Car audio?

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Car audio?
« on: 18 Apr 2010, 03:37 am »
Do any of you folks know anything about car audio?  There are some car audio forums, but I didn't find them to be much help.  I have a new car, and I want to install a new audio system.  The car has a terrible sounding system.

evan1

Re: Car audio?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2010, 05:33 am »
Believe it or not but I have found Crutchfield to be a big help in my teen years

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2010, 05:39 am »
An old thread.....here...  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2010, 11:50 am »
There are a number of us around with some experience in car audio - what are you trying to get done?

coke

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2010, 01:00 pm »
Budget? 

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2010, 01:10 pm »
I've played with a few things in my day   :eyebrows:

http://www.zapco.com/teamz/untitled_folder/Randy%20Kunin.html

Art_Chicago

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2010, 01:27 pm »
Do any of you folks know anything about car audio?  There are some car audio forums, but I didn't find them to be much help.  I have a new car, and I want to install a new audio system.  The car has a terrible sounding system.

If you do not mind, what is the brand of the car with a terrible sound? Just curious, as my wife's volvo has the same problem.

Audioclyde

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2010, 01:32 pm »
I've played with a few things in my day   :eyebrows:

http://www.zapco.com/teamz/untitled_folder/Randy%20Kunin.html

Randy "Hebrew Hammer" is too modest, but he is one of the legends in car audio sound quality competitions!!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2010, 03:45 pm »
Thanks for the replies, fellas.

The car is a Subaru STi Special Edition.  The Special Edition adds some performance options but removes some creature comforts, and the car comes with a base model head unit and four speakers in the door panels, two front and two rear.

I merely want something that sounds decent.  I don't want to add a lot of noise deadening panels, which defeats the purpose of the car.

I don't want to spend a lot.  I noticed that Madisound sold car audio speakers, but I just don't know anything about it.

bregez

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2010, 04:37 pm »
Subaru deletes any damping material in the doors for the STI models to minimize the weight of the car.  You can try using some Boom Mat speaker baffles to see if this improves the sound.  The baffles are cheap, light, and easy to install.

srb

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2010, 05:16 pm »
Stock speaker drivers are usually the weak link in comparison to stock head units.

I would avoid any drivers with non-audio related bling and hype  - 3-way coaxials, chrome parts, designs embossed into the surrounds, etc.  Although I haven't tried them, the Madisound Hi-Vi coaxials look like a good low-cost upgrade.  Hi-Vi makes some competitive audio drivers, and they use soft dome coaxial tweeters in these car speakers.

You will need to pull a speaker to check for the maximum depth you can acommodate.  Additionally, some stock head units have a line-out, and if yours does, a reasonably priced power amplifier might also be a cost-effective upgrade.

Steve 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2010, 05:45 pm »
One of the key traits that crappy auto speaker systems share is a lack of a low pass filter for the woofer.  They're usually allowed to run free, and its the woofer breakup and excess output in the lower highs that give car audio that gooey, plastered on quality.  3-ways are generally to be avoided, because both the woofer and mid may be breaking up.  I had a 5" Peerless system from Madisound many years ago (I'm pretty sure it's long gone) that was terrific because it used a proper crossover. 

srb

« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2010, 05:55 pm »
One of the key traits that crappy auto speaker systems share is a lack of a low pass filter for the woofer.

Yes, I assume that these Hi-Vi coaxials may have as simple as a high-pass capacitor for the tweeter and nothing for the woofer.  I'd bet it would still be an improvement over a stock speaker.

Dennis, the Peerless you had was a separate midbass, tweeter and 'proper' crossover?  A lot of people have gotten very good sound with Peerless or Dynaudio separate drivers and crossover, but the cost is usually somewhere between $150 and $300 per speaker location.

Steve

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2010, 06:51 pm »

Yes, I assume that these Hi-Vi coaxials may have as simple as a high-pass capacitor for the tweeter and nothing for the woofer.  I'd bet it would still be an improvement over a stock speaker.

Dennis, the Peerless you had was a separate midbass, tweeter and 'proper' crossover?  A lot of people have gotten very good sound with Peerless or Dynaudio separate drivers and crossover, but the cost is usually somewhere between $150 and $300 per speaker location.

Steve

This was a lot cheaper than that because it used the little 1/2" audax tweeter that cost about $8 a pop.  But that's history. 

DBeistel

« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2010, 01:07 am »
If you add new speakers and amp it would be to your benefit to add damping material and seal the doors. There is one company out there that I used that is a good bit cheaper that the dynamatt stuff. Also there are some internet car audio companies with great speakers; co-ax and separates/crossovers. The company I used was CDT audio for speakers and Elemental Design for the a 4 channel amp.

sarge_in

« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2010, 04:30 am »
I have Focal 165KR component speakers in the front and an Arc Audio sub with an Arc Audio KS300.4 amp. Sounds quite decent and can get pretty loud, though some may find it a bit on the brighter side. If you like smoother highs, you may look at Hertz - or Morel for even mellower. The source is a Kenwood DNX9140 all-in-one unit, and has been quite good - has 2 USB connections that I use for iPod for music and a USB drive for video.  All depends on what you are looking for and the budget of course..

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2010, 07:32 am »
If you have the hatchback, you've got space in the back. Just buy a pair of Salk Jordons and bolt them in!!!  :thumb:

http://www.salksound.com/speakers_other_jordansingle.shtml

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #17 on: 19 Apr 2010, 09:23 pm »
If you have the hatchback, you've got space in the back. Just buy a pair of Salk Jordons and bolt them in!!!  :thumb:

http://www.salksound.com/speakers_other_jordansingle.shtml

Yes, that would work.  30 years ago, I had an MGC with ADS, I believe, micro-style speakers mounted to the underside of the dash.  They sounded pretty good.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2010, 02:52 am »
Yes, that would work.  30 years ago, I had an MGC with ADS, I believe, micro-style speakers mounted to the underside of the dash.  They sounded pretty good.

Well, I can beat that.  I still have my 1973 BMW (that would be 37 years of continuous ownership) with ADS plate speakers in the front doors and Focals in the rear deck.  The ADS were great until the tweeters blew.  The Focals--never all that great.  But the BMW still gets me to work. 
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2010, 02:25 pm by DMurphy »

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:51 pm »
The real problem with car audio is the noise to signal ratio.  :)

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine