N2x DIY speaker stands

skeeter99

Re: N2x DIY speaker stands
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2011, 07:53 pm »
Danny offers a nice, reasonably priced set of spikes that I used on my servo sub, but they are a little taller & website currently shows them out of stock: 

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=105

Steve,  Those are some seriously beefy stands you got there.  Do you need a hand truck to move them?   :lol:

I've got TONS of those, they come with every AV123 speaker with provisions for spikes. I've had LOTS of those through my house so I have LOTS of them! LOL!

brother love

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2011, 07:59 pm »
I've got TONS of those, they come with every AV123 speaker with provisions for spikes. I've had LOTS of those through my house so I have LOTS of them! LOL!

Really, the brass stouter versions like Danny sells?  My ELT525 towers have 3/8" dia. spikes like the Parts Express ones. Man, I should have checked w/ you first!  :lol:

skeeter99

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2011, 08:00 pm »
Really, the brass stouter versions like Danny sells?  My ELT525 towers have 3/8" dia. spikes like the Parts Express ones. Man, I should have checked w/ you first!  :lol:

As far as I know they're exactly the same. They look identical. I've probably got 6-8 sets at least. Most I keep in the boxes but some I've got out.

srb

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jan 2011, 08:31 pm »
Steve,  Those are some seriously beefy stands you got there.  Do you need a hand truck to move them?   :lol:

The majority of the weight comes from the columns.  I chose the white ash primarily because of availability at the hardwood store and in the size I needed, but it turned those particular boards were a lot lighter in weight than comparible size oak or maple.  Ash is the most often used wood in baseball bats because of it's hardness, durability and strength, though.

I hadn't thought of the concealed speaker wire channel, but there's always the possibility of a Phase II upgrade!

I also used the Parts Express Dayton spikes in Black Chrome.

Steve

skeeter99

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jan 2011, 09:16 pm »

I like the black grommet at the top, I was thinking of a way to paint the rod and nut so that it didn't stick out visually so much but I like your idea much better.

srb

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jan 2011, 09:30 pm »
I like the black grommet at the top, I was thinking of a way to paint the rod and nut so that it didn't stick out visually so much but I like your idea much better.

Of course you can't see it when a speaker is in place!  But I like finding little inexpensive finishing touches at my super-sized Ace Hardware (~ $0.50 ea.), however I didn't get any for the bottom of the base!

Steve

skeeter99

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jan 2011, 09:43 pm »

Of course you can't see it when a speaker is in place!  But I like finding little inexpensive finishing touches at my super-sized Ace Hardware (~ $0.50 ea.), however I didn't get any for the bottom of the base!

Steve

Ahh, I love it! I'm a bit ashamed that you didn't do it on the bottom, truly tragic  :lol: Thanks for the pic and tip!

brother love

« Reply #27 on: 17 Jan 2011, 10:45 pm »

Steve

If you had capped it on the bottom, that is a level of detail that I would say is officially "anal" !  :lol:

Did you weigh your stands w/ the sand filled 4" PVC ?   With the 3" PVC & red oak pedestal/ base, the 27" h stands were 7.5# ea. w/o sand & 16.5 # ea. w/ sand ...

skeeter99

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jan 2011, 03:43 pm »
Went out last night and picked up all the remaining parts to get these built. I ended up going 3" PVC for the legs. I originally picked up 4" but thought it just looked TOO big and with only an 8" square top plate that would only leave 2" on each of the sides, thought it would look funny.

So far, this is what I'm into them:

Wood: $12.75
Grommets, allthread, washers, nuts, PVC, rubber feet, etc: $22.00
Total: $32.75

Looking pretty good price-wise so far! Now I just need to go and get the wood planed down to size and get it all cut up and sealed. Woo hoo!

skeeter99

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jan 2011, 05:50 am »
Bases and tops cut, insets drilled, pvc cut to length primed and pained and the first coat of Teak Sea Fin Oil on. Its still drying so that's what the line is on the one top. Bases are 12x12x1 and tops are 8x8x1. Looking good so far, just 4-5 more coats to go  :thumb:

brother love

« Reply #30 on: 25 Jan 2011, 10:53 am »
Beautiful wood!  Nice grain.  Looking really nice.   :thumb:

Ron

« Reply #31 on: 25 Jan 2011, 11:33 am »
 The tops and botoms for your stands do look really nice. What type of wood are you using and what is the thickness?

skeeter99

« Reply #32 on: 25 Jan 2011, 02:59 pm »
Beautiful wood!  Nice grain.  Looking really nice.   :thumb:

Thanks! When we picked it out we had no idea there'd be so much red in it but I really like it. The grain really pops when you lay down the finish. I'll try to get a comparison shot tonight of some of the leftover unfinished I have.

skeeter99

« Reply #33 on: 25 Jan 2011, 03:00 pm »
The tops and botoms for your stands do look really nice. What type of wood are you using and what is the thickness?

