Building sysytem around NOS dac

joschmo

Building sysytem around NOS dac
« on: 4 Mar 2009, 08:06 pm »
I have a NOS dac and I really love the sound (I discovered that I am allergic to fast sound or however you wish to describe it). I have head phones now and want to build a speaker sytem with this or another NOS dac. I have been reading about Harbeths and they sound great (have not heard them yet but dealer is thankfully 2 hours away). I know NOS dacs need careful system matching and was wondering if anyone could give me some info on matching components (want ss amp and have blue circle pre amp that I like) like fast speakers (Physics), or harbeths, class D or A ?

Thanks

low.pfile

Re: Building sysytem around NOS dac
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2009, 09:06 pm »
I have 2 NOS dacs in 2 systems. Component matching really depends on you.

I think by "Fast" you mean very accurate (or sharp) which can sound less musical, to some. It doesn't matter what words you use to describe it as long as you do give a description!

Depending on how "slow" your current DAC is you could overdue it with certain "calm" speakers. While fast speakers may still be too intense for you. It's all about the formula to make the sound.

It would be a good idea to mention your NOS DAC to see what others with the same DAC are using for an Amp and Speakers. Also you should mention your headphones to give those who know your leaning.

And you must give a budget range... $400 or $4000?
Also are you trying to fill a huge room or small?

Depending on your budget, check out Red Wine Audio Amp which is a slightly warm/natural battery powered amp (some compare its sound to tubes). That is what I use. A used one shows up here now and then. The rest of my system is in the link below.

Hmmm? do you have a TADAC?

ed

joschmo

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2009, 09:32 pm »
Thanks for your reply, I have an audiosector and am looking into the red wine isabellina and audial aya II dacs.  My budget for speakers is around 3k and around the same for amps (flexible, nice to spend less though :)  I will look into the RWA amps.  Trying to fill a medium sized room.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2009, 10:42 pm »
Typically I think of "fast" as having great dynamics, which leads me towards high efficiency speakers.  But there's always a trade off.  High efficiency speakers are often colored (not accurate tonally) and give up deep bass.  OTOH some associate "fast" with having a forward presentation.  Horn loaded speakers exhibit all these characteristics.  In a medium sized room the colored/presentation can become oppressive.  Open baffle speakers can also be highly efficient (and so colored), give up deep bass, but offer a deeper (but less defined soundstage).  However they normally require significant clear space behind them to properly function (bass/imaging).

If you want "slow" speakers, look toward inefficient designs, like small sealed speakers with undersized woofers.  But in any case, shop for the speakers first, and then match an amp to them as speakers make more difference than any component in the system.

Small rooms (150 s.f. or less) pretty much dictate some sort of nearfield listening and can become overloaded from too much deep bass.  IMO this is where single driver speakers can shine.  They are coherent and image like champs.  By definition they are "active" speakers (one channel of amplification per driver) which provides deeper bass, flatter response, and more dynamics than you'd imagine from a single 4 - 8 inch driver.  Chip amps (like Audio Sector sells) are known to synergize very well with them and the typical 40 - 50 wpc limitation is not a problem.  Most single driver designs are efficient but bass weak.  Louis at Omega (see his circle below) sells a variety of single driver speakers within your price range and his workmanship (like Audio Sector) is stellar.  You can ask to see if an Omega owner lives nearby who can offer an audition.

Larger rooms (over 250 s.f.) opens the door to farfield listening and all kinds of speaker options.  But there is also the need for bigger amps.  You should make sure you have a good idea of what kind of sound you want before auditioning, especially if you're in a larger room.

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2009, 12:39 am »
No two DACs are the same - NOS or not.
You mentioned RWA DAC. (That is what I use)
Keep in mind that your actual taste in music, reproduction, room might be quite different from my own (or others who might suggest you any particular gear) .

Since I am into SD, horns and similar, my recommendation would be bias and miss informative.
However, those are the speakers that I would closely look into or at least try to audition.
Amplification will depend on the speakers choice. RWA amp should have the natural synergy with Isabellina DAC but I wouldn't limit myself to only one choice. Any quality PP or SET tube amp will do (not vintage) ........ or something like First Watt SS amp, as long as it works with your speaker choice.

Your budget is plenty to work with and will get you a really nice system.
If you want to get the best bang for your buck, shop used.
In case you feel the need to upgrade,
feel that you can do better or
to get the feel what it is that you think will suit your taste best.
the lost will be minimal.

After finding your own path - go for broke.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just my 2¢

Bemopti123

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2009, 02:20 pm »
Fast and slow sounding might have to do with function of certain speakers.  Fast sounding perhaps might have do with very fast midbass reproduction that might be the strength of certain type of speakers. 

All of this loudly calls into the typical FLAT Earther sound and their associated speakers, NEAT, NAIM, HARBETH, EPOS and other small 2 way mini monitors. 

The issue that I have with this fast sound is that sometimes the dynamic swings in extended listenings can get a little fatiguing.

I have a pair of horn loaded speakers along with a tube SET and I find these speakers also very speedy, but how JLM said, they do not give me goobs of low end as some people might prefer.  But then, I can remember systems whose speakers do provide audible low end that is quite notable in quantity but could not keep up with complex instrumentations. 

The best compromise I have had in terms of NOS DAC, of which I have one, the 47 Labs Shigaraki DAC, and tautness/fastness in the lows without becoming fatiguing was the following:

47 Labs Shigaraki Transport with upgraded Peter Daniels PS
47 Labs Shigaraki DAC with standard PS.
First Sound Paramount Hot Rod MK II model with one input
McCormack DNA-225 Power Amp
into
Gershman X-1 monitors (2 way with 5-6" Vifa woofer and 1" soft dome Vifa tweeter)

The 47 Labs digital and preamp are extremely pure, pratty
While the DNA-225 has the jump factor and reserve powers to drive even the most least efficient speakers.
All of which matches extremely well with the Gershman that usually sounds smooth and warm(some might call this sound a tad bit sluggish)
It is a summation of different sound qualities which will give you what you are looking for.

Another set up which will sound quite fast and yet not harsh, pratty, is a transmission line speaker, such as what JLM and I have, the FTA-2000.  This single fullrange driver speaker in a MLTL cabinet paired with a op chip amp is fast and yet non fatiguing.

Many ways of cutting or getting the sound you want, the search is the fun part. :thumb: