Tom Christiansen Audio (TCA) - Introduction

tomchr

• Industry Participant
    • Tom Christiansen Audio
Tom Christiansen Audio (TCA) - Introduction
« on: 4 Mar 2020, 06:37 am »
Hello Everyone,

Please allow me to introduce my latest adventure: Tom Christiansen Audio (TCA).

TCA delivers precision audio circuits that are rooted in science and solid engineering. I back my products with the most comprehensive set of measurements in the industry. My reason for this is simple: I firmly believe that more information is better, and that the accuracy of this information matters. I also sense that a sizeable and growing contingent of buyers value the measurements and use them in their purchasing decisions.
That said, some may value the opinions of trusted reviewers more highly than the measurements. That’s fine. I have no plans for preventing my buyers from reading reviews, and I will be just as happy filling the orders of those who base their purchase decisions on the opinions of reviewers. We can all coexist. :)

My educational background is in engineering (B.Sc.EE. honours, Engineering College of Copenhagen, 1999; M.Sc.EE., University of Washington, 2002) and psychology (B.A., honours, University of Calgary, 2019).
Precision analog circuit design has been the defining feature of my professional life. I started with National Semiconductor, where I designed precision opamps. The LMP2021 is one of my designs. Following a reorg, I ended up in the Precision Timing Group, where I worked on clock jitter cleaners and low-jitter clock generators for the cellphone infrastructure (see the LMK04800 and LMX2581 for examples). National was acquired by Texas Instruments in 2012, and I ended up working at National/TI for a bit over a decade. I learned a lot. Both about circuit design, but also about what it takes to implement a circuit that can be mass-produced by the millions at a very high yield.

The combination of precision amplifier design, low-jitter clock generation, and design for mass-production sets me up rather well for a career in precision audio, hence my current adventure.

I’m not new to business ownership. Many of you are likely familiar with my DIY business, Neurochrome, which I started in 2010. I deliver some of the lowest distortion amplifiers in the world. I realized, however, that to further push the performance of my circuits, I had to use surface mounted components, which necessitated the use of automated assembly and larger scale manufacturing. Thus, to fully pursue my passion for precision circuit design, I needed to take the next logical step and start a brand of retail products.

So that’s how Tom Christiansen Audio came to be. My TCA products are designed from the ground up as retail products. They are designed following industry best practices for the best performance and for the greatest longevity. That’s also why I back them up with a generous warranty.

A quality product starts with quality parts. My products are designed and assembled in Canada. The bare circuit boards are manufactured in the outskirts of Toronto, Canada. The circuit board assembly takes place in Calgary, Canada – a 15-minute drive from my house. I buy the electronic parts through authorized distributors and hand-deliver them with the bare circuit boards to my assembly house. I complete the assembly of the product and perform a performance test before packing and shipping the product.

Thanks,

Tom
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2020, 05:38 pm by tomchr »

tomchr

• Industry Participant
    • Tom Christiansen Audio
Re: Tom Christiansen Audio (TCA) - Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2020, 08:38 am »
The HPA-1 is my first product. It's a headphone amp with ultra-low distortion. I announced it and demoed a prototype of it last year at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, where it was very well received. I took delivery of the first batch at the end of January.

I presented the HPA-1 at the Florida Audio Expo three weeks ago, where it won Best of Show (https://hometheaterhifi.com/features/show-reports-film-festivals-concerts/florida-audio-expo-2020-coverage/).

The spec highlights include:
  • 1.2 W into 32 Ω
  • 250 mW into 300 Ω
  • THD < -130 dBc (0.00003 %)
  • 130 dB dynamic range
  • 132 dB SNR
  • 35 mΩ output impedance - compatible with any headphone!
  • 1.25 µV RMS integrated noise (20 Hz - 20 kHz, A-weighted)
  • ALPS RK271-series "Blue Velvet" volume pot
  • XLR and RCA inputs
  • Two gain settings, selectable by front-panel switch: 0 dB (unity); +12 dB (4x)
  • Integrated power supply compatible with the household mains voltages world-wide (80-264 VAC, 47-440 Hz)
All this results in a super clean sound and a listening experience that is completely free of listening fatigue.

You can find the full specifications for the HPA-1 along with a comprehensive set of measurement results on the HPA-1 product page: https://www.tomchr.com/products/hpa-1

Tom
www.tomchr.com

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2020, 01:01 pm »
Welcome Tom!  The HPA sure did sound great to me at the Florida show.  Look forward to your future offerings too.   :thumb:

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2020, 01:13 pm »
Welcome to AC Tom! It was a pleasure to meet you at the Florida Audio Expo last month and best of luck with your new product line.

tomchr

• Industry Participant
    • Tom Christiansen Audio
« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2020, 04:20 am »
It was great meeting you guys. It's always good to put a face to the email/user-ID.

