Kaplan Cables H.E. Power Cord

Levi

Re: Kaplan Cables H.E. Power Cord
« Reply #20 on: 30 Apr 2009, 12:51 pm »
I asked Paul to help me rewire my dedicated 20amp feed from the panel.  Beat that!  :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2009, 12:52 pm »
I asked Paul to help me rewire my dedicated 20amp feed from the panel.  Beat that!  :thumb:

NICE!!   :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2009, 12:55 pm »
Thanks George.

My point is you can buy bulk wire as well. :thumb:  Well, I may have to ask Paul if this is ok to post.

I can almost hear my phone ringing now  :oops:

--Levi

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 30 Apr 2009, 12:58 pm »
Thanks George.

My point is you can buy bulk wire as well. :thumb:  Well, I may have to ask Paul if this is ok to post.

I can almost hear my phone ringing now  :oops:

--Levi

Given that it took 220+ feet of 10 gauge Romex for my dedicated 20 amp line, I don't think I will be going in this direction.   :o

George

Levi

« Reply #24 on: 30 Apr 2009, 01:06 pm »
220+ feet.  :o  That would be lots of cable however not impossible.  Just expensive. :)

I am still on the planning stages.  Perhaps, Paul should be the one to announce if he sells bulk cable.  I only need @35' feet.

Occam

« Reply #25 on: 1 May 2009, 02:19 am »
Levi,

I don't sell my raw cable. What I had thought we were planning for you was a really long extention cord,  a 35' powercord terminating in a rather nice dual duplex outlet box.

Many of us find ourselves in rental properties and are simply unable to install dedicated lines where we want, and end up seeking a way of using a dedicated or at least minimally compromised AC circut located across the apartment. I built an example of this last month for an apartment dweller, an initial 25' cord to a 4plex, which had another 8' cord exiting, that terminated in a second 4plex. All duplex outlets were my favorite HBL5x62 s. This allowed him to power his Wavestream V-8 monoblocs and some ancillaries from the first 4plex and locate the other 4plex on the other side of his very long equipment racks, powering his source components. This simplification of his power delivery, in the opinions of all who have heard it, was that in engineering terms, everything was simply mo' betta. It also allowed him far more flexibility in routing powercords and choice in how long he needed those cords to be. Not a small consideration for those who consider my cords, 'inexpensive', as it allows them to economize on the costly lengths of their componet's power cords.  :?

I hope you'll be pleased with improvements. You've been insulting my darling H.E. powercords by feeding them with that nasty Home Depot extention cord :P, and I thank you for rectifying the indignity.

Regards,
Paul

markC

« Reply #26 on: 1 May 2009, 02:31 am »
Paul,
if one were to try one of your creations as a "toe test", where would you suggest? Source, pre, amp(s)? I run a transport, dac, pre and mono blocks. Dac is tube output, pre is tube and amps are hybrid mosfet.

Levi

« Reply #27 on: 1 May 2009, 02:43 am »
Thanks Paul for the clarification.  I am glad that there is a great solution to improve power deliver to my components even for Apartment dwellers like me.  :thumb: 

"Life is Good" and "Ignorance is a bliss" :)

Be well,
--Levi

Occam

« Reply #28 on: 1 May 2009, 05:48 am »
Paul,
if one were to try one of your creations as a "toe test", where would you suggest? Source, pre, amp(s)? I run a transport, dac, pre and mono blocks. Dac is tube output, pre is tube and amps are hybrid mosfet.

That's a hard question. If your tube equipment takes a long time to come 'on song' or has an automatic stabilization period mute (like my CAT SL-1 pre) quick switch comparisons become more difficult. Longer term comparisons are not as dependant on that. Transports (unless slaved to a dac via wordclock, or brutally ASRCed by the dac) are very powercord responsive. Go figure...

I've not really answered your question, although I found that I'd written a Grey Paper on how I subjectively test powercords and what I specifically listen for. That has been exorcised, as non responsive, to be put in the Industry whatever thread.

You should test the cords on all your components, so at minimum you need at least a pair of cords with the same terminations in order to test them on your amps. (actually, if your pre has a mono switch, better yet, with a balance control, you can compare different cords for (perceived) differences with two different powercords feeding the monoblocs) If you have that pair of cords, and you're not making poweramp comparisons,you can also compare, on your sources, how the cords react individually, and in concert.

