Dynaco A25 Speakers

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Dynaco A25 Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 26 Feb 2020, 03:51 am »
I haven't decided what to do yet. They're just sitting around doing nothing. There's now a high probability that I will try to sell them on Craigslist first. There are something like 30,000 university students in our town. [Can you say 'overrun'?] Surely, one of them would like a pair.

Thank you for all the input. I do appreciate it.

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 26 Feb 2020, 07:18 pm »
Lucky students. I'll still be sitting around with $ in hand for shipping but I doubt it'll be a hard sell.

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 26 Feb 2020, 08:35 pm »
I haven't decided what to do yet. They're just sitting around doing nothing. There's now a high probability that I will try to sell them on Craigslist first. There are something like 30,000 university students in our town. [Can you say 'overrun'?] Surely, one of them would like a pair.

Toss in a lava lamp and a blacklight Jimi Hendrix poster and it should be an easy item to move.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #23 on: 27 Feb 2020, 01:42 am »
Toss in a lava lamp and a blacklight Jimi Hendrix poster and it should be an easy item to move.

Heck, if you gonna do a Karma with the blacklight Hendrix poster thrown in then I’m all in with #43 please.

mresseguie

« Reply #24 on: 27 Feb 2020, 04:59 am »
I'm afraid I haven't owned a blacklight poster of anyone for decades. Blacklight bulbs are cheap. The buyer can pick one up at Fred Meyer/Kroger.  :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #25 on: 27 Feb 2020, 05:23 am »
The idea of having a poster on my wall makes me cringe now.  :?

RDavidson

« Reply #26 on: 27 Feb 2020, 07:37 pm »

Most college students these days don't want bulky stuff...and why would they when tiny ear buds connected to a phone that fits in a pocket are entirely sufficient to them? Just get those classics over to Folsom and buy yourself a pair of EPI 100's.  :D

mresseguie

« Reply #27 on: 27 Feb 2020, 08:02 pm »
Most college students these days don't want bulky stuff...and why would they when tiny ear buds connected to a phone that fits in a pocket are entirely sufficient to them? Just get those classics over to Folsom and buy yourself a pair of EPI 100's.  :D

Valid point. However, I seem to recall a few of my son's college college buddies had simple audio or HT setups. There's a guy on our local Craigslist who has sold 2nd hand audio for years.

Folsom

« Reply #28 on: 27 Feb 2020, 10:04 pm »
I'm not far out of college, if that counts :lol:

I hope that's true about your son's friends, I want more people in the hobby.

RDavidson

« Reply #29 on: 28 Feb 2020, 04:38 am »
I'm not an old man myself, but college was many years ago. With that said, I guess there's a bit of a caveat to my overly generalized statement earlier. Vinyl's resurgence is clicking with some of the younger crowd, including college age folks. Along with vinyl, vintage hifi has caught on with that same crowd. Many record stores I've been in are often playing music on vintage gear and may also have vintage receivers and speakers for sale, reasonably priced. It's pretty cool to see. I find myself wanting an old receiver from time to time. I love the look and overall tactile qualities missing from a lot of modern gear. Old receivers can sound pretty darn good too. :D

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #30 on: 28 Feb 2020, 12:44 pm »
Valid point. However, I seem to recall a few of my son's college college buddies had simple audio or HT setups. There's a guy on our local Craigslist who has sold 2nd hand audio for years.

And a little older "young" people are getting into audio and HT.  My oldest is a little north of thirty and is setting up an audio/2 channel HT rig.  I gifted him a pair of Polk RTi6 speakers and I'm refurbing a Pioneer PL 550 turntable for him, so some of those college grads that stuck around town could be interested as well.

jcsperson

« Reply #31 on: 30 Apr 2020, 08:14 pm »
This thread seemed to die without so much as a whimper, let alone a bang. Did they get fixed? Sold?

My first pair of speakers were A25s. I had them through college and took them with me when I joined the Navy. There's an old expression among Navy wives that, "three moves equals a fire," and somewhere along the way my Dynacos, a Sansui integrated amp, and some Craftsman tools didn't arrive at my next duty station. All were replaced by other things, but I still miss those A25s.

Madisound has an "A26" kit, but I'm not paying $800+ for the nostalgia of re-owning them.

Madisound Seas A26

I'm guessing that my Canton Karat 40s are a step up from the A25s and I'm planning on relegating those to bedroom duty anyway. Maybe I'll keep an eye out on CL for a pair of A25s for garage speakers. 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #32 on: 30 Apr 2020, 08:28 pm »
A modern TL in the mold of the Radfords & IMFs that that kit drops into. From what people have said about this combo (all in Europe that i have seen) $800 would be reasonale value if popped into this box which will get much more out of the woofer.

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/classicTL-revisited-WD.pdf

dave

jcsperson

« Reply #33 on: 1 May 2020, 12:40 am »
Dave,

Stock crossover or a proprietary design?

mresseguie

« Reply #34 on: 1 May 2020, 01:37 am »
Wow. It was just two months ago that I last posted on this thread, yet all hell broke loose in more than one way (I don’t mean in this thread). I still have the A25 speakers and I still have not decided what to do with them. If I had an inexpensive amp to power them, I guess I could put them in my work/garden shed.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #35 on: 1 May 2020, 01:47 am »
Dave,
Stock crossover or a proprietary design?

Stock,

dave

Doublej

« Reply #36 on: 7 Jun 2020, 11:27 am »
Wow. It was just two months ago that I last posted on this thread, yet all hell broke loose in more than one way (I don’t mean in this thread). I still have the A25 speakers and I still have not decided what to do with them. If I had an inexpensive amp to power them, I guess I could put them in my work/garden shed.

Sell them to jcsperson so he can determine if they are as good as he remembers them to be.

mresseguie

« Reply #37 on: 7 Jun 2020, 02:20 pm »
Sell them to jcsperson so he can determine if they are as good as he remembers them to be.

Thanks for the nudge. There are just too many distractions in my life lately....I sent him a PM just now. Shipping costs will be pretty high, so his buying locally is a much better deal.

Michael

Edit: Nostalgia lost to another choice. It seems they're destined for my shed or a local sale.

dB Cooper

« Reply #38 on: 7 Jun 2020, 03:13 pm »
Thanks for the nudge. There are just too many distractions in my life lately....I sent him a PM just now. Shipping costs will be pretty high, so his buying locally is a much better deal.

Michael

Edit: Nostalgia lost to another choice. It seems they're destined for my shed or a local sale.

The defining characteristics if the A25 were definition, tight bass, and a flat impedance curve. The last two resulted from the 'aperiodic' tuning. I question whether this can be replicated in the DIY remakes and 'aperiodic ports' out there. It wasn't as simple a just putting some fiberglass in a port. Dynaco tuned the port in each system by feeding a low frequency square wave into the system and observing the output on an oscilloscope. The amount of stuffing was adjusted to get the resistance in the port and thus the transient response just right. I'm guessing the average end user lacks the gear to do that. A labor intensive process that no speaker maker would invest in a moderately priced model today.

This loading also makes the impedance surve quite flat, so it's easy to drive.

An A25 in good condition should still be listenable assuming the 5uf non polarized electrolytic crossover cap is good. Bass tightness would still be first rate. It has probably been surpassed in other aspects. But if the price is right (not $800) then WTF.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #39 on: 7 Jun 2020, 03:14 pm »

Location?