Tom

tomchr

• Industry Participant
    • Tom Christiansen Audio
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2020, 04:18 am »
Note that an HPA-1 Update Thread was started before I started this thread. The thread starter has arranged a loaner tour for the HPA-1, and the listening impressions have started to roll in. You can find the latest here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166660.msg1787154#msg1787154

As I am not yet a sponsor of Audio Circle (though I hope to be invited to become one), I cannot respond to your questions in the Update Thread. I'm happy to answer your questions about the HPA-1 here, though.

Thanks,

Tom

tomchr

• Industry Participant
    • Tom Christiansen Audio

limits

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2020, 08:28 pm »
Welcome Tom!

I always enjoy, and often learn, from your posts on diyaudio. I look forward to following your new innovations. Not a headphone guy (even tho I find myself wearing some at the moment--gotta love the telework thing :duh:) but it looks great, and I'm sure sounds great, too.

Having found myself with waaay more freetime on my hands than a month ago, I would love to try your Purifi/Hypex buffer boards and some Purifi modules. Seems like a great solution.  :thumb:

Best;
limits

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2020, 08:50 pm »
  Welcome and the best of luck in your new venture.

charles

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2020, 05:25 am »
Hi, Tom.

My HPA-1 arrived a couple weeks ago....not a scratch on it. That's pretty amazing considering it traveled to five different guys' homes before arriving on my doorstep. [Thanks guys!]  :thumb:

My system is Mac Mini => dB Audio Labs Tranquility SE NOS DAC => HPA-1 => HD650s = WOW! Holy ____! This sounds amazing. I'm listening to music that I tend not to listen to on my 2-channel main system - and that system is no slouch. I spent a whole evening listening to Van Morrison. [I almost never listen to him on my speakers.] Tonight, I'm listening to Anne Bisson. She's inside my head and I love it.

This is a damned good amp. Thank you, Tom!

Stay well.

Michael

mocenigo

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2020, 09:38 am »
Welcome Tom!

I always enjoy, and often learn, from your posts on diyaudio. I look forward to following your new innovations. Not a headphone guy (even tho I find myself wearing some at the moment--gotta love the telework thing :duh:) but it looks great, and I'm sure sounds great, too.

Having found myself with waaay more freetime on my hands than a month ago, I would love to try your Purifi/Hypex buffer boards and some Purifi modules. Seems like a great solution.  :thumb:

Best;
limits

I can definitely recommend Tom's stuff on basis of what I have tried myself. The Universal Buffer sounds absolutely great, because it is one of the things I have that "sounds" less. It is most likely extremely transparent. The Purifi/Hypex input boards are in the same league, absolutely transparent while less "perfect" technically as a buffer (if you need even better measumements or a better drive capability) than the UB, but OTOH with a huge amount of flexibility to build your own solution. Disclaimer: I was Tom's tester, to verify whether the prototype boards actually worked with the Purifi boards.

I am so happy that I settled for my final build as follows: Neurochrome UB into two Neurochrome Adapter Boards with buffer bypassed and Hypex regulators on the daughter boards, this finally into the Purifi modules. This is as perfect as an amplifier can be today in my absolutely very confident, uninformed and nonscientific opinion ;-) Also the most silent thing I have ever had at home: I have very sensitive mid/high horns, and this combo also has the less hiss of anything I tried [1], barely at the audibility threshold with the head inside a horn. I could use them in near field listening or as headphones (!!!) during the night and it would be better than my headphones, no joking.

The lack of distortion of the combined amplifier might make you thing that the scene is a bit smaller than with an excellent tube amp. This is actually because the IMD is totally inaudible, and therefore it does not create an artificially induced separation with very complex signals (such as a tutti in a large orchestral recording). This is actually a mark of transparency, and I do enjoy it.

On the basis of this, I am also quite sure that his headamp is absolutely transparent and capable to drive (almost) anything with ease.

Roberto

[1] To be more precise: The Purifi boards with no buffers (the FE02 in the EVAL1 kit, or Neurochrome adapters, with bypassed buffers) are equally silent. Same for NC500 with no buffers. But these sound a bit weak - because of lack of impedance adapting. In my opinion these are not complete power amplifiers and therefore I do not include in the comparison.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2020, 11:21 am by mocenigo »

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2020, 09:54 am »
There's a fair amount of 'buzz' around this amp (the good kind).

Perhaps a logical next step would be a single-ended-only 'budget' version for those of us who don't really need balanced inputs.

Great start though. Simple, clean, no-nonsense design. Wish TCA success.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2020, 11:47 am »

Perhaps a logical next step would be a single-ended-only 'budget' version for those of us who don't really need balanced inputs.

Differential or single ended inputs are available through Tom’s buffer. All described on his website. And $149 for the buffer/ch is a bargain in my book. Especially since it can be configured with gain which really makes it much more than a buffer.

Best,
Anand.

Ah...sorry, I was answering the wrong question, since the thread changed a bit!

A cheaper headphone amp in the TCA line is would indeed be nice for SE enthusiasts.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2020, 06:33 pm by poseidonsvoice »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2020, 12:52 pm »
I think a good option for this if TCA isn't interested in an assembled product would either be a complete kit or even a list of parts including the case so that one could build it up.  Many can build but less can research and complete a safe and well engineered unit. 

WC

« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2020, 03:41 pm »

He does make a similar one. Just have to do a little soldering.

HP-2

tomchr

• Industry Participant
    • Tom Christiansen Audio
« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2020, 07:57 pm »

That's good to hear. I would appreciate it if you'd drop a link here when you come across a mention of the HPA-1.

Yeah. There are two logical ways from here:
  • Up: Larger chassis, 4-pin XLR output, more bells and whistles, even better performance.
  • Down: Lower cost, fewer features (maybe only one gain setting, definitely drop the differential input), still solid performance.

I do recognize that for many, $899 is a bit much for a first-time buy into a relatively unknown brand/company. It would be nice with a $399-499 product. Believe it or not, it is hard to get to that price point without giving up too much performance, but I have some ideas. Going up in price is easier. :)

Thank you.

Differential or single ended inputs are available through Tom’s buffer. All described on his website. And $149 for the buffer/ch is a bargain in my book. Especially since it can be configured with gain which really makes it much more than a buffer.

I think you're talking about two different things. dB Cooper is talking about the TCA HPA-1 headphone amp. I think you're onto my Neurochrome Universal Buffer (https://neurochrome.com/products/universal-buffer) and/or Neurochrome Purifi/Hypex Buffer (https://neurochrome.com/products/purifi-1et400a-hypex-nc500-input-buffer).

I think a good option for this if TCA isn't interested in an assembled product would either be a complete kit or even a list of parts including the case so that one could build it up.  Many can build but less can research and complete a safe and well engineered unit.

TCA is only interested in assembled products. No TCA product will ever be made available as a DIY product. They are designed from the ground up as retail (fully assembled, backed by warranty) products.

Many perceive DIY as cheap. As touched upon briefly above, I command premium prices for my premium products. I think that's fair... :) However, it's hard to command a premium price (or to be perceived as a premium brand) if you're perceived as cheap. This is one of the reasons I chose to start Tom Christiansen Audio (TCA).

I understand that it's hard to separate the two. After all, many perceive Neurochrome (my DIY brand/company) as "Tom Christiansen" (the person - me!). And part of my reason for going with the Tom Christiansen Audio name was to leverage some of that name recognition. Maybe I shot myself in the foot that way. Time will tell... :) I do want TCA to be a personable brand, though. Many seem to appreciate that they get to meet me directly at trade shows and such, and I intend to keep it that way.

This thread is about Tom Christiansen Audio, but allow me to veer off topic a bit with a brief summary of my DIY brand, Neurochrome. I hope this will highlight some of the differences between TCA and Neurochrome, thus reenforce my reason for keeping the two separate.

I started Neurochrome in 2010 while I was working full time at National Semiconductor as a circuit designer in their Precision Timing Group. I'd started working there only five years earlier, and spent the first three years of my career in their Precision Amplifiers Group designing precision opamps. The LMP2021 is one of mine. So I think it's fair to say that precision circuit design is my life, and precision audio circuits is my passion. Now, if I was better at marketing, I would write some sappy verbiage about how I carefully researched the market and found my niche and three months later was raking in seven figures, but my honesty seems to get in the way of that :). What actually happened was that I was working on a project for myself and needed some circuit boards. I can etch a board in my garage, but it's much nicer with a professionally made board. So I bought $100 worth of boards to get one for my own use. $100 seemed like a lot at the time. This was right after the 2008/9 real estate crash. Anyway, I decided to sell the rest of the boards. I opened up for preorders, and the first batch of boards sold before the boards even arrived from the manufacturer (note to self: charge more next time!)
After dinking around with vacuum tubes for a while, I decided to apply my precision circuit design skills to power amplifiers and headphone amplifiers. That's how the Neurochrome Modulus-86 power amp (https://neurochrome.com/products/modulus-86) and Neurochrome HP-1 headphone amp (now discontinued) came to be, and I have been pushing the performance envelope ever since.

I mentioned that DIY is perceived as cheap. And, indeed, if you look at many of my older threads on DIY Audio, for example, you'll find that Post #1 is my announcement of the circuit, and Posts #2-200 are people clamouring about how outrageous it is that I charge more than cost, and how they can buy a cheaper circuit on eBay. I have argued for years that quality and performance cost money. Also, for a business to be successful, it has to charge more than cost. That's what separates a business from a hobby.
It seems that I have been able to successfully drive a bit of a cultural shift in the DIY community. Many now recognize that the circuits from eBay aren't worth the money (even at their insanely low prices) and that quality is actually worth paying for. So my more recent threads might have a post or two where someone grumbles about the price, but for the most part people have come to terms with the fact, that if they want quality, they'll have to find a bit more loose change between the couch cushions.

I enjoy playing in the DIY market. It exposes me to a lot of engineering challenges, and many genuinely appreciate my efforts and help. However, the DIY market is quite small. Furthermore, to continue to push the performance envelope, I have to use the more modern parts. These parts are now only available in surface mounted packages. That's generally not too much of a problem as long as the pins of the part are all visible.
Problems arise when the parts include an exposed pad under it or when it doesn't have pins at all (see the LLP and QFN packages for example). The DIYers out there will cry, "Don't be such a wimp! It's easy. You just take a frying pan and ...." (seriously: Google "frying pan solder reflow"). Um. Yeah. That's not a production flow. The pros use a reflow oven. The oven my board house uses has 13 temperature zones in it. This to ensure that the proper reflow temperature profile is followed and that the board and/or parts are not damaged during reflow. Many of the overseas outfits use ovens with only three zones... I'll let you ponder how that might impact product quality and reliability. The pros also X-ray the board after to check for voiding in the solder on the pads they cannot visually inspect. The pros charge money for this (how outrageous!! :)).
Some argue, "just have that one part soldered professionally and let me solder the rest", but that doesn't really make sense. The startup cost of professional assembly would make such "one-part assemblies" insanely expensive. At that point, you might as well let the pros handle the assembly, which is what I have done on my more recent Neurochrome products, such as the Neurochrome Universal Buffer and Neurochrome Purifi/Hypex Buffer. Unfortunately, this upsets the more hardcore DIYers who want to build everything from scratch, but hopefully it opens some doors with others. Another major drawback of this approach is that to make the builds reasonably low cost, I have to order a significant quantity of boards. It's pretty common that I sink the value of a good used car into a board build. If the boards sell, great, but if not... Well. Damn. Thankfully, I've had more successes than failures so far.

Speaking of money. Some in the DIY circles have argued that because I run a business, thus charge more than cost, "I'm only in it for the money". If money was my main motivator, I would have stayed at Texas Instruments (which acquired National Semiconductor in 2012). Rather, I left to pursue a bachelor's degree in psychology (to pursue another passion and to complement my bachelor's and master's degrees in electrical engineering) in 2015. I have relied on Neurochrome as my only source of income since then. I took an 80% (yes, eighty percent) pay cut when I left TI. Thankfully, I have grown my business since then, but still... My lifetime income would have been some $350-400k higher to date had I stayed. I would have hated life, but I would have been richer... So, no. I'm not "in it for the money".
I am not looking to get rich and famous here, but I would like to make an engineering income so I might be able to retire (or at least reduce my hours worked) some day. I thoroughly enjoy the freedom and flexibility that comes with self-employment, and I'm willing to accept a lower income to keep that freedom and flexibility.

My goal with Tom Christiansen Audio is three-fold:
  • Push performance: Did I mention that precision audio is my passion? :) By designing for the retail market, I am no longer restricted to parts that can be hand-soldered. This means I get to push the performance to the max.
  • Larger serviceable market: The retail market is much, much bigger than the DIY market. By capturing even a small piece of it, I could potentially nudge myself closer to an engineering income.
  • Willingness to pay: In the retail market, there is a greater sense that a higher performance is worth paying for. Some rightfully will argue that you can find high-performance products at the various purchase clubs. However, I think many will find out (after repeated warranty repairs) that rock bottom prices means lower reliability. I hope to catch these folks on the rebound.