FWIW,
Paul

PS - and obviously, before making any powercord evaluation, one should make those minimal efforts to put their AC receptacle 'house' in order.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #29 on: 4 May 2009, 12:15 am »
The best configuration I've been able to come up with is amps to bypass sockets on the conditioner; DAC via the RFI deluxe power cord into conditioner; everything else using their own cord (my preamp has a captive cord) into the conditioner.  A Hubbell 15a wall outlet should be arriving very soon.  The conditioner will plug into that.  Sounding pretty good.
« Last Edit: 9 May 2009, 05:23 am by jimdgoulding »

gjclaxton@gmail.com

« Reply #30 on: 28 May 2009, 12:51 am »
Recently had a chance to hear a cord that paul made with a neutrik connector for a friend who was trying it on his audience power conditioner (teflon model).  i was over to listen to some interconnects between a new transport and dac, but we thought we would also listen to the difference in the power cord between the kaplan and the e powerchord that comes with the audience. the kaplan was not broken in because my friend has no way to put a neutrik connected cord on the cable cooker.  we started with some familiar music that i play on my system and i did not think that things sounded quite right -- but it could have been the new dac/transport.  substituted the kaplan cord and things got better.  things just sounded more in place.  better extension and definition and just overall a nicer presentation.  (it was a rhodium terminated cord).  at least in my friend's system it noticeably improved the audience conditioner.  more than a subtle difference.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #31 on: 28 May 2009, 03:01 am »
I've been experimenting with 2 of the copper cords and 2 of the others.  All 4 are outstanding and a tremendous value for the money.  Personally, in my system, the coppers work best on my amps with the others sitting on my preamp and conditioner for the source equipment.

The coherence and solidity of the sound is vastly improved.  There is a 'life' to the system now that simply wasn't there before. 

This is by far one of the best improvements in my system for the money that I've had in quite a while.

Bryan

Brown

« Reply #32 on: 28 May 2009, 01:45 pm »
I've been experimenting with 2 of the copper cords and 2 of the others.  All 4 are outstanding and a tremendous value for the money.  Personally, in my system, the coppers work best on my amps with the others sitting on my preamp and conditioner for the source equipment.

The coherence and solidity of the sound is vastly improved.  There is a 'life' to the system now that simply wasn't there before. 

This is by far one of the best improvements in my system for the money that I've had in quite a while.

Bryan

Brian what cords did they replace ? BTW good luck Paul, its not easy out there. However from what I've heard through the grapevine you have hit the nail on the head. I think its time for me to try one. Hint hint.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #33 on: 28 May 2009, 02:11 pm »
I've had a variety of different cords in the system.   Also, I've been experimenting on a 2nd system that I have in my living room so it was stock 12ga captive cords on Acoustat tube amps until I had the mods done.

I had tried the Audience cords which were a nice improvement but nothing like this.  I'm probably going to take all 4 over to RSquires house sometime and play on his system and see what they do. (Odyssey TOTL monos, Dynaudio Confidence C2, Odyssey Candella, Bolder SB3, BPT battery power supply, etc.)

Haven't had much time to listen to them on my other system which is similar to Rick's but mine has the Statement Bolder mod and I run a Korato preamp and Dynaudio Contour 3.3's

Bryan

Brown

« Reply #34 on: 29 May 2009, 02:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

Occam

« Reply #35 on: 30 May 2009, 06:17 pm »
Many thanks to all for posting their impressions on this thread; especially to those who've based those opinions on actually hearing my cords and conditioners. :thumb:

The Tweekgeek.com website should soon have the KaplanCable H.E. extension box listed [ my powercord terminated with a dual duplex receptacles in a diecast aluminum box], and hopefully a review from one or both of my beta customers.

Thanks to all,
Paul

tdangelo

« Reply #36 on: 21 Aug 2009, 03:30 pm »
I've been using the 20amp copper on my ASR power supplies and a 3 amp conditioning cord(copper) on my MW TP. I prob. have about 150hrs or so on them... Very nice cables - they made a nice improvement on the ASR(more body and sweetness) - the 3amp conditioning sounds good too. I used to have the MW plugged into an RSA Jaco but sold it before I got the Kaplan cable - I only need 1 conditioned outlet so the Kaplan was perfect.  Everything sounds very good and I have no desire for further cable experimentation  :D
Tony

Occam

« Reply #37 on: 25 Aug 2009, 09:34 pm »
Tony,

Thanks for the review. Short and concise. But where is the purple prose, the hyperbole?

......  Everything sounds very good and I have no desire for further cable experimentation  :D
Tony

But the beta version of my new speaker cables are almost ready to ship to you.... They are amazing and will make me an audiophile legend (in my own mind  :roll:8)

Thanks again,
Paul

tdangelo

« Reply #38 on: 25 Aug 2009, 09:37 pm »
Tony,

Thanks for the review. Short and concise. But where is the purple prose, the hyperbole?

......  Everything sounds very good and I have no desire for further cable experimentation  :D
Tony

But the beta version of my new speaker cables are almost ready to ship to you.... They are amazing and will make me an audiophile legend (in my own mind  :roll:8)

Thanks again,
Paul
WOO HOO  :D :D

arthurs

« Reply #39 on: 25 Aug 2009, 10:07 pm »
Interesting...any overview info you can share with us about the SC's Paul?  Without spilling too many of the beans that is....