Furman PST-8D as a power conditioner

pav13

Furman PST-8D as a power conditioner
« on: 30 Jun 2019, 03:47 am »
Hi,

I am new into the speaker hifi world.  I have heard PC can help clean up the sound.  I was wondering (to test the waters) if the Furman PST-8D power conditioner would have enough of an impact for me to notice?  Or am I wasting time at that level and need to look at different (ie more expensive) options.  I chose the pst-8d due to the Furman reputation and it being on sale. :) Thanks in advance.

benguin

Re: Furman PST-8D as a power conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2019, 12:49 pm »
I had a specific issue with some introduced noise from a digital source that wasn't resolved by a number of standard troubleshooting solutions.  Likely I would have gone to some isolation devices for hdmi/coax, but thought I'd try the 8D.  I picked it up when it finally went on a sale that hit my 'try it' price point.

End result- in this case, the digital separation circuit used in the 8D works.  With the source plugged into the standard bank, the background noise was present.  When using the digital receptacle, sound floor was lowered immensely.   As a benefit, the Furman 8d is a decent surge protector too, so it's got that going for it too.  Prewarning as you'll note in several reviews, it's bigger than you might think, so have a good place to locate it.
  - Ben

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2019, 09:31 pm »
I just ordered one from B&H photo for $125 with a discount code to use with my DAC. I will post my findings.  I needed a new surge suppressor any way.  I had been reading reviews on this model for a while.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2019, 11:57 pm »
Did zero for me. Turned and burned it 1.5 years ago. You need to decide what is in need of improvement relative to your power and shop accordingly.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2019, 12:29 am »
Did zero for me. Turned and burned it 1.5 years ago. You need to decide what is in need of improvement relative to your power and shop accordingly.

I am not expecting to hear any difference.  If I do, great, if not so be it.  I really just needed another surge suppressor.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2019, 12:36 am »
I've had a PST-6, PST-8, and Elite 15 PFi for years. The 6 on my office system, the 8 on the HT, and the Elite on the main system. I can say though I have several dimmers I've never noticed any hash in any of those setups. Honestly don't recall if I had issues prior to their use, so can't speak to that. However, I will say that thru several power outages, and the occasional power spike I've never had any equipment damaged which I believe speaks to their efficiency as protection. Also I can say I've not experienced any noticeable addition of noise to any of those systems. fwiw