Happy 49th Birthday Ice Cube

Emil

Happy 49th Birthday Ice Cube
« on: 15 Jun 2018, 03:38 pm »

Tidal has exposed me to a whole new world of music and some of it is quite good :thumb:

"We Be Clubbin"  Clean version :lol:

Yaeeyaae uh huh uh huh brrr
We be clubbin'
Heyy hey heyy heyy look here look here first of all I want to welcome
All y'all broke ass entreponiggas to the Player's Club. Yaeeyaae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaZBzxc3f7I

RDavidson

Re: Happy 49th Birthday Ice Cube
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2018, 06:58 pm »
Ha!
Oh man....
"We Be Clubbin'" isn't even close to his best, but it's catchy and fun. Most would say "It Was a Good Day" is his best ; Undoubtedly his biggest solo hit anyway.

Happy B-day to a true pioneer of the genre and industry.

Emil

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2018, 07:02 pm »
Ha!
Oh man....
"We Be Clubbin'" isn't even close to his best, but it's catchy and fun. Most would say "It Was a Good Day" is his best ; Undoubtedly his biggest solo hit anyway.

Happy B-day to a true pioneer of the genre and industry.

Drunk as hell but no throwing up
Half way home and my pager still blowing up
Today I didn't even have to use my A. K.
I got to say it was a good day.

Always a good day when you don't have to use your A.K. :lol:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2018, 07:06 pm »
As a white guy who grew up a outside of the poorest areas in our country, I never had a good feel for what it must be like to grow up in those areas.  Ice Cube (and this song specifically) gave me a glimpse into that world in a way that felt real.  These lines in particular:

I picked up the cash flow
Then we played bones, and I'm yellin' domino
Plus nobody I know got killed in South Central L.A.
Today was a good day

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2018, 07:42 pm »
I know what you mean, Tyson. Unfortunately, story telling is a lost art in most of today's rap music. :thumbdown:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2018, 08:20 pm »
I know what you mean, Tyson. Unfortunately, story telling, is a lost art in most of today's rap music. :thumbdown:

I think it might just be that really great storytellers are rare, whatever the genre.  I'm thinking of people like Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash in the Country genre, they were awesome, but who else is on that level?  Almost no one.  Or for a more modern artist, Tom Waits or Ani DiFranco - both are just stunning storytellers (and songwriters), and again there's almost no one else on that level. 

Which, in a way, I'm kind of glad about.  If everything were always awesome all the time, I'd have nothing to complain about, and we can't have that!  Hahaha.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2018, 09:26 pm by Tyson »

Emil

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2018, 08:37 pm »

Give James McMurtry a listen if you like story telling

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2018, 08:50 pm »
Well Story Rap is actually sort of a sub-genre or style of rap, made famous by Slick Rick. A lot of rap through the 90's and even early 2000's was this general style. NWA's music and a lot of Ice Cube's music is classified as Gangsta Rap, but I feel this is still a stylistic spin-off of essentially Story Rap. Prior to this, rap music was primarily dance hall music. I would say that most rap music now is "dance hall" music. No message. No story. Just words and beats for people to bang in their cars, dance to, etc. That's fine, but there's no substance. But as you said, with most every kind of music, one has to seek out substance...or we'd have nothing to complain about. :lol: