The Hum has been tracked down!!! Thanks guys

firestic

« on: 16 Sep 2004, 02:34 pm »
Last night the bugger returned and since all of you gave me possible fixes I was able to start troubleshooting. I won't get into all the details here but the bottom line was 'a lamp' & 'a cell phone charger'.

After uncableing, powering down, etc. nothing seemed to eliminate it. Then I started to unplug everything in the adjacent rooms. Bingo!

The lamp was about 90% of the problem. After I turned it off there was still a small lingering hum when I discovered my wifes phone charging. Bingo again! HUM GONE.

Now what can I do to eliminate this issue? The PS Audio product? something must be done because the hum IS messing with the quality of this amp. I can hear it, as subtle as it may be.

The irony I guess is that this issue arose during this break-in and as the amp was trying to bloom the interferences were clouding the situation.

Thanks again.

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2004, 03:13 pm »
Were you getting the hum with the light on, off or both?

firestic

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2004, 03:24 pm »
When the light was on. One of those 6' tall quartz lamps you see everywhere for 20 bucks. When I turned it off the hum was gone, same with the phone charger, when I unplugged it from the wall (in another room no less) the hum was completely gone.

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2004, 06:49 pm »
Now what can I do to eliminate this issue?

simple - don't use those lamps, don't charge phones when listening :)

If that's not possible, you can also have a dedicated circuit installed for your audio, have your building grounding checked etc - assuming you own the house and such things can be done.  

Commercial power conditioning - the good stuff that really works is rather expensive...

Peter

firestic

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2004, 08:12 pm »
Yes, the "real" power conditioners are way out of my range. The lamp etc. will be out of the line of fire when it comes to critical listening. I'm pleased as punch to know there is nothing out of sorts w/ the Stratos as that was my initial concern anyway.