$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #100 on: 26 Jan 2010, 01:22 am »
How does it sound without blowing fuses?  I got the last of my supplies today.  This weekend will be it!

MerRev

« Reply #101 on: 26 Jan 2010, 01:28 am »
I had a chance to hear Steve's rig last week with the Class D amp driving the top half of his Maggies and I have to agree there's something special with it in place.  We all commented just how quiet (or rather nonexistent) the noise floor was with the big Hafler on bottom, the Class D amp and a VTL tubed pre.  I tend to be a tone junky and everything just seemed to meld together so well.  Good stuff Steve.  :thumb:   

santacore

« Reply #102 on: 26 Jan 2010, 01:55 am »
I'm getting my parts together and hope to build soon. Looking forward to it!

boone

« Reply #103 on: 26 Jan 2010, 07:11 pm »
Greetings,

Have a couple of questions. 
Has anyone heard both the 120w & 250w kits using the internal rectifier chip?
Any difference sonically?  I notice a couple of you have built your amps in wooden cases, any sonic penalty due to lack of shielding?  Thanks.

boone

Nick77

« Reply #104 on: 26 Jan 2010, 10:05 pm »
I have the 120 amp up and running, I got it all hooked up this morning and gave a listen for a few minutes. My first impression was wow this thing is very warm and musical, relaxed and liquid almost syrupy. I was almost unable to tear myself away from the house for work, I was enjoying it so much. I wasnt so sure about the bass yet but certainly was enjoying the much less edgy highs and warm mids.
I let it play the rest of day while i was away to help faciltate breakin if there is any. Upon futher listening the second time i find the bass tight and accurate and i have had no inclination to fire up my sub. I am finding that i now have a much larger soundstage and almost holographic presentation. It is still coming across as warm and musical and nonfatigueing which is just what the doc ordered because my room tends toward bright. I am really enjoying the sound and feel the 60 watts are adequate for my GR Research OB/7's.
I entered this whole thing as a huge skeptic but was certainly intruiged by the low investment since i was in the market for a used audiophile amp but my budget was keeping me from being successful. Even after ordering the amp i continued to shop for another amp thinking i could sell this classD if need be. Well the search is over and i am now a believer. Thanks Steve!
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2010, 12:25 am by Nick77 »

steve k

« Reply #105 on: 26 Jan 2010, 10:40 pm »
Glad to hear you have enough power with this amp! I was a skeptic too. It's too hard to believe for the price. Tom's website may be a little rag tag but he knows what he's doing with Class D amps. He told me he's working on a metal case for it. Look out when that hits the market!  :eyebrows:

mr_bill

« Reply #106 on: 27 Jan 2010, 01:02 am »
Do you have the TI or the IR based amp kit?

I have the 120 amp up and running, I got it all hooked up this morning and gave a listen for a few minutes. My first impression was wow this thing is very warm and musical, relaxed and liquid almost syrupy. I was almost unable to tear myself away from the house for work, I was enjoying it so much. I wasnt so sure about the bass yet but certainly was enjoying the much less edgy highs and warm mids.
I let it play the rest of day while i was away to help faciltate breakin if there is any. Upon futher listening the second time i find the bass tight and accurate and i have had no inclination to fire up my sub. I am finding that i now have a much larger soundstage and almost holographic presentation. It is still coming across as warm and musical and nonfatigueing which is just what the doc ordered because my room tends toward bright. I am really enjoying the sound and feel the 60 watts are adequate for my GR Research OB/7's.
I entered this whole thing as a huge skeptic but was certainly intruiged by the low investment since i was in the market for a used audiophile amp but my budget was keeping me from being successful. Even after ordering the amp i continued to shop for another amp thinking i could sell this classD if need be. Well the search is over and i am now a believer. Thanks Steve!

Nick77

« Reply #107 on: 27 Jan 2010, 01:12 am »
Do you have the TI or the IR based amp kit?

Beats me! How do i tell? I ordered the same one that Steve has.

steve k

« Reply #108 on: 27 Jan 2010, 01:22 am »
It's the IR chip.

Nick77

« Reply #109 on: 27 Jan 2010, 01:31 am »
Okay when your wife comes home and says wow that sounds incredible then you know your not fruity. She seldom takes notice of my hobbie but was very impressed. Described it as sounding big refferring to the new huge soundstage.
I am having fun.  :eyebrows:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #110 on: 27 Jan 2010, 01:33 am »

Okay when your wife comes home and says wow that sounds incredible then you know your not fruity. She seldom takes notice of my hobbie but was very impressed. Described it as sounding big refferring to the new huge soundstage.
I am having fun.  :eyebrows:

Told you.  :singing:

And you fellas jest thinking that his bigger offerings won't make even greater sub amps! I am looking forward to my 500 watt/8 ohm, 750 watt/4 ohm build!  :eyebrows:

Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #111 on: 27 Jan 2010, 01:34 am »
I'm looking forward to my 600w build.  If all goes well, maybe I'll make 600w monos. 

steve k

« Reply #112 on: 27 Jan 2010, 01:53 am »
I have replaced the output capacitors on the amp with auricaps since the photos and that seemed to smooth things out even more.

