L2 Integrated Impressions?

bahorn1

Re: L2 Integrated Impressions?
« Reply #60 on: 9 Mar 2020, 01:24 am »
I recently upgraded from the LIO DHT w/DAC 2.0 to the L2i-SE w/DAC 2.0.  I agree with the comments that the L2i-SE is a definite step up from the LIO.  I haven't put that many hours on the L2i yet but love what I hear already.

Vinnie:  One question.  If I connect a headphone amp using the pre-amp outputs, is there anything I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Doug

Vinnie R.

« Reply #61 on: 10 Mar 2020, 01:44 am »
Hi Doug,

I agree with the comments that the L2i-SE is a definite step up from the LIO.  I haven't put that many hours on the L2i yet but love what I hear already.

8)  :)  :thumb: :singing:

If I connect a headphone amp using the pre-amp outputs, is there anything I should be aware of?

I recommend you set the volume control on your headphone amp to a setting that gives you enough "range" from the L2i-SE's volume control, as you will want to use
the L2i-SE's volume control when listening.

In other words, if you max out the volume control on your headphone amp and then find that the L2i-SE's volume control gets too loud too quickly, then you can
reduce the volume setting of the headphone amp accordingly.  This is' kinda' like reducing the gain of the headphone amp, in a way. 

Also make sure you have the speaker outputs of the L2i-SE switched OFF when using it as a preamp into your headphone amp (set "AMP" button on front panel
so the red LED next to it is not illuminated).

Finally - depending on the headphones used, you might want to try going with that Moon Audio adapter cable that I mentioned earlier and seeing you prefer using
the L2i-SE to directly drive your headphones.  :wink:

Enjoy it!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #62 on: 13 Mar 2020, 04:46 pm »

~ Audiophilia has just posted their review of the L2i-SE ~

https://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2019/12/27/hj2zytau8x44xp6xkvu18f59excd9k

Quote from: Anthony Kershaw / Audiophilia

For sure, it’s an easy visual winner in all of Rossi’s categories. Just look at it. But the sound it produces is very special. And some of the most musically inviting, transparent, sweet and diaphanous sound I’ve had the pleasure of hearing in my music room.

Happily, I can attest the L2i-SE is a masterpiece component.

Pair the L2i-SE with good cables and your favorite quality loudspeaker and you’ll be set for the final path of your audiophile journey. No compromises, no buyer’s remorse... In four months as the mover & shaker in my system, it astounded me daily with its musical ability. By its nature, the SE will give you a lifetime of musical pleasure. Very highly recommended.

:dance:

Many thanks to Anthony / Audiophilia.com!  :notworthy:

Vinnie

bahorn1

« Reply #63 on: 13 Mar 2020, 08:26 pm »
Congrats Vinnie on the Audiophilia review!  Question for you (or anyone who knows).  How is the DHT bypass mode enacted?

Thanks,
Doug

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #64 on: 13 Mar 2020, 08:41 pm »
Vinnie,
Congratulations on the superb review on your "Statement / Lifetime" component! ... but tell me something that I didn't already know?!! Living with your L2i-SE at two recent audio shows (CAF & the NYAS) with you, it was so "obvious" to my ears (and so many others) on how great the L2-SE is!!!

Congrats once again... Really well deserved!

Cheers,
Pete

gene9p

« Reply #65 on: 13 Mar 2020, 10:33 pm »
at 25k it better sound good.....

how about something more affordable..like an update..for LIO owners

or are we abandoned like Lexicon, B&K,  etc did..support only or take out a mortgage.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #66 on: 14 Mar 2020, 02:28 am »
Congrats Vinnie on the Audiophilia review!  Question for you (or anyone who knows).  How is the DHT bypass mode enacted?

Thanks,
Doug

Hi Doug,

Thank you! 

Next to each tube socket on the motherboard is a mini toggle switch.  With the toggles pointing to the left side, the tubes are enabled.  With the toggles pointing
to the right side, the tubes are bypassed.   Before you try doing this, the unit needs to be turned OFF (and the tubes removed).  Also keep in mind that you will
lose about 8dB of gain without the tubes.

Congrats once again... Really well deserved!

Thank you, Pete! 

or are we abandoned like Lexicon, B&K,  etc did..support only or take out a mortgage.

Hi gene9p,

This is an "L2 Integrated Impressions" thread, not a thread to complain about L2 pricing or to ask questions about LIO.
You can always feel free to email or call me to discuss this directly, ok?

Thank you,

Vinnie

krustykat

« Reply #67 on: 15 Mar 2020, 02:18 am »
at 25k it better sound good.....

Vinnie’s support of the Lio and his previous customers has always been top notch. Contact him before you complain, he can probably work something out with you.   Cudos to Vinnie for continuing to push the envelope at any price, you wont find much better. 

Terence T.

« Reply #68 on: 15 Mar 2020, 09:10 am »
Vinnie’s support of the Lio and his previous customers has always been top notch.

Hi Krustykat,
Likewise, I can attest to Vinnie's impeccable customer service which is second to none. :beer:

Hi Gene9p,

Have you considered the DAC 2.0 and LIO DHT routes for your LIO integrated? I believe the L2i-SE's sound quality has retained the LIO DHT's sonic flavour of musicality and smoothness. Maybe Vinnie can work out something for you.