Now this is the part of the story where I tell you that I carefully researched the market, found my niche, and three months later was raking in seven figures (stop me if you've heard this already...) :). In full seriousness: I should probably sit down and write a business plan - even if in bullet points on a napkin. My first thoughts around TCA occurred after the Neurochrome HP-1 headphone amp took on a life of its own. Many started requesting that I delivered a finished product. Unfortunately, the Neurochrome HP-1 was a true Engineer's Amp. It was optimized 200% for performance without considering the assembly cost (it was a DIY project, remember). While it was a solid performer, it was ungodly expensive to produce, thus, not suited for mass production. Many also found the chassis "too DIY" (which it was). It was a good learning experience for me as it opened my eyes to the demands of the retail market (spoiler: It turns out that performance is not everything, the product has to look and feel good too).

With the TCA HPA-1, I set out to reproduce the performance of the Neurochrome HP-1 at a price point that would allow for mass production, and offer the features and the look and feel expected of a retail product. This involved a complete redesign of the circuit. Thinking about it, I think only a small piece of the protection circuit is common between the Neurochrome HP-1 and the TCA HPA-1. I did have to give a little on the output power (the HP-1 provided 3 W, whereas the HPA-1 provides 1.25 W into 32 Ω), but that was about it. The TCA HPA-1 is $899. The Neurochrome HP-1, fully assembled, was $1250. I think the slightly lower output power was a worthwhile tradeoff. That also gives me some room to grow when I move up the price ladder.

I can't read into what the future will bring. In particular not these days. I fully plan to keep both Neurochrome and Tom Christiansen Audio going for quite a while to come. However, once TCA takes flight, there might come a time when it will make sense to start winding down (or selling off) Neurochrome. But I'm getting way ahead of myself here. I do feel like I'm approaching the end of the DIY roadmap pretty quickly here. At some point revenue will start to decline. Business cycles... We'll see. For now, it's one year at a time here...

Anyway. That was probably the most longwinded "short summary" I've written in a while. :)

If you would like to experience the TCA HPA-1 in person, you will have the opportunity to do so this fall. I will be at RMAF in Denver in October. I plan to visit CanJam in Chicago the weekend after RMAF as well. Assuming the current pandemic situation will allow for such activities, that is.
You're also welcome to swing by in Calgary. And I have an amp sitting with Lawrence & Scott in Seattle (https://www.lawrenceandscott.com/the-good-life/) for demo.

Tom

tomchr

• Industry Participant
    • Tom Christiansen Audio
« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2020, 08:00 pm »
My HPA-1 arrived a couple weeks ago....not a scratch on it. That's pretty amazing considering it traveled to five different guys' homes before arriving on my doorstep. [Thanks guys!]  :thumb:

I did make sure to design the packaging such that the amp would survive. Good to hear that panned out well.

My system is Mac Mini => dB Audio Labs Tranquility SE NOS DAC => HPA-1 => HD650s = WOW! Holy ____! This sounds amazing. I'm listening to music that I tend not to listen to on my 2-channel main system - and that system is no slouch. I spent a whole evening listening to Van Morrison. [I almost never listen to him on my speakers.] Tonight, I'm listening to Anne Bisson. She's inside my head and I love it.

This is a damned good amp. Thank you, Tom!

That's awesome. Thanks. I'm glad you like the amp.

Tom

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 11 Apr 2020, 02:11 am »
Thanks for the short reply.   ;)

Any chance for a Neurochrome or TCA guitar amp that can be mounted in one of the many Tweed Cabinet? 

tomchr

• Industry Participant
    • Tom Christiansen Audio
« Reply #18 on: 11 Apr 2020, 03:16 am »
They say, "never say never", but I highly doubt I'll make instrument amps. So much of that market is about achieving a certain tonality, and often the tonality of a decades old amp. That's just not something I do - at least not at the moment.

If I was to drift in that direction, I'd probably try to get into the mastering and recording side of things. Think mixers and high-end headphone amps.

One thing about recording engineers and studio managers is that they understand specs and value.

Tom

tomchr

• Industry Participant
    • Tom Christiansen Audio
« Reply #19 on: 8 Jun 2020, 10:47 pm »
I am now able to offer discounted shipping via FedEx, UPS, and DHL in addition to shipping by Canada Post. FedEx/UPS/DHL all operate normally, or with maybe one day delay. Canada Post (and the various other postal services) are running a bit slower these days. Packages are getting through, just at a slower-than-normal pace.

Tom