Top Dog?

AVB

Top Dog?
« on: 24 May 2003, 12:34 pm »
Given that the design of the ST III SRE is at least 8 years old and the RM/X is about a year old, which should be considered the top VMPS model based on performance, not price?  Why do you think so?

Sa-dono

Top Dog?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2003, 04:52 pm »
I would say the RM/x because it is the latest design, has the new tweeter, and has the slim baffle for the highs and mids.

AVB

Top Dog?
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2003, 01:11 pm »
Jeez, just one opinion.  Must be the Holiday. :D

JohnR

Top Dog?
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2003, 01:36 pm »
Quote from: AVB
Jeez, just one opinion.  Must be the Holiday. :D

Must be, only 60-something posts in the last 24 hours ;)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Top Dog?
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2003, 12:47 am »
Brian will kill me for posting this, but the RMX is mostly vaporware.  There is a sum total of one working pair in existence.  Large scale production delivery has unknown date.  The best below the STIII SRE is the FF1 SRE Active Neo.  I have a perfect mint condition pair for sale for $5k plus delivery.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Re: Top Dog?
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2003, 12:53 am »
Quote from: AVB
Given that the design of the ST III SRE is at least 8 years old and the RM/X is about a year old, which should be considered the top VMPS model based on performance, not price?  Why do you think so?

Well, of course the STII is the best right now.  It needs a decent sized room.  It's dynamic capability, deepr bass, & lower distortion/ease place it above the next down, the FF1 SRE.  The active XO & biamp cleans up the bass & XO region considerably.  Wanna buy a couple pairs?

AVB

Top Dog?
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2003, 02:26 am »
No thanks Jim, I already have the ST III SRE along with 2 sets of SuperTowers.  $5K is a good price for the FF1 SRE though.

I thought that there was at least 3 RM/X speakers made.  They did use them  at the show.  As for how many more in addition to those three, I don't have a clue.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Top Dog?
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2003, 04:35 am »
You thought right.  There were 3 at CES.  Two sold, one went back to the cabinet shop, unknown disposition after that.

lifewithmusic

Top Dog?
« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2003, 04:57 am »
Clearly then the RXM isn't vaporware then, in the computer software sense of the word since the product is in existence.

cbartolomei

Only 1 working pair of RM/X's....?
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2003, 02:06 pm »
I have no idea how many pairs of RM/X's that there are in existance, but one is enough for me.  My pair sounds just fine. :wink:

CB

Horsehead

Top Dog?
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2003, 02:39 pm »
You lucky bastard! :mrgreen:

How about some more details to tease us?  Associated equipment?  TRT caps?  Pictures? How's the finish?  What did you have before the RM/Xs?
Thanks!

cbartolomei

Top Dog?
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2003, 04:23 pm »
I've tried to photograph them- but my pics always suck for some reason.  Yes they have TRT caps.  If these are the only pair, then for some reason they still needed another 100 hours or more of break-in time.  The passive is a pain in the ass to adjust (due to breakin and impatience).  But Brian is right, you can easily tell when you have too much or too little dampening.  

Sound:  Nice :?

I miss a little of the air that you get from a dipole/bipole, but they actually have great depth.  The highs are awesome.  Very sweet, dynamic and pure.  The midrange is quick and clean, yet has the drive that few high end ribbon or electrostatics can deliver.  I get the feeling that the mids could be cleaner if they didn't have all that metal in front of ribbons.  The bottom end is very good.  Anybody who says/thinks that VMPS bass is boomy hasn't heard these.  That said, the best bass I've had in my system was from Genesis 201's.  I suspect that the separate bass towers- with all those woofers driving the room from different hieghts and directions were the real key.  But the RM/X's do have great tight bass.  Oh, and the cabinets are by far more solid/less resonate than the Genesis cabinets.  In fact, the seem more solid than Vandersteen subs... and that is saying something!    

As for my speakers from the past... Sound Lab M-1's, Genesis 201's, Apogee Duetta Sig's, Acoustat Spectral 22's, Acoustat 1+1's, Maggie SMGa's and Altec 19's.   In that order.  Plus countless subs.

My current system:
Wadia 860X w/ESP Essence power cord pugged into a PS Audio P300 for AC.  Connected into the AES digital processor loop of the Wadia is a Tact RCS 2.0 using Harmonic Tech cable.

The Wadia feeds a Audio Research VT-200 via balanced Acoustic Zen silver ref (whatever).  But, sitting directly on the inputs of the VT-200 are Vandersteen M5 passive balanced x-overs set at about 80Hz.

I use the single ended (RCA) outputs from the Wadia to drive a Spectral DMA 150 for the RM/X woofs.  The interconnects feeding the Spectral are also Acoustic Zens.  The DMA is pugged in using a ESP Essence power cord.  Both the ARC and the Spectral are plugged into seperate 20 AMP circuits.  Also plugging into the outlets of each is a Richard Gray RGPC.  My speaker cables are Transparent Ref XL's on the ARC and MIT 750 Shotguns on the Spectral.  

In my room I can't (well I choose not to) place the RM/X's against the back wall... so they need a little help on the bottom (due to a room suck out).  So I suppliment the bottom with a pair of Vandersteen 2WQ's.  The 2WQ's get their input from the ARC's speaker taps.  The 2WQ's are plugged into the RGPC's mentioned above.