"Introducing The Amazing Compact Disc" 1982

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: "Introducing The Amazing Compact Disc" 1982
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2020, 03:40 pm »
An aside.. I bought a used Adcom DA700 back in late 90's? anyway it cost me $250. I used it and even returned a highly praised $2300 greatest thing since .. DAC because it was no better than my Adcom,, back in 2010.
Finally in 2018 after upgrading speakers my dealer loaned me a $7000 SACD.DAC.. and gee it did sound a little better.
So for a 1% improvement, it cost me $7000 vs the $250 investment I had prior. Was it worth it? yeah, Audiophile style.
I still have about 2,500 CDs..
And plenty of them, including old ones sound great.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2020, 04:52 pm »
  Still a 44.1 person. However recently discovered Blue Coast Records. Actually recorded in DSD for download purchase. Not cheap but off the charts sonics. The Master quality CDs are the bomb as well. www.bluecoastrecords.com

charles

gkoop

« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2020, 01:54 am »
Oh my, I know this topic isn't new but it brought back a memory of when I was one of the first in my little circle to jump onto the CD bandwagon. My first unit was the Yamaha CD1 - when it was just released

. Perfect sound forever! Well, maybe not, but it sure was a revelation to have no pops clicks skips and surface noise.

yeldarb

« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2020, 03:39 am »
In the mid 80's, I heard the first CD players at a store I had previously worked for.  I wasn't impressed.  They sounded "sheeny" or "white glazed".  I ordered a Denon DCD 1500, and had to wait weeks for it to come from Japan.  Never heard it, and there were no reviews.  Just a hunch.  The Denon sounded warm and natural with no "glaze".  Still have it, boxed and stored.  I bought no vinyl for 25 years.  The Denon was eventually bumped for an Ack! dac and a computer disc drive that used a carrier cart for the discs.  It went a long way toward the sound of the best vinyl.  I traded it for a new version of the Ack! which had all the best attributes of the original with more "punch".  Ack! dacs are battery powered, unfiltered and don't oversample.  I eventually got back into vinyl, but all the PIA factors are still there.  Pops, clicks, static, dirt and even a new release with paper embedded in the disc.  The return of regrind.  And the prices of a black disc are nuts.  So, I listen more to CDs, which are going cheap these days, especially the previously played.  A lot of artists released CDs that will never get to vinyl.

I ought to get out the Denon and see if it works and whether I still think it sounds good.   :roll:

gkoop

« Reply #24 on: 31 May 2020, 06:43 pm »
By and large I recall being very happy with the Amazing Compact Disc when it came out. But there was also a lesson to be learned when my friends and I discovered that some CDs actually sounded worse than the LPs we loved... and so the journey begins...