New WOW1's

ricardojoa

Re: New WOW1's
« Reply #20 on: 13 Apr 2013, 05:39 am »
One thing , i dont think that room is small, and with those small woofers aregoing to be dificult to fill the room with bass. With front ported , you will aso no be able to get load from the rear wall. Just my thoughts.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #21 on: 14 Apr 2013, 03:13 am »
Isn't bass predominantly omnidirectional?

One thing , i dont think that room is small, and with those small woofers aregoing to be dificult to fill the room with bass. With front ported , you will aso no be able to get load from the rear wall. Just my thoughts.

ricardojoa

« Reply #22 on: 14 Apr 2013, 03:45 am »
Isn't bass predominantly omnidirectional?

Most people will say frequency below 80hz is hard to localized and are omnidirectional. Not sure what you are trying to relate to my post, but sure bass isn't omnidirectional. It is sound wave they must fire from somewhere.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #23 on: 14 Apr 2013, 08:04 pm »
Omnidirectional means it radiates in all directions from the source which is the speaker. In other words, the low frequencies load off the rear wall from just about any speaker placed near a rear wall. The location of a port on the front or rear baffle has only a minor effect. You will also get the same effect of this type of reinforcement from a sealed speaker. If you place a speaker in a corner, you get an increased reinforcement.

Most people will say frequency below 80hz is hard to localized and are omnidirectional. Not sure what you are trying to relate to my post, but sure bass isn't omnidirectional. It is sound wave they must fire from somewhere.

ricardojoa

« Reply #24 on: 15 Apr 2013, 05:30 am »
Omnidirectional means it radiates in all directions from the source which is the speaker. In other words, the low frequencies load off the rear wall from just about any speaker placed near a rear wall. The location of a port on the front or rear baffle has only a minor effect. You will also get the same effect of this type of reinforcement from a sealed speaker. If you place a speaker in a corner, you get an increased reinforcement.

You will need a sphere speaker to radiate its soundswave in all direction. Bass frequencies comes from the port and from the woofer, they dont radiate from the top panel, side panel or rear panel of the cabinet. There is definetly a misconception being unble to localized low frequency and the association of being omnidirectional. If the location of the port has minor effect, no one would be worry about pulling their speakers of the rear wall of whatever inch or bother to to opt for from ported. Sure any speaker will get a room load, but a rear ported will have  greater effect. Just do a simple trick, if you have a sub, just move the direction of the woofer within the same location. You will hear a diferrence.

Gzerro

« Reply #25 on: 15 Apr 2013, 03:18 pm »
Bass frequencies comes from the port  If the location of the port has minor effect, no one would be worry about pulling their speakers of the rear wall of whatever inch or bother to to opt for from ported.

This is not correct as I understand it. No musical energy comes from the port.

The port only provides a way to tune the woofer by providing the appropriate amount of backpressure to the woofer. As long as the speaker isn't so close to the wall that the port is blocked (thus changing the backpressure), it doesn't matter if the port is on the front or the back.

PMAT

« Reply #26 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:13 pm »
How do they sound now? What are those little gems like when you turn the volume way up?

srb

« Reply #27 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:14 pm »

Contrary to what one might have read, the simple fact to me is that if you put your ear up close to a port you can hear some actual bass content coming out of it.

