Oppo BDP-103 or Emotiva UMC-200 ?

abongiov

Oppo BDP-103 or Emotiva UMC-200 ?
« on: 8 Jan 2013, 01:26 am »
Hi, I have a 2ch system that brings me joy when listening to music and I am thinking of adding HT to it.
My only source of movies and shows is a roku. My integrated amplifier has HT bypass so it will drive the front speakers (Salk Songtowers). My wife hates cables and there is no way to mask them up to the rear so I thought about the JBL-WEM-1 for the surround. Thus basically I need either a receiver that wil treat signal and only drive a center channel if I buy one later on, and I was thinking Emotiva UMC-200 or Outlaw 975.
But another option would be the Oppo BDP-103. I was not looking for a BDP but it has 2 HDMI in (I might add a Wii U) and can be use as a pre, also network able and read almost every format.

Anyone care to give some advice on my idea ?
Again perfectly happy with my music system (Creek Evo2 CDP and integrated Amp driving Salk Songtower) but would like to expand into reasonable HT. I have an old pair of BW DM102 that I plan to use for the surround. And maybe later on add a center channel, of course if I go with the Oppo then I'll also need a monoblock just for the center.

Phil A

Re: Oppo BDP-103 or Emotiva UMC-200 ?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2013, 02:29 am »
Have no idea how this works in practice but this can be used for surround - http://www.polkaudio.com/products/fxwireless   Just another consideration for wire haters.  If it was me (and I realize it's not), I'd probably opt for a HT receiver at accessories4less.com with extended warranty.  You can get something reasonable and keep the 2 channel you have.  Lots of possibilities

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2013, 03:12 am »
I have a 103.  While you can use it as an HT controller, it's not as easy to use as a HT processor with a big volume knob and bright display.  The 103's switching and volume are on the remote only and the front display is small and difficult to read across the room.  Using an HDMI monitor for OSD control might make it easier, but I haven't tried this.  I use it for audio only, no video.

I like the 103 as a universal disc player and for playing back multi-channel files from my PC via HDMI.  The stock player sounds pretty good.  With some power supply mods it sounds really, really good.

Russ

Ric Schultz

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2013, 06:50 am »
What power supply mods did you do to your 103?  Battery power like you show on your old 980?