SCHIIT power amplifiers AEGIR and VIDAR

MisterD

SCHIIT power amplifiers AEGIR and VIDAR
« on: 5 Nov 2023, 01:38 am »
Wondering who may be using either the Aegir and/or Vidar (or Vidar 2).
I’m considering buying one or the other but leaning toward Vidar 2. I do use relatively efficient speakers (Lii F-15’s) and listen near field.

If you have used these Schiits, how did you like it, or them?

Thanks, Duane

toocool4

Re: SCHIIT power amplifiers AEGIR and VIDAR
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2023, 01:58 am »

artur9

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2023, 02:11 am »
I have a Vidar OG powering some Philharmonic BMRs.  Sounds great!

I do feel, though, that my BMR want more resolving amps.  Mind, the Vidar is resolving just that I, me, feel like I want more.

MisterD

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2023, 03:27 am »
I have a Vidar OG powering some Philharmonic BMRs.  Sounds great!

I do feel, though, that my BMR want more resolving amps.  Mind, the Vidar is resolving just that I, me, feel like I want more.

I think that we all want a little more.. ;)

I like the fun combination that Schiit offers though. Build quality - made in USA - and price. They’re also not bad to look at.

I’ve been very happy with their Saga, a tube-buffered passive preamp. I bought that one years ago and I just picked up their new Skoll phono preamp. Happy with the Skoll too but I’d really prefer a Klyne - just can’t afford one..

Wondering if the new Vidar 2 is a big improvement over the original (?).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2023, 03:30 am »
With the F15 my personal choice could be the Aegir 10W Class A.
This happens at about 10w according to what Jason said in his tech paper. A 20 w amp so Class AB. But unique.

dave

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2023, 03:48 am »
I had a pair of original Vidar and now have a pair of Aegirs. They’re similar sounding, but the Ageirs seem sweeter and a little more resolving to my old ears. I also like to try new things so the Aegirs are for sale in trading post to make way for more gear.

MisterD

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2023, 02:39 pm »
I had a pair of original Vidar and now have a pair of Aegirs. They’re similar sounding, but the Ageirs seem sweeter and a little more resolving to my old ears. I also like to try new things so the Aegirs are for sale in trading post to make way for more gear.

Peter, I’ll send you a PM. Have a couple questions.

Duane

KTS

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2023, 02:17 am »
I had been running a Vidar for a little over a year, the Vidar is clean and neutral, it’s an excellent amp. In my system it has excellent imaging and soundstage. Currently I am dabbling in DIY class A amps, but frequently swap the Vidar back to do comparisons on the differences. I have not had the pleasure of listening to the Aegir.

Thank you, Kelly

AllanS

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2023, 02:55 am »
This is a good straight up comparison by Cheap Audio Man but I believe before the Vidar 2 update.  Regardless, from what I remember of Steve Guttenberg’s Vidar comparo, I think the main character differences still apply.

https://youtu.be/duzibKqnw6s?si=nIWhaBBhpSCitPII