***SOLD*** FS: Origin Live Onyx tonearm

sunnydaze

***SOLD*** FS: Origin Live Onyx tonearm
« on: 30 Jan 2020, 05:38 pm »
Current version of OL Onyx tonearm that I bought used a few months ago for a project I have now abandoned.  I mean seriously....does anyone really need 3 turntables?      :scratch:    :lol:

Original owner used it lightly for 4 months.  I never mounted it, just removed it from the box to inspect for completeness.  The condition is perfect.  It includes orig. mfr box, manual, and everything that came to me.

This arm is highly reviewed and is reported to compete at higher price points.  Some guys even say it beats earlier versions of the Silver model, which received exalted praise in its day.  Much better than comparably priced Regas.

I currently own (and love) two OL arms:  Silver and Encounter.  They more than hold their own against other fine arms I have owned:  Kuzma, SME, Linn, Graham, Hadcock, Jelco, Moerch.

MSRP is $650.  Asking $450 including insured shipping to CONUS.  Add 3% if PP friends / gift not used.

Details and reviews:

https://www.originlive.com/hi-fi/tonearm/entry-level-tonearm-onyx/

« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2020, 05:06 am by sunnydaze »

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: FS: Origin Live Onyx tonearm
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2020, 01:15 pm »
Sent you a pm.

sunnydaze

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2020, 01:31 pm »

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2020, 05:39 pm »
Is this the 9" arm with a 211mm P-T-C mounting distance?

I'm interested.

- Woody

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2020, 09:14 pm »
No, it's standard Rega geometry:  222mm mount distance and 239mm effective length.
(technically, it's 9.5 inches)

See complete specs here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FBAKj4LfACVkoAokEkS_AefaZc2LYb8dvFiCEMXp3ik/edit#gid=913112794

Happy to answer any more questions.

Ictwoody

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2020, 09:42 pm »
Okay. Thanks for the reply. I would need one to match Linn geometry... their 9" one for the deck I would put it on. So I'm out at this time. Thanks again and GLWTS!

- Woody

No, it's standard Rega geometry:  222mm mount distance and 239mm effective length.
(technically, it's 9.5 inches)

See complete specs here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FBAKj4LfACVkoAokEkS_AefaZc2LYb8dvFiCEMXp3ik/edit#gid=913112794

Happy to answer any more questions.

sunnydaze

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2020, 12:42 am »
Regas and it's variants (Michell, Origin Live, Audiomods,etc) are so common that arm boards are usually pretty easy to source.

What is your table?

For my Townshend Rock and Scheu / Eurolab tables I make my own boards.  And I have no shop or fancy tools, just hand tools.  But it all depends on how the arm goes on the table.  Plates / boards for these tables simply screw onto the plinth so it's not that difficult. 

For the Rock I simply bought some pre-cut quarter inch thick acrylic rectangles on EBay, same as the what came on the table.  Then just carefully measure mount distance and drill holes for arm and plinth mounting. 

For the Scheu the stock plate is a thick 20 mm acrylic circle which I could not source anywhere in the exact diameter.....apart from dealers at rip off prices.   :roll:   So I just bought some bamboo cutting boards of the same thickness and made what I needed.  Bit more work than simply drilling holes on the Rock's rectangular and thinner acrylic, but a jigsaw, palm sander and drill is all that's needed.

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2020, 12:50 am »
If you gotta have exact Linn geometry and mounting holes,  I highly recommend Kuzma arms.   They drop right into the Linn 3 point mounting system.

I owned Stogi Reference and Stogi "S" models, and a local buddy owned regular Stogi. Great arms, would own one again in a heartbeat.  Kindof rare on used markets here in North America, good luck finding one.

Ictwoody

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2020, 06:00 am »
It’s actually a highly modded Empire 298. So no arm boards. Currently have a Jelco SA-250ST and I’d like to have something a bit nicer. But pivot to center is 210. So give or take a couple mil. I’ll look into the Kuzma arms.

- Woody

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2020, 07:29 am »
Pro-ject 9 and 9cc arms are also 212 mm mount distance and use the exact Linn bolt mounting pattern.

I've seen these guys super cheap on the used markets, but I have no idea how they stack up to your Jelco.

I can say I found my 750E to be a real overachiever, especially when paired with a simpatico cartridge like Denon 103R.

sunnydaze

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2020, 07:45 am »
I forgot to mention....

Not only are used Kuzmas rare but they are also quite pricey.  Multiples of Jelco, Linn, Pro-ject, etc. prices.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.....
who wants to buy my arm?       :lol:

sunnydaze

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2020, 03:39 pm »
bump

sunnydaze

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2020, 06:38 pm »
bump

sunnydaze

Re: ***SOLD*** FS: Origin Live Onyx tonearm
« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2020, 05:07 am »