NX-Otica build thread.

Early B.

Re: NX-Otica build thread.
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jun 2016, 02:16 am »
Whoa!!  Open baffle monitors with wings, ribbons and copper! Been waiting for these for several years, but bought Hawthorne Audio's version because they were first out of the gate. These are gonna sound phenomenal, for sure.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 2 Jun 2016, 02:25 am »
Anxiously awaiting your take on the Wedgie vs the NX-Ottica MTM section.

Best,
Ed

Ed,

Will do

they turned out   nice Mike :beer;
If there is interest,  I'll  continue on with getting an actual run going

If I were to do more, would you want a bit more material below that lower NQ ? 

jay

Jay,

With a bottom there is plenty, especially if the bottom is thicker like 1" or 1-1/2". Which might not be a bad idea as these are front heavy. Although they may be more stable after a network board is installed. Need to save up some money for that before I can find out though.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jun 2016, 03:00 am »
Keep the inductors near the rear  :)

jay

studley

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jun 2016, 09:09 am »
They turned out nice Mike :beer;
If there is interest,  I'll  maybe continue on with getting an actual run going.  This of course also depends on the availablility fo the NEO 3

jay

Presumably with the new waveguide Danny is developing it will no longer be necessary to mill out the waveguide - ?

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jun 2016, 03:16 pm »
Presumably with the new waveguide Danny is developing it will no longer be necessary to mill out the waveguide - ?

And it can be used in new versions of old models.

Captainhemo

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jun 2016, 03:37 pm »

I suppose Danny's new  waveguide inset  could replace our milled  one, yeah.  But, our flat packs had a lot of  work go into them, they fit together very nicely so pretty much anyone could  build them out.  We've  cut  angled rabbets for the wings  (they glue in and meet the vertical radius on the front baffle at 10 degrees), all your driver hoels  are ronded over,  the full  cabinets have dado's  for all craces,  all screw holes are pre-drilled  etc etc.

Our flat packs  should still be a very  attractive  option

jay

studley

« Reply #26 on: 2 Jun 2016, 03:44 pm »
I suppose danny's new  waveguide inset  could replace our milled  one, yeah.  But, our flat packs had a lot of  work go into them, they fit together very nicely so pretty much anyone could  build them out.  We've  cut  angled rabbets for the wings  (they glue in and meet the vertical radius on the front baffle at 10 degrees), all your driver hoels  are ronded over,  the full  cabinets have dado's  for all craces,  all screw holes are pre-drilled  etc etc.

jay

I'm sure that's true for customers in the US, but I'm in the UK and the cost of shipping a flat pack would be prohibitive.  The shipping cost of the drivers will be bad enough.  Plus about 24% for import taxes  :cry:

Captainhemo

« Reply #27 on: 2 Jun 2016, 03:52 pm »
I'm sure that's true for customers in the US, but I'm in the UK and the cost of shipping a flat pack would be prohibitive.  The shipping cost of the drivers will be bad enough.  Plus about 24% for import taxes  :cry:

I hear you on import / shipping issues, we know all about  them too  :(

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 2 Jun 2016, 04:11 pm »
I suppose danny's new  waveguide inset  could replace our milled  one, yeah.  But, our flat packs had a lot of  work go into them, they fit together very nicely so pretty much anyone could  build them out.  We've  cut  angled rabbets for the wings  (they glue in and meet the vertical radius on the front baffle at 10 degrees), all your driver hoels  are ronded over,  the full  cabinets have dado's  for all craces,  all screw holes are pre-drilled  etc etc.

jay

If I get this plastic wave guide to work, then there is tooling involved and overseas production.....  It will be a while.

jparkhur

« Reply #29 on: 2 Jun 2016, 05:46 pm »
3d printer, in your new garage.... HS use them all the time to make stuff....

HAL

• Industry Contributor

jparkhur

« Reply #31 on: 2 Jun 2016, 06:35 pm »
Dremel now makes one:

https://3dprinter.dremel.com/?campaign_source=dremel&campaign_medium=website&campaign_id=3dideabuilder

You could do it this way too, but if he sent them to a print company he could keep his costs low and mix with other materials too.   Depends on quantity....Still all US based

jparkhur

« Reply #32 on: 2 Jun 2016, 06:37 pm »
Im currently looking at two laser etchers and two low cost 3D printers.  If you send out or buy a NICE one you can use a better abs/plastic material.  The coils of these are "claw game" plastic... JP

jparkhur

« Reply #33 on: 2 Jun 2016, 06:38 pm »
Or injection mold it.. Don't have one of these, but watched them work...  fast and cool... not sure of cost differences between injection or 3d..

Captainhemo

« Reply #34 on: 2 Jun 2016, 07:25 pm »
Or injection mold it.. Don't have one of these, but watched them work...  fast and cool... not sure of cost differences between injection or 3d..

Years ago when I worked for an irrigation compnay , during the winter months I ran an injection moulding machine making  sprinkler  parts for the following season.  They are cool and  they spit out a lot of  units but molds can be expensive

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 2 Jun 2016, 07:51 pm »
Years ago when I worked for an irrigation compnay , during the winter months I ran an injection moulding machine making  sprinkler  parts for the following season.  They are cool and  they spit out a lot of  units but molds can be expensive

jay

Yes, when you make a LOT of something it is the way to go. But molds can be very expensive.

jcotner

« Reply #36 on: 3 Jun 2016, 06:39 am »
Yes, when you make a LOT of something it is the way to go. But molds can be very expensive.

However if the supply of NEOs dry up for PE, as some suspect, then maybe you could supply your
new driver and waveguide to PE as a replacement.....  :dance:
Heck maybe you could even market them as an aftermarket driver for theatre speakers.
Naw that would be like telling the neighbor kid to make a mud pie out of a fire ant mound.

SteveKi

« Reply #37 on: 12 Jun 2016, 01:02 pm »
However if the supply of NEOs dry up for PE, as some suspect,

Parts express has 4 Neo3's listed. Which one is a match for the Neo3 used in GR Research kits?
Steve

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 12 Jun 2016, 01:53 pm »
Probably the Neo3-PDR without the cup for the NX-Otica's since it is open baffle.

Captainhemo

« Reply #39 on: 12 Jun 2016, 04:15 pm »
AFAIK, all Danny's N-series kits use the PDR but, "his" NEO3 PDR's came with the deep back cup, I don't know if there is a source for these ?
Rich is correct, the  PDR  without faceplate or  rear cup will work in the NX-Ottica but  one of the  custom Serenity pairs will be required for the  NX-Tremes

jay