Steve

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #28 on: 15 Apr 2013, 09:08 pm »
I got to spend some additional time listening to them this weekend. I move them as far back to the wall as I could, within 12", and left the sub off almost all day. I think they sound great, however I also know I'm not maximizing their potential as my room is horrible and I'm not sure the Peachtree has enough oomph. I live about 3 miles from Aperion's office and took home a pair of the Verus Grande bookshelves just to compare. These are larger speakers and they're more efficient (87db vs 83db). I immediately noticed that while the VG's are larger, and nicely constructed, the speakers weigh considerably less than the WOW1's. I would estimate about 3-5lbs per speaker, but I didn't weigh them. This makes we wonder if Aperion engineers their cabinets to save weight since they have free shipping. Not that the cabinet is poorly made, its actually very nice, just that for a speaker its size I expected it to weigh more, but that could also be because I had been used to handling the WOW1's which are heavy for their size. The difference in sensitivity was noticable and the Verus Grande's are very nice speakers, especially for their price. However, the WOW1's revealed a lot more detail and the bass was deeper, but maybe not as loud at higher frequencies, but had more depth to it. The VG tweeter was definitely brighter and became a bit shrill on a couple tracks I listened to. I listened to the Verus Grande's for about an hour, but once I hooked the WOW1's back up I couldn't take them down. Nothing wrong with the VG's though and they played with an ease to them that made me wonder how the WOW1's would sound with more power driving them. My PT Nova is 80 wpc. and as I crank the volume (and since I had the house to myself I took the liberty of doing this) they sound a little constrained. Don't get me wrong, they easily fill the room with sound, but they lose some imaging and detail, and I still don't think I'm getting their full bottom-end. Since I had about $250 in credit on Amazon, I noticed Emotiva selling some amps through amazon and decided to use my credits to buy their UPA200. This amp is rated at 125wpc @8ohm, and since its only costing me $100 out of pocket I can't think of a better deal. I'm curious how the extra power will sound. I'm also going to be setting up a 10x12 listening room this weekend which will be much better suited to listening to music instead of just hearing it. Once I have the amp and set up the room I'll repost with more details.

ricardojoa

« Reply #29 on: 15 Apr 2013, 10:01 pm »
I really have no mood in dereailing this post into my someones topic. My original comment was more like having some expectation to smaller woofer in terms of bass performance and roomsize, not to desperage the wow's. I have a pair of beautiful full bafle ST, so im defenetly a fan of Salk.
Whats important is that abd1 in enjoying his wows, i will focus on the midrange detail and imaging as you go by enjoying them.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #30 on: 21 Apr 2013, 06:52 am »
I'm setting up a temporary 12X10 listening room tomorrow. I'm wondering how far apart the speakers should be? I'll be seated about 8ft away from the speakers. Is their a standard formula or ratio or should I just trial and error the placement of the speakers? Thanks.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #31 on: 21 Apr 2013, 03:54 pm »

The port only provides a way to tune the woofer by providing the appropriate amount of backpressure to the woofer. As long as the speaker isn't so close to the wall that the port is blocked (thus changing the backpressure), it doesn't matter if the port is on the front or the back.

Then how come you can measure the output from the port (see any Stereophile plots of a bass reflex speaker)?  At the port tuning frequency, the woofer hardly moves.  Virtually all of the output is coming from the port.

ricardojoa

« Reply #32 on: 21 Apr 2013, 04:56 pm »
Then how come you can measure the output from the port (see any Stereophile plots of a bass reflex speaker)?  At the port tuning frequency, the woofer hardly moves.  Virtually all of the output is coming from the port.

I have done a few test tone from 20hz -250 hz over my ascend sierra, tone up to 250hz came out from the port but of course it wasnt loud like you would hear from the driver, but if if i stuck my ears close enough, sure i could hear the those  tones.

jsalk

« Reply #33 on: 22 Apr 2013, 02:18 am »
I'm setting up a temporary 12X10 listening room tomorrow. I'm wondering how far apart the speakers should be? I'll be seated about 8ft away from the speakers. Is their a standard formula or ratio or should I just trial and error the placement of the speakers? Thanks.

If you are 8' from the speakers, I would spread them an equal distance to start with.  You can then make some minor adjustments from there if needed.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #34 on: 22 Apr 2013, 02:35 pm »
If you are 8' from the speakers, I would spread them an equal distance to start with.  You can then make some minor adjustments from there if needed.

- Jim

+1

I found this to work very well in my room (I ended up with them slight wider apart than the distance to my prime LP).