Avionic, you mentioned you replaced the output caps with Auricaps. How did you determine which ones are the output caps? How difficult was it to connect film caps in place of the small electrolytics on the amp board?

I was thinking of replacing the power supply caps.
steve

shadowlight

« Reply #113 on: 27 Jan 2010, 03:54 am »
Couple of questions for folks who have the amp already.

How difficult is it put together for person who has never done any DIY stuff?

What are the components that I need to supply or does the kit come with everything other than the case?  Do I need to worry about getting RCA jacks etc.  If yes, any recommendation on where to get some.

Looking at the web page I cannot figure out which amp is based on TI vs IR and which one runs cooler?  Leaning towards the 250w X 2 8ohms (http://classdaudio.com/index.php/class-d-amplifier-kits/home-kits/2-000-watt-rms-class-d-amplifier-kit.html or http://classdaudio.com/index.php/class-d-amplifier-kits/home-kits/250w-x-2-8-amplifier-power-supply-and-transformer.html) to drive the LS6 speakers and x-omni surrounds from AV123.

TIA
-Deepak

steve k

« Reply #114 on: 27 Jan 2010, 04:07 am »
As far as I know, the only two amps Tom sells with the TI chip are the 600 wpc and the 160 wpc. As far as assembly, if you're just mounting the boards on a breadboard, you'll need longer screws to get into the standoffs from underneath depending on how thick your board is.

Other then that, it's pretty easy. All the connections are screw connections requiring small screwdrivers. The tranny bolts down with a through-bolt. The amp board has RCA inputs already. The speaker connections are small screw blocks but will accept a 14 ga. wire or possibly one tong of a spade connector depending on the spade size. It's really meant to be mounted in a box and is easily done using all the same screw connections to new RCA's and binding posts.

If you have other questions, you should email Tom at: sales@classdaudio.com

steve

avionic

« Reply #115 on: 27 Jan 2010, 06:17 am »
Avionic, you mentioned you replaced the output caps with Auricaps. How did you determine which ones are the output caps? How difficult was it to connect film caps in place of the small electrolytics on the amp board?

I was thinking of replacing the power supply caps.
steve

Hey Steve I shot you a P.M.
  Some people have said that the TI chip amps sound a little brighter than the IR amps. I couldn't say as I only have the IR based amp.
  Shadowlight you can get a pre made case for about $50.00 and the rest of the parts that you need will probably be another $50.00. Of course you could spend a lot more depending on how exotic you want to get with wiring and such. Ebay is a good source. As is parts express or parts conexxion and many others.

Nick77

« Reply #116 on: 27 Jan 2010, 10:45 am »
I just used some scrap mdf to mount the boards and some bamboo flooring scraps i had to make the case. I just mounted the board toward the back of the case so i could still ultilize the on board rca's. I  picked up an iec/fuse and a pair of binding posts and a power switch and led lights for $26 at partsexpress. A little wire and the longer screws at the depot and then it just a matter of mounting the boards and wireing things up. Of course a nice metal case is ideal then the mounting screws will work. I soldered the led leads and the power switch to the board but you dont have too, one could use the onboard power switch or leave it powered on continually. You can almost make it as basic as you want to by mounting as Steve did in his first photo. The results are amazing, I have also heard most perfer the IR appliciation. I will definatly be keeping an eye out for Tom's case offerings.

JakeJ

« Reply #117 on: 27 Jan 2010, 11:52 am »
Been following this thread with great interest.

Avionic, could you please post a picture so I can know which caps are the output couplers?

Thanks,
JakeJ

santacore

« Reply #118 on: 27 Jan 2010, 03:55 pm »
I'm hoping to case this up this weekend, but have a question. How are you guys connecting the ground on the iec? Especially those that are using all wood cases. Input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nick77

« Reply #119 on: 27 Jan 2010, 04:29 pm »
I'm hoping to case this up this weekend, but have a question. How are you guys connecting the ground on the iec? Especially those that are using all wood cases. Input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Good question, mine is currently not connected. I sent Tom an email asking about this and will update.

EDIT:  Tom said as long as using a toroid transformer there is no need to ground unless having hiss or noise issues. I am having no such issues.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2010, 05:56 pm by Nick77 »