New King STM owner

rockn

Re: New King STM owner
« Reply #20 on: 28 Apr 2020, 01:32 am »
How do u guys include the quote when answering a post??

morganc

« Reply #21 on: 28 Apr 2020, 02:11 am »
Hit the quote button on the top right of the post. 

rockn

« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2020, 02:52 am »
Hit the quote button on the top right of the post.

Thanks again Morgan!

AvsFan

« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2020, 11:31 pm »
AV, thank u sir, I have a feeling my Cherry adventure is just beginning...

That’s what Tommy does. He gets you hooked with the STM and makes you an addict! Then you’re just begging him for more! Lol.  :D
I am begging him right now for my DAC DAC 2HS.
Top quality stuff though!

rockn

« Reply #24 on: 2 May 2020, 06:53 pm »
Back wall😀
Yeah, with the KING STM, you should have PLENTY of clean power!
I had the 48v STM and it almost got me to where I wanted but not quite. I have Magnepan LRS's, which are VERY demanding and hard to drive!  Tommy and I talked about moving up to the KING, then to a 2-CHerry, then we finally decided on his top of the line Golden Cherry monoblocks. In heaven with this combo! Tommy's electronics are high end! Not high priced. They're just stupid good!

And I had his DAC DAC 1HS and I had the EXACT same experience with the STM. When I went DAC straight to the STM and used the volume control on the STM!!!!! Holy smokes! It was so good! I mean a very noticeable difference. Switching back to my pre-amp for volume control still sounds spectacular, but not as good as going straight to the STM. The tradeoffs are convenience for sound quality.
Now owning the Golden Cherries, I have to use volume control but am getting a manual, balanced, passive preamp sent to me to try to interfere with the signal as little as possible. Should be as close to a straight pass through signal from source to amps. Here is my set up with STM and now.

I’m thinking of trying a pair of the LRS’s! I’m just finding out about these 😲 for $650 how can I go wrong!

rockn

« Reply #25 on: 2 May 2020, 07:23 pm »
Why was my post inside the quote box? Still a rookie poster...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 2 May 2020, 07:44 pm »
Because you wrote your response inside the quote.

When you click to quote a post, write your response after and below the very last word of all the text.

Hope this helps.  :D

rockn

« Reply #27 on: 2 May 2020, 08:07 pm »
Because you wrote your response inside the quote.

When you click to quote a post, write your response after and below the very last word of all the text.

Hope this helps.  :D
Like this? Thanks

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 2 May 2020, 10:28 pm »
Like this? Thanks

YES - You got it!

:D

rockn

« Reply #29 on: 4 May 2020, 04:59 pm »
For some reason today my STM will suddenly go into standby mode. It has happened 3 times today🤔 normal listening levels, just streaming internet radio. Checked all connections...looks fine. Any thoughts??

Bob

Wind Chaser

« Reply #30 on: 4 May 2020, 05:10 pm »
Never heard of that one before. Give Tommy a call and see what he says.

rockn

« Reply #31 on: 4 May 2020, 05:51 pm »
On another subject, when using the amp with a pre amp should the volume always be in full position or is there some kind of balance to consider? Say maybe three quarter on the amp and more volume on the pre...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #32 on: 4 May 2020, 07:47 pm »
On another subject, when using the amp with a pre amp should the volume always be in full position or is there some kind of balance to consider? Say maybe three quarter on the amp and more volume on the pre...
Setting it to max is OK, but some listeners set it to limit max volume.  If you're interested in a MK2 upgrade, please email me at Support@DigitalAmp.com.  Thanks.

rockn

« Reply #33 on: 4 May 2020, 08:35 pm »
Setting it to max is OK, but some listeners set it to limit max volume.  If you're interested in a MK2 upgrade, please email me at Support@DigitalAmp.com.  Thanks.
I am interested in the upgrade as mine does run very warm also for class D. I will be emailing u soon.
Thanks

AvsFan

« Reply #34 on: 5 May 2020, 04:50 am »
Why was my post inside the quote box? Still a rookie poster...

Haha. I've actually done that myself at times. Depends on what device I am using. Sometimes I think the quote is done but I am right in the middle of it still. LOL

I was looking at that post and I was confused for a quick second. I was like, I should try these for $650? I already own them. And then was like, did I say that awhile back? LOL. Thanks for messing with my mind a little rook.  :D

AvsFan

« Reply #35 on: 5 May 2020, 04:53 am »
Like this? Thanks

Exactly. You can also modify your posts as well. So if you see a mistake, go change it. You can even go change the mistake you made with your quote in my quote still. Just hit that modify button.  :)

rockn

« Reply #36 on: 5 May 2020, 05:09 am »
Hey AF, yep l ordered the LRS today. Also contacted Tommy about getting my STM upgraded. This pandemic is killing me...all I’m doing is listening to music and buying, selling and upgrading my audio😎 It’s a great hobby a...
« Last Edit: 5 May 2020, 01:07 pm by rockn »

MttBsh

« Reply #37 on: 5 May 2020, 03:22 pm »
I purchased a King STM with the MK2 upgrade from Tommy a couple of months ago (as it turned out, just in time for the Stay At Home) and am loving it. Since I never heard the STM without MK2 I don't know if the upgrade improves the sound quality but it certainly runs cool, barely warm after hours of play. I use a remote Tortuga passive pre, so I have always left the STM at full volume and adjusted the Tortuga volume by remote control. 

rockn

« Reply #38 on: 5 May 2020, 04:05 pm »
I purchased a King STM with the MK2 upgrade from Tommy a couple of months ago (as it turned out, just in time for the Stay At Home) and am loving it. Since I never heard the STM without MK2 I don't know if the upgrade improves the sound quality but it certainly runs cool, barely warm after hours of play. I use a remote Tortuga passive pre, so I have always left the STM at full volume and adjusted the Tortuga volume by remote control.
That’s good to hear, heat is not a friend to electronics. I actually backed the volume to about 1 o'clock on the amp running through my Schiit Saga pre, for whatever reason it sounds a bit better. Something to play with I guess...

AvsFan

« Reply #39 on: 5 May 2020, 05:24 pm »
That’s good to hear, heat is not a friend to electronics. I actually backed the volume to about 1 o'clock on the amp running through my Schiit Saga pre, for whatever reason it sounds a bit better. Something to play with I guess...

What I have found is it's best to just go source to STM. Take the pre out of the mix.