A Bryston DAC with Volume Control?

Nordkapp

A Bryston DAC with Volume Control?
« on: 11 Jun 2018, 11:48 am »
I was just wondering if anyone else yearns for such a product. I'd be first in line for it.  :popcorn:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: A Bryston DAC with Volume Control?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2018, 11:54 am »
Plenty of DAC/preamp options out there, but Bryston customers seem to like showing off lots of gear and many higher end companies hate combining any components, so good luck with your wish.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2018, 12:23 pm »
Hi

How about a BDA-3 DAC with a volume control and maybe 2 analog inputs for those folks with a Turntable?

james

Nordkapp

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2018, 12:28 pm »
Hi

How about a BDA-3 DAC with a volume control and maybe 2 analog inputs for those folks with a Turntable?

james
Yes!!! I'm begging you James!

adol290

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2018, 02:48 pm »
Hi

james

Maybe on the BDA-4 ?

Along with filter selection ?

DSD 512 ?

And how about for Nov 2018 ?
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2018, 06:34 pm by adol290 »

Bones13

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2018, 03:14 pm »
Really looking for something like this. I want to simplify my system, just too many parts. A BDA-4, with a decent pre-amp function, especially if the HDMI board could be upgraded for 4K HDR throughout, would be my wishlist. An optional network streamer board would be a bonus.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2018, 05:40 pm »
Really looking for something like this. I want to simplify my system, just too many parts. A BDA-4, with a decent pre-amp function, especially if the HDMI board could be upgraded for 4K HDR throughout, would be my wishlist. An optional network streamer board would be a bonus.

Hi

I do not think we would have HDMI as that is more a video function.

James

zoom25

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2018, 06:41 pm »
I've been pushing for this as well!

James, would something like this be the same as the previously discussed BDA-3+BP26 combo with options for crossovers, or something slightly different?

I think a simpler version of a BDA-3 with volume control via remote control would do quite well. Analog input(s) would be appreciated, but wouldn't be absolutely required. Something along the lines of a Benchmark DAC3 or Emotiva DC-1. Multiple digital inputs, analog inputs, volume control, and remote control.  A Bryston version of that and I'd definitely be interested provided that it can sound just as good as the separate pairings.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2018, 07:19 pm »
I've been pushing for this as well!

James, would something like this be the same as the previously discussed BDA-3+BP26 combo with options for crossovers, or something slightly different?

I think a simpler version of a BDA-3 with volume control via remote control would do quite well. Analog input(s) would be appreciated, but wouldn't be absolutely required. Something along the lines of a Benchmark DAC3 or Emotiva DC-1. Multiple digital inputs, analog inputs, volume control, and remote control.  A Bryston version of that and I'd definitely be interested provided that it can sound just as good as the separate pairings.

Hi

Yes I was thinking something along the lines of the BP 26 and BDA-3 combined would be a nice addition and keep the price down relative to a more pricy unit that would allow for a Phono Stage internal and the active crossover for our speakers internal.

No HDMI but maybe a really sophisticated Headphone amp as an option.

james

Calypte

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2018, 08:41 pm »
In a general way this touches on something I've been thinking about.  I went to a hi-end audio show in L.A. a year ago this month, and almost all of the audition rooms were using music servers.  Those that weren't using turntables, that is.  I don't think I saw a CD player anywhere.  I was very impressed when the hosts would cue up music selections on a tablet.  My personal response was to buy a Bryston BDP-pi early this year.  I can operate it from an Android cell phone.  But why can't I operate the preamp that way?  Mine (Emotiva) has a digital panel display, but I can't see the numbers across the room.  I don't see that Bryston's preamps are any better in this respect, acknowledging that maybe I've missed something.  Why doesn't somebody make a preamp that connects to a network, so it the input selection and volume can be operated via a cell phone or tablet? 

zoom25

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2018, 08:51 pm »
Hi

Yes I was thinking something along the lines of the BP 26 and BDA-3 combined would be a nice addition and keep the price down relative to a more pricy unit that would allow for a Phono Stage internal and the active crossover for our speakers internal.

james

Yes a slightly more expensive BDA-3 with those capabilities will do great! HDMI, while great, isn't really needed if it's going to increase cost due to licensing or what not. Most consumer AV devices that I have output HDMI and optical. Coax is practically gone. If there are multiple optical, then I suppose people can connect those AV directly to the DAC. However, most people, including myself when it comes to AV and convenience for the family prefer to have HDMI from all these AV devices go to the TV directly and then take the optical out from the TV to the DAC. This way you don't need to change inputs when watching different source or have to remember which is which. My family appreciates it more, so I've left it that way with my Emotiva DC-1.

If there is going to be an option for a serious headphone amp in there, that would be most welcome. That actually might be exactly what I need and could replace my Dangerous Source. A DAC, analog inputs, remote volume control, headphone amp...that could be a HIT!

Is this headphone amp going to be on the same level as BHA-1 or lower or perhaps something even better or new (maybe stuff from the BP17)?  :popcorn:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2018, 09:11 pm »
I tend to agree with JLM.
Until someone (preferably moi  :lol:  :green:) demonstrates that an all-in-one sounds better than separates, I'm out on this one. Convenience and budgetary sanity are fine, but it doesn't supersede purity, transparency, and accuracy, imho.

This is Bryston. Not Bose.  :green:

cheers

zoom25

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2018, 09:42 pm »
I've often seen the case made for integrated over separates for SQ reasons because it's all in one box and so you maintain high signal integrity and short signal paths. Although, I'm not sure how much you might be losing/gaining by having things in other boxes in one department or other. Ultimately, it does come down to SQ with these expensive units. If they can get it done in one box, then great. If not, then separates it will be. I don't think it's good to have a mindset that integrated or separates will necessarily deliver better than the other. Similar arguments used to be made for Class D.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2018, 10:47 pm »
^ Points taken.

With separates, one can tweak individual components and easily gauge (hear) and trace the root source of the effects. With an all-in-one, it's more "efficient" to tweak (I think), but may be difficult to determine what circuit(s) caused the change in SQ after a tweak. Still, will be interesting to see what comes out of this. Dreaming is free of charge.  8)

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2018, 10:58 pm »
deleted

john1970

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2018, 12:16 am »
Hi

I do not think we would have HDMI as that is more a video function.

James

James,

I really enjoy being able to decode DSD from SACD through my HDMI inputs on the BDA3.  It would be great if that could be kept as a feature on future models as well.  Just my thoughts.

With that being said a BDA3 with an analog volume control would replace my BDA3, BP26, MPS2 setup.  Would you also consider an external power supply?

Best,

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2018, 01:03 am »