Terence

« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2020, 01:22 pm by Terence T. »

gene9p

« Reply #69 on: 15 Mar 2020, 03:53 pm »
 I have the Dac one, but have a great external Dac from Bryston, I considered the DHT but it won't fit into my rack...ugh. I would have loved to upgrade to that and that was an option offered by Vinnie. I added the amp module also and some extra inputs too. I am not knocking Vinnie, no way what so ever. Having a Manley Chinook eliminates the idea of the phono stage. I tube roll that works wonders with different speakers, even lp playback.Did I mention I even sent my LIO in for a color change from silver to black..lol.It's been very quiet here lately so I apologize for my impatience. We need more participation and finding a way to get LIO owners more involved might help.

krustykat

« Reply #70 on: 16 Mar 2020, 04:17 am »
I considered the DHT but it won't fit into my rack...ugh.
Perhaps a rack upgrade as your next investment???:D  The DHT and DAC 2.0 upgrades are what make the LIO a premium component and should be considered as upgrade paths.  But I also understand your concern for future  upgrades for a platform that is modular and is now considered "obsolete"?

gene9p

« Reply #71 on: 16 Mar 2020, 02:27 pm »
I just bought and built a new rack recently but the tubes would hit the top. There is quite a bit of space between shelves and no way to expand the space with say a long and short pole as they are all one size except the footer but that has a round bottom.Very disappointing as a DHT upgrade has had me drooling since day one.

smargo

« Reply #72 on: 17 Mar 2020, 02:22 am »
i might be late on this - but i just saw that "the absolute sound" is reviewing the L2i se integrated in next month's edition

cant wait!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #73 on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:38 am »
i might be late on this - but i just saw that "the absolute sound" is reviewing the L2i se integrated in next month's edition

cant wait!

Hi Smargo,

Thank you, and yes, I mentioned this a few posts above and I am also looking forward to it (along with the other reviews in the works)!  :hyper:

---

Hi Terence and krustykat,

Thank you for your posts to try to help gene9p.

---

All,

Moving forward, can we please try to keep this thread focused on the L2i and L2i-SE?

Many thanks again,

Vinnie

Yomaha

« Reply #74 on: 21 Apr 2020, 07:29 pm »
Vinnie,

Congrats on the favorable review in the Absolute Sound!  Got mine in the mail on Monday.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #75 on: 21 Apr 2020, 07:51 pm »
Vinnie,

Congrats on the favorable review in the Absolute Sound!  Got mine in the mail on Monday.

Thank you, Yamaha!

I haven't even seen the new TAS issue yet.  I have a digital subscription, and they haven't uploaded the latest issue yet.  Hopefully soon!

Vinnie

krisstack

« Reply #76 on: 27 Apr 2020, 01:53 am »
I read the review this afternoon.  Nice!  I’m confused though - doesn’t the DAC module support DSD 512?  I have the DAC 2.0 in my LIO and I play some albums that are DSD 512.  Though I only have a few albums in that format. 

I plan on doing up sampling in the future, but I need to upgrade my Sonic Transporter.  My current model chokes using HQ Player at more than 128 feeding Roon, and is only able to get to 256 with Roon upsampling.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #77 on: 28 Apr 2020, 05:38 pm »

I finally got my copy!

The Absolute Sound, May 2020 Issue  8)

Quote from: Matt Clott / The Absolute Sound

“… the L2i-SE was a performance of passion, gestalt, and simplicity”

“The sweet sensuality of the 300B remained with added layers of
transparency and low-end extension, and highs flying a bit higher in the clouds.”

“To be honest, I have heard more expensive monoblocks that would have
been jealous. The midrange was luscious when it was supposed to be, and laid-back
when so directed. Those overused terms “fun” and “engaging” popped into my
brain several times. Highs were eloquently presented and never overwhelming, with
an immediacy and clarity that allowed the overall presentation to flow completely
unimpeded, like the waters of Niagara. I have no negative comments to make; it is
that simple.”

“…in its price class I believe it’s an apex predator. I struggled to pull
myself away from every listening session, and was frequently overwhelmed by the
emotion and majesty it had the capacity to convey.”

Thank you to Matt Clott and the TAS team - this is a tremendous honor!

-----

Quote from: kris stack
I read the review this afternoon.  Nice!  I’m confused though - doesn’t the DAC module support DSD 512?  I have the DAC 2.0 in my LIO and I play some albums that are DSD 512.  Though I only have a few albums in that format. 

I plan on doing up sampling in the future, but I need to upgrade my Sonic Transporter.  My current model chokes using HQ Player at more than 128 feeding Roon, and is only able to get to 256 with Roon upsampling.

Hi Kris,

Yes, DSD 512 and PCM 786kHz are both supported if your digital source supports them.  There isn't much music at these insanely high resolutions, but you can play with sample rate conversion in some systems (e.g. Roon sample rate conversion).  When doing so, I have been more than happy with DSD256 - but you know, the bigger the number...  :wink:

Vinnie

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #78 on: 28 Apr 2020, 08:23 pm »
   Great review and well deserved.

charles

Fidelity88

« Reply #79 on: 8 May 2020, 07:04 pm »
Hi Vinnie,