DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core

roscoeiii

Re: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core
« Reply #20 on: 20 Nov 2016, 10:14 pm »
Yeah Walter is great to work with. Give him a ring.

bertdw

« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2016, 01:12 am »
Thank you both for your advice.  I'm afraid I called The Cable Company first, and after talking to Ethan decided to place my order. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #22 on: 22 Nov 2016, 01:17 am »
Cable company is great too

thyname

« Reply #23 on: 21 Aug 2017, 04:56 pm »

The Dspeaker 8033 unit is designed only to be used on a sub woofer. I have one for my HT sub and the results are fantastic. The Dspeaker Antimode Dual Core 2.0 can be used with a ($2000.00) superior dac by way of 2 methods:

1) Pure Digital...Take the optical out or USB out from a source and place them into the Dual Core 2.0 then use the optical out to your dac. All corrections are done in the digital domain and the corrected signal will be sent to your Dac.  Source Digital - Dual Core2.0 - Dac - Preamp/Integrated Amp or Amp

2) Analog... Dac Analog out to Dual Core2.0 to Preamp/Intgrated Amp or Amp. The analog signal goes through an A/D stage for corrections to be done and then a D/A for output. The A/D in the Dual Core is very transparent and many users have reported no difference in sound quality.

Chris

Hi Chris,

For #2 above, on a 2.2 channel setup (two speakers and two subs), would the speakers get full range signal, and the (low pass) crossover set on the subwoofers?

Thanks!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 21 Aug 2017, 05:54 pm »
Both analog outputs are full range (I've used both).

From above, note that the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core limits DSP to a 500 Hz upper limit.

thyname

« Reply #25 on: 22 Aug 2017, 01:47 pm »
Both analog outputs are full range (I've used both).

From above, note that the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core limits DSP to a 500 Hz upper limit.

Thanks!

Yep, I understand the 500 Hz upper limit.

However, just wanted to clarify that using all analog connections (Preamp to Anti-Mode via XLR, then Anti-Mode to Amp analog via XLR for speakers, finally Anti-Mode RCA to two subwoofers) I would be able to room correct and EQ / DSP both speakers and subwoofers? That is up to 500 Hz of course.

Thanks!

Escott1377

« Reply #26 on: 22 Aug 2017, 06:17 pm »
Your example will work.

I happen to have my box under my work desk and the only caveat is you are unable to use the XLR input and RCA input at the same time.

I run XLR out to my amps and RCA out to my subs.

And I run my room correction all the way up to 500 Hz.

thyname

« Reply #27 on: 23 Aug 2017, 09:31 pm »
OK, I ordered myself one.

Plan to use it for room correction only with my existing preamp (Rotel RC-1590).

Amp is Rotel RB-1590. Dual PSA S1500 subwoofers.

I read some reviews, and the initial setup is a bit confusing. Do I just connect it as it will permanently stay (Preamp Analog XLR Out ---> Anti-Mode 2.0 Analog XLR Inputs --->Amp XLR Inputs Analog plus RCA outputs to Subwoofers) and run the test from there? A read a review that said to connect it to the preamp first.

Thanks!

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #28 on: 23 Aug 2017, 11:19 pm »
I also use one of these.  Now I only use it on my subs.  It may improve the full range sound, but I just feel stupid running a nice tube amp through it.  So I am a purist on my full range and  a DSP user on the subs.  The remote makes it really easy to switch the subs in and out or take the processing away with the touch of a button.  After several years with this thing, there is no question that it improves the bass quality.

thyname

« Reply #29 on: 24 Aug 2017, 04:38 pm »
I also use one of these.  Now I only use it on my subs.  It may improve the full range sound, but I just feel stupid running a nice tube amp through it.  So I am a purist on my full range and  a DSP user on the subs.  The remote makes it really easy to switch the subs in and out or take the processing away with the touch of a button.  After several years with this thing, there is no question that it improves the bass quality.

Great to hear!

Anyone who does use the Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0 to correct an entire 2.2 system with existing preamp? Would my connection example above apply?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #30 on: 24 Aug 2017, 05:21 pm »
If 'tween pre and amp - analog in on Anti-mode - then with either  or both XLR and RCA out to amps.  One of the RCA'a out on mine has a short so I use XLR out to subs using separate XLR to RCA converter.

thyname

« Reply #31 on: 24 Aug 2017, 05:29 pm »
If 'tween pre and amp - analog in on Anti-mode - then with either  or both XLR and RCA out to amps.  One of the RCA'a out on mine has a short so I use XLR out to subs using separate XLR to RCA converter.

