9 Watts into RM-40s

Zoe

9 Watts into RM-40s
« on: 13 Jan 2004, 02:57 am »
I am currently running my Nohr SE-9 into my VMPS RM-40s.  I am metering from my listening distance of 12 feet peak levels at about 86 dB. I am not sure I know what clipping sounds like.  But at those peaks, I am not really hearing anything strange.  What I am listening to is Mozart "Marriage of Figaro" (Colin Davis and the Bavarian Radio Symph) and it is just spectacular.  It sounds like I just got a seat on stage (well almost).

I will be switching over to some other types of material later to see more easily just how much bass I have lost with this pea-shooter amp.  I normally use my Jolida 502b.  I was led to believe that what I am doing (feeding the RM-40s with 9 watts) just wouldn't work very well.

Zoe

Clipping
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2004, 05:00 am »
The Nohr SE-9 driving the RM-40s made it all the way through Gonzalo Rubalcaba's "diz" CD (on BlueNote) without any clipping.  I can say this with confidence because the next CD I put on, George Lloyd Symph No. 1 on the Albany label, gave me an indisputable example of what clipping sounds like.  It was on a heavy bass drum passage in the middle of track 6 when I heard clearly the failure of the little amp to drive the speakers.

I turned it down and reran the track.  There was no clipping.  So, can anyone tell me if letting it clip now and then will damage my speakers?  Because, the rig sounds pretty good, for now.

ekovalsky

Re: Clipping
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2004, 05:59 am »
:nono:

Clipping distortion can definitely fry a driver or crossover capacitor.  It is much easier to damage a speaker by overdriving with too small an amp than by using a too powerful amp...

Quote from: Zoe
The Nohr SE-9 driving the RM-40s made it all the way through Gonzalo Rubalcaba's "diz" CD (on BlueNote) without any clipping.  I can say this with confidence because the next CD I put on, George Lloyd Symph No. 1 on the Albany label, gave me an indisputable example of what clipping sounds like.  It was on a heavy bass drum passage in the middle of track 6 when I heard clearly the failure of the little amp to drive the speakers.

I turned it down and reran the track.  There was no clipping.  So, can anyon ...