What LPs have you listened to recently?

Jlappy

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #3580 on: 31 Dec 2011, 12:44 am »
Yes, Jim's right no Hawkwind and I just bought a 2 CD set of Gong my 1st intro to that band   :o

Bill

Cool!  I hope it has Steve Hillage on guitar.  Let me know what you think about the Gong!

Cheers,  Jim

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #3581 on: 31 Dec 2011, 12:59 am »
Sonny Stitt - Constellation

Sonny Stitt - alto & tenor
Barry Harris - piano
Sam Jones - bass
Roy Brooks - drums
1972 Muse 5323

This is a great record, one of Stitts best IMO. Stitt played primarily alto. Before he died, Charlie Parker named Stitt keeper of the flame.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3582 on: 31 Dec 2011, 01:09 am »

180g Mono :thumb:

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #3583 on: 31 Dec 2011, 01:34 am »
Masters Of Reality   (1988)

To Kill The King  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEUxMH4KalM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Reality

I will continue with "Masters Of Reality" but on CD since to the best of my
knowledge this is the only album available on vinyl

J.B. Witchdance from "Sunrise On The Sufferbus"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9qKjjplV5g

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3584 on: 31 Dec 2011, 02:30 am »

Still my favorite album by one of my 5 favorite groups of all time.

Listening to the Airplane got me in the mood for this

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3585 on: 31 Dec 2011, 03:23 am »

From the 5 LP box set, which is just terrific BTW.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3586 on: 31 Dec 2011, 04:16 am »

From the 5 LP Box Set

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3587 on: 31 Dec 2011, 05:10 am »

Still my favorite album by one of my 5 favorite groups of all time.

Listening to the Airplane got me in the mood for this

Laura, t'was YOU who turned me on to the Airplane's Woodstock Experience (RCA/Legacy) and that music is indelibly burned into my senses from the day along with David Crosby's end of the sixties album (which has rich and full bodied sound from Classic Records) with Kaukonen, Garcia, Casady, Lesh, Kantner and most of the West Coast 60's lluminaries from the day to include a couple of turned on Canadians.  I know you know.  There weren't any East Coast lluminaries from the period unless you consider Laura Nyro.  "Ina gadda da vida, baby, you know that I luv u"?  You have GOT to be shitting me is what I know.  But, later came J Giels and the mid-west had Bishop and Butterfield and Bloomfield.  And, of course, there was England.  New York was dumb as an egg until the 80's, with the exception of one Bob Dylan, or do you disagree?  That's a rhetorical question that's really meant for Lonewolfny.  Chris, were you really head bangin to Iron Butterfly :rock:?  Ever see that Penelope Spheeris doc about hair bands in LA?  That is so sad.  Anyway, we can blame Reagan and Nixon, before him, for California's artistic collapse, if you know what I mean, and a lot worse.  And seein's how you work for our government, I use the word 'our' euphemistically with a sad heart, spike their frickin coffee!  I know you're doin somebody some good and I'm quite sure I appreciate it.  Love you, lady.  Neil Young rules! 
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2011, 06:38 pm by jimdgoulding »

Jlappy

« Reply #3588 on: 31 Dec 2011, 07:25 am »
spin lots of lps for my sisters this evening, and late requests were:

Elton John – Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Elton John – Madman Across The Water

This was my request and currently spinning

McDonald And Giles – McDonald And Giles

pumpkinman

« Reply #3589 on: 31 Dec 2011, 02:01 pm »
Sammy Johns

Off soon to DD's Have a safe weekend............Bill

pumpkinman

« Reply #3590 on: 31 Dec 2011, 02:47 pm »
Tim Curry ~ Read My Lips

White label promo (Paul loves promos)   :D

Sweet Sweet Transvestite

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #3591 on: 31 Dec 2011, 05:38 pm »

Takes me back to High School.  :dance:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3592 on: 31 Dec 2011, 07:13 pm »
Laura, t'was YOU who turned me on to the Airplane's Woodstock Experience (RCA/Legacy) and that music is indelibly burned into my senses from the day along with David Crosby's end of the sixties album (which has rich and full bodied sound from Classic Records) with Kaukonen, Garcia, Casady, Lesh, Kantner and most of the West Coast 60's lluminaries from the day to include a couple of turned on Canadians.  I know you know.  There weren't any from the East Coast unless you consider Laura Nyro.  "Ina gadda da vida, baby, you know that I luv u"?  You have GOT to be shitting me, is what I know.  But, later came J Giels and the mid-west had Bishop and Butterfield and Bloomfield.  And, of course, there was England.  New York was dumb as an egg until the 80's, with the exception of one Bob Dylan, or do you disagree?  That's a rhetorical question that's really meant for Lonewolfny.  Chris, were you really head bangin to Iron Butterfly?  Ever see that Penelope Spheeris doc about hair bands in LA?  That is so sad.  Anyway, we can blame Reagan and Nixon, before him, for California's artistic collapse, if you know what I mean, and a lot worse.  And seein's how you work for our government, I use the word 'our' euphemistically with a sad heart, spike their frickin coffee!  I know you're doin somebody some good and I'm quite sure I appreciate it.  Love you, lady.  Neil Young rules!

Jim my man, first Happy New Year to you! As I think you know or have surmised, he Airplane (Starship) are one of my 5 all time favorite groups, especially the 60's Airplane. Great stuff. Kantner, Slick, Cassidy, Kaukonen, Balin & Dryden. The creative juices were flowing on the west coast in the 60's & 70's. I listened to Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name the other night. As you mentioned, an amazing lline up of musicians on that record. I grew up in Denver and the music scene was heavily influenced by Califronia, Texas and then England. It wasn't until I got to college in Missouri that I started to pick up on some of the midwestern bands/artists and east coast was after that (I've discovered a lot of east coast bands from posts by fellow ACers). Of course, the Hibbing MN poet laureate was everywhere. Never saw the documentary and never got into many hair bands. Seattle and now Portland seem to be where it's at for artistic creativity on the west coast. BTW, I don't work for the government, I lobby the government for common sense policies on behalf of the industry that is at the beginning of the supply chain for virtually everything we have and use. It's amazing how clueless congress and the administration as a whole are when it comes to harvesting and using our natural resources. And yes, Neil Young Rules!

Cheers

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3593 on: 31 Dec 2011, 08:53 pm »
Thanks for your reply, Laura, and straightening me out about the work you do.  As Jack Abramoff said on Cspan the other night in front of a tough crowd of Harvard professors, Congressmen and women are mostly just talking heads.  It's their aids that do all the work and know what's what.  Their bosses are too busy working on their image and getting all the bennies.  You know some guys like that?  Or, should I say, you know any who aren't like that?

orthobiz

« Reply #3594 on: 1 Jan 2012, 12:46 am »

From the 5 LP Box Set

My fave...

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #3595 on: 1 Jan 2012, 01:49 am »
Keith Sykes ~ The Way That I Feel (1977) 

I know nothing about this LP it started out at $5 then to $3 and finally my favorite number $1
For what it's worth AMG gives it a 4.5 stars

I'm in for a quiet evening.................Bill

Well it's about an hour later. It's a singer songwiter album that I found really enjoyable.
The SQ was very good compared to some 70's LPs I listened to.
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2012, 02:55 am by pumpkinman »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3596 on: 1 Jan 2012, 02:58 am »
Jim, I do know some Members on both sides of the aisle who are not like Abramoff described; they are sincere and hard working. One of the most frustrating parts of my job is the average age of congressional staff in the House is mid to late 20's and most are clueless about what makes the world go round, especially the private sector. That being said, I have worked with some great, dedicated staff over the past 31 years. Now, back to the music.

An eclectic mix today

A Christmas present from my youngest daughter and her husband. My other daughter game me a gift certificate to Music Direct. :thumb:

pumpkinman

« Reply #3597 on: 1 Jan 2012, 03:24 am »
Atmospheres featuring Clive Stevens & Friends

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3598 on: 1 Jan 2012, 04:52 am »
After mi lady and I toast in the New Year, think I'll give a listen to Captain Beefheart's Shiny Beast (WB) seein's how the Beefster seems to be enjoying a bit of a renaissance here on AC, and then some Scandanavian jazzy things.  Best wishes for the New Year everyone and here's hoping you manage what you can to better ends in 2012.

pumpkinman

« Reply #3599 on: 1 Jan 2012, 02:56 pm »
The Zombies ~ Live on the BBC 1965-1968

Going for a walk with Mrs. P. When I get back I'll spin this for Dean (AVnerdguy)
fellow Zombie fan