be looking for a wow factor in the bass, not finesse and grace in the mid bass and highs.
Even if we do need to scale up, this is not a cottage deal, the shop is pretty large and professional with plenty of tooling, plus I have decades of experience training people to be skilled craftsmen.  The worry would be that the already long lead time could stretch out, but that is sometimes the cost of getting something really special,eh? :)

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 10 Oct 2019, 04:31 pm »
I am considering going ahead with this and possibly offering a discounted pre-order .... sort of crowd funding the R&D

Anybody interested??

of course I will get further with the design etc before offering this... :popcorn:

Brettio

« Reply #56 on: 10 Oct 2019, 05:16 pm »
Yes, I would be interested and look forward to this evolving.  Please keep us abreast of the progress.
Brett

Folsom

« Reply #57 on: 10 Oct 2019, 06:48 pm »
How about concept drawings?

cementhead

« Reply #58 on: 10 Oct 2019, 08:07 pm »
Yes sir, Interested!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #59 on: 10 Oct 2019, 09:42 pm »
Maybe both speakers could be produced a pocket and a floorstander, just a idea.