MC Cartridge Repair?

Zuman

MC Cartridge Repair?
« on: 8 Sep 2023, 03:11 am »
I have a Rega Ania mc cart with a twisted cantilever. I've never used a repair/retipping service, and I know that many of the most highly-regarded folks can take several weeks to even come up with a quote, let alone do the repair.
Do any of you have a recommendation for a cartridge repair service (I did email photos to Andy Kim at Needle Clinic and he quoted me $550 for a repair with a boron cantilever and a micro ridge diamond)?
Thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: MC Cartridge Repair?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2023, 03:54 am »
I have a Rega Ania mc cart with a twisted cantilever. I've never used a repair/retipping service, and I know that many of the most highly-regarded folks can take several weeks to even come up with a quote, let alone do the repair.
Do any of you have a recommendation for a cartridge repair service (I did email photos to Andy Kim at Needle Clinic and he quoted me $550 for a repair with a boron cantilever and a micro ridge diamond)?
Thanks.

That's about double what VAS charged me about 4 years ago.  Maybe they've gone up too, but I doubt if they're that much 

toocool4

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2023, 07:13 am »
You are better off trading it in with a Rega deal and getting some money off a new replacement Ania.

nature boy

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2023, 12:41 pm »
Call Steve @ VAS. He does a great job, prices are very reasonable, and there is a quick turnaround on repairs.

NB

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2023, 04:16 pm »
Call Steve @ VAS. He does a great job, prices are very reasonable, and there is a quick turnaround on repairs.

NB

I've used Steve (VAS) for both of my Denon 103's. Great service and excellent results.

drmoss_ca

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2023, 04:39 pm »
I recently sent a Kontrapunkt C to Steve for a new stylus, and his turnaround was very quick - it was back here in Canada in just over three weeks, with a cost of $350USD. Sounds like new again!

Chris

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2023, 12:24 pm »
I recently sent a Kontrapunkt C to Steve for a new stylus, and his turnaround was very quick - it was back here in Canada in just over three weeks, with a cost of $350USD. Sounds like new again!

Chris
Do you confirm that the electronic equip Customs duties in Canada are 5%?
Its to add to our table.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176690.0

drmoss_ca

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2023, 03:30 pm »
Actually, I paid no duty. I marked the outgoing parcel "Return for repair" and had Steve put "Returned after repair" on his customs declaration.

Maybe I was lucky. I have sent cameras for repair to the US and had to pay duty and taxes on the repair and the increased value of the item on return, which was very annoying! I do have a used Benz Micro LP-S on the way from the US, so I'll see in a few days how much duty that attracts. Even if the duty is but 5%, there is very likely to be 15% HST on top.

ketchup

« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2023, 04:23 pm »
I've used Steve (VAS) for both of my Denon 103's. Great service and excellent results.

What stylus profile did he install (if that's even what you had done)?  Have you measured SRA with a microscope when the top of the cart/tonearm is parallel with the record surface?  I'm curious what yours measured if you have.

drmoss_ca

« Reply #10 on: 4 Oct 2023, 06:55 pm »
Do you confirm that the electronic equip Customs duties in Canada are 5%?
Its to add to our table.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176690.0

I just bought a used BM LP-S from the USA and paid 5.4% duty and taxes on import to Canada, if that helps.

Chris

mick wolfe

« Reply #11 on: 4 Oct 2023, 08:42 pm »
What stylus profile did he install (if that's even what you had done)?  Have you measured SRA with a microscope when the top of the cart/tonearm is parallel with the record surface?  I'm curious what yours measured if you have.

I simply told Steve I didn't want an overly fussy stylus profile. IOW, I wanted to listen to music, not constantly fiddle with cartridge set up. I believe he defines mine as a hyper elliptical. And yes, I believe he offers stylus profiles beyond that level. As far as measurements, my ear tells me he delivered exactly what I asked for.