Thank you :) It's called Cumaru (Brazillian Teak) and it is HARD! It actually didn't machine as well as we had thought so its taken some extra finishing work. Its 1" thick, and heavy!

skeeter99

« Reply #34 on: 28 Jan 2011, 05:16 am »
All done! Well, mostly, sans spikes and I have had the hardest time finding the right rubber bumpers for the tops of the stands ... Fred Meyer and Lowes both had the same crappy hard ones. Need to find those good softer square ones ...

The weighed 12.2 lbs before sand and 22.2 lbs after. Exactly 10lbs of sand :) They're heavy but I think I may do 4" the next go round to get more weight. They're definitely stable though and look great in person!!

brother love

« Reply #35 on: 28 Jan 2011, 02:16 pm »
Those stands are very attractive, skeeter99 !  For more professional looking than my stands.  :lol:

You did the same thing I did & photographed your stands before spikes were installed.  If you haven't pre-drilled spike inserts, be careful when drilling the holes.  The weight of the stands coupled w/ drilling on the outer edges can be tricky in preventing the column/ base seal from breaking.

BTW, what did you use to seal column to base?  It looks very uniform.

Re: the pads between the pedestal & speakers.  That's a tough one without dropping a fair amount of coin (like Bright Star Audio Isonode feet or Vibrapod Isolators).

How about water hose rubber washers?   :lol:   Seriously though, Ace Hardware may have something spongier if you are willing to peruse the shelves ad nauseum.

skeeter99

« Reply #36 on: 28 Jan 2011, 03:06 pm »
Those stands are very attractive, skeeter99 !  For more professional looking than my stands.  :lol:

You did the same thing I did & photographed your stands before spikes were installed.  If you haven't pre-drilled spike inserts, be careful when drilling the holes.  The weight of the stands coupled w/ drilling on the outer edges can be tricky in preventing the column/ base seal from breaking.

BTW, what did you use to seal column to base?  It looks very uniform.

Re: the pads between the pedestal & speakers.  That's a tough one without dropping a fair amount of coin (like Bright Star Audio Isonode feet or Vibrapod Isolators).

How about water hose rubber washers?   :lol:   Seriously though, Ace Hardware may have something spongier if you are willing to peruse the shelves ad nauseum.

Thanks! They turned our very good I think except for the tiny bit of white you see at the bottom of the base. Its the clay-type weatherstripping I used; it seals great as it compresses with the weight and its super easy to use, but the only color they had was gray (no black) so when it compressed a bit compressed out. I cleaned it as best as I could with very small pick tools but couldn't get it 100%. Nice thing is I can always just take off the base and apply something else if I choose. I'm giving these ones to my father in law (who just came into town last night) so he can change out the seal if he wants to! I used my chop saw and leveled the pipe at the end before cutting so they made pretty perfect 90 degree cuts without any scoring. Its nice having a good blade :D

I haven't pre-drilled the spikes but have some good ideas of how to do it without putting pressure on an edge and breaking the seal ...

I'm going to drop by McLendon Hardware (http://www.mclendons.com/) on my way home from work if I have time and see if they have good rubber feet. I'm hosting a GTG at my house this weekend (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87309.0) and have to get home to finish setup.

wangch32

« Reply #37 on: 29 Jan 2011, 09:33 pm »
gosh those look great

skeeter99

« Reply #38 on: 30 Jan 2011, 07:09 am »
gosh those look great

Thanks! They are all fully cured now and the finish is very hard. They're looking even better now. I gave them to my father in law and he thinks they're going to work perfect in his living room. Next up, Bolivian Rosewood in a glossy finish :D

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #39 on: 30 Jan 2011, 07:31 am »
Beautiful work Scott. :drool:

Those Rosewood stands will be killer!

Ruben