***Sub Cabinet Design***

Peter J

• Hmmmm
***Sub Cabinet Design***
« on: 16 Aug 2010, 03:34 am »
I've got an idea for a servo sub cabinet that would have sides, top and bottom overhanging mounting driver mounting baffle by 1/2" to maybe as much as 1 1/4".

I know (or think I know) defraction on cabinet edge is a consideration with higher frenquencies, but does this hold true for the frequencies the sub would be producing?
« Last Edit: 8 Nov 2012, 11:59 pm by Peter J »

Danny Richie

Re: Sub Cabinet Design
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2010, 03:54 am »
The sub will never play up high enough for that to be an issue.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2010, 04:18 am »
Danny, since I've got your ear, a couple more questions.

The drawing on your site doesn't show the amp cutout in rear. Since I'm designing from scratch, what's the best way to do this?

1. cut hole and just let electronics hang into open cabinet
 2. Box in area around amp and isolate area from cabinet
 3. Separate remote amp enclosure

Also, assuming options 1 or 2, should I be adjusting box volume to compensate for space amp takes up?

Any other considerations before I start committing ideas to paper? Baltic birch? Coat the interior with molasses? Bring in a witch doctor?       

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2010, 04:39 am »
That's the cool thing about a kit. You can do either of those things.

Do a version of the sand box if you can. If not, then use MDF for the outside walls and lots of braces. Then line with No Rez. The Birch makes great braces too.

Or do a sandwich material of each.

No witch doctor needed.  :wink:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2010, 11:16 pm »
Here's a concept of what I have in mind, thought I'd toss it out for comment. All is variable at this point, so no suggestion is out of bounds.

I'm toying with the idea of building the sides in a stacked lamination of Baltic Birch, I kinda like the look of all those layers. It can be dyed most any color and toned with tinted lacquer. 

Top and bottom will probably be veneered, with edges done in vertical grain, but nothing sure at this point.

Rather than have the grill cover the whole inset front, I drew this with a round grill that just covers the driver...shows more of the cabinet face which will match sides...or not...could be something altogether different.

That being said, I'm fishing for ideas and comments, so fire away if you've got something on your mind. Anything can be changed at this stage of the game...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2010, 11:29 pm »
Peter- Since you asked for ideas, etc.. I have found-and many others have also- that raising the sub up off the floor even as little as 8 inches in my case really improves the sound. The boomyness in my case was eliminated just by raising my basic POLK 10" sub up onto some boxes temporarily. I believe there is a formula something to the effect of raising the sub 22% of the ceiling height. Mine is only 8ish inches but it makes a world of difference. Maybe just build the cabinet a bit taller if you can...FWIW :thumb: :thumb:
 Ed L.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2010, 12:02 am »
Peter- Since you asked for ideas, etc.. I have found-and many others have also- that raising the sub up off the floor even as little as 8 inches in my case really improves the sound. The boomyness in my case was eliminated just by raising my basic POLK 10" sub up onto some boxes temporarily. I believe there is a formula something to the effect of raising the sub 22% of the ceiling height. Mine is only 8ish inches but it makes a world of difference. Maybe just build the cabinet a bit taller if you can...FWIW :thumb: :thumb:
 Ed L.

Thanks Ed, there's somthing I've never encountered before. I've raised stereo speakers, but never thought to do it with a sub.  How would you describe the change it made?
 I should mention that this is 95% TV/movie system, not really a critical listening environment.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2010, 12:19 am »
The bass just got more integrated and tighter, it honestly was like getting a new sub. I use my system for Music and Movies and that little tweak-mine still resides on some boxes-was a very substantial improvement. I moved the sub more out into the room first, its under my center channel speaker and that helped, but raising it up was really a very nice change for the better. It may not fit the decor and WAF but if you currently have a sub give it a try...my boxes are filled with books, something solid is preferred I understand...

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2010, 01:39 am »
Here's a concept of what I have in mind, thought I'd toss it out for comment. All is variable at this point, so no suggestion is out of bounds.

Hi Peter,

Very cool! 8)

Here's where I ended up with these.

« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2010, 07:52 pm by Outofthewoods »

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2010, 01:49 am »
Those are sweet!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2010, 01:54 am »
Those are sweet!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

I'll say.  Almost tempted to buy something like that and get top notch components to fill it

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2010, 02:00 am »
Wow!!

Wish they were headed to Boston instead. 

Nice job.

George

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2010, 02:09 am »
Wow from me too! I am amazed at your work.

TomW16

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2010, 02:12 am »
That looks absolutely amazing.  Very professional looking.  :thumb:

chip

« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2010, 02:24 am »
So what is the price on one of those bad boy subs?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #15 on: 24 Aug 2010, 05:13 am »
Fallen, your work is inspiring...really beautiful. If you don't mind me asking, are you finishing with automotive-type urethanes?
Hi Peter,

Very cool! 8)

Here's where I ended up with these.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 25 Aug 2010, 03:19 am »
Thanks for all of the compliments everyone. :)

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 25 Aug 2010, 03:25 am »
So what is the price on one of those bad boy subs?

Hi Chip,

Fully built as shown with the A370 Servo amp, $1300 each.

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2010, 03:25 am »
Fallen, your work is inspiring...really beautiful. If you don't mind me asking, are you finishing with automotive-type urethanes?

Thanks Peter.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. :oops:

Yes, these were finished in a 2 stage urethane.

Ruben

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #19 on: 25 Aug 2010, 08:18 pm »
Danny, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the parts, but wanted to run a few questions by you, if I may.

This is primarily a TV / video system consisting mostly of older gear accumulated when I was completely consumed by the audio-video bug...thankfully I don't obsess quite like I used to and don't have the budget for it anyway.

It consists of  Gershman Acoustics RX-20 for mains, Gershman CC-X center, and Gershman Cameleons as rears and an old Velodyne F-10 servo sub. Processor is a Theta Casa Nova. The Theta has many ways to control the LFE, so my thought was I don't need the versatility and control of of the 370PEQ... that the 300 would suffice...am I off base here? That's question #1

Question #2 is about whether servo is overkill for intended use. I could spend the dough on the non-servo and maybe build two for similar money. Now there's these buyout MFW 15s in the mix, so I could hold off till you can 'speriment some and come up with a good design for them. Your thoughts?

You'll get my dollars either way, but I want to get best bang for buck. My joy is the building of the enclosures, much more fun for me that the system engineering.