Thanks! I plan to use the XRL outputs out from Anti-Mode to the Amp, then RCA outs to the two subs.

The question is: do I set it up this way before I ran the calibration / test tones?

Here is the diagram i'm referring to:

Using Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core to correct a 2.1 or 2.2 system

You can use the Measurement tool within Anti-Mode 2.0DC to adjust the optimal level, cross-over and phase of the subwoofer(s). Note: in this setup the cross-over of the subwoofer must be used instead of ones in Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core.

Source(s) -> Anti-Mode 2.0DC inputs (USB,S/PDIF,Analog), Anti-Mode 2.0DC analog XLR out -> power amplifiers/active speakers, Anti-Mode 2.0DC analog RCA out -> active subwoofer(s)

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #32 on: 24 Aug 2017, 05:40 pm »
Yes, use the calibration mode with everything hooked up as you want to hear it.

JakeJ

« Reply #33 on: 24 Aug 2017, 05:45 pm »
Dumb question, s/pdif is optical, correct?  I do not see a coax type (RCA) connector on the back.

TIA,
Jake

Nevermind, found my answer on the DSPeaker website.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2017, 06:53 pm by JakeJ »

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #34 on: 24 Aug 2017, 06:11 pm »
I don't remember and unit is so tucked into shelf that I don't want to move it.  If that is all you see, then use it.

Escott1377

« Reply #35 on: 25 Aug 2017, 02:07 pm »
The DSpeaker is really easy to use.  I have never used any of the higher level "custom" set-ups, but plug everything up and then run the set up.

It will run your test tones and auto calibrate.

When I bought mine, it was recommended to use a linear power supply instead of the standard wall wart.

I bought an Alstron unit for about $125.

thyname

« Reply #36 on: 25 Aug 2017, 02:16 pm »

When I bought mine, it was recommended to use a linear power supply instead of the standard wall wart.

I bought an Alstron unit for about $125.

Linear power supply is recommended even if used as simply a room correction tool (NOT using its DAC, but using a preamp / DAC instead)?

In other words, is the LPS recommended if put between a preamp and an amp?

Escott1377

« Reply #37 on: 25 Aug 2017, 02:48 pm »
I was told that it will work with the standard wall wart, but to make it perform its best, use the linear power supply.

Underwood Hi Fi offers an alternate power solution as well which leads me to believe there may be better performance achieved above the wall wart.

Mine is only used as a DSP - no source components run thru it.

thyname

« Reply #38 on: 26 Aug 2017, 11:17 am »
Got mine yesterday. First impressions are positive. I like what it produces, although it will take while to get used to. There are certain areas of the sound that are different than what I am used to without correction.

Did the advanced correction extended to 500 HZ .

One thing I can't seem to figure out is which volume control to use, AM DC 2.0 or at my Preamp?

I have all in Analog:

Preamp (Rotel RC-1590) to Anti-Mode via XLR. Then XLR out on AM to Amp (Rotel RB-1590), and RCA out on AM to subwoofers (dual PSA S1500s)

From the connection diagram on the website, it looks like speakers are getting full signal, and crossovers adjusted on the subs.

A couple of other questions:

1 - Where to I buy a USB A to Mini B cable? I would like to try the anti-mode as DAC / Preamp, so that I can also test its crossover capabilities on the speakers AND subs.

2 - Can you recommend a 12 volt linear power supply? I love LPS-1 from Uptone (I have three of them in my systems), but they don't do 12 volts.

Thanks!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #39 on: 26 Aug 2017, 12:31 pm »
I bought a $329 power supply from Channel Island Audio, but in a fit of simplifying sold it (improvements were very subtle in my system).  Reportedly the DSPeaker switching power supply is quite good.  Note that Benchmark purposely avoids using linear power supplies.  Note also that the DSPeaker uses a 2.1 mm power supply connector and many add on power supplies use 2.5 mm connectors, so an adapter may be needed.

I bought a super cheap USB B to USB mini B adapter from Monoprice (my go to for cheap/quality, what they call premium, cabling solutions) to go with my 10ft long USB cable, but the DSPeaker should have come with a short/cheap USB A to USB mini B cable.

I use my DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core for USB and optical inputs for up to 250 Hz DSP, DAC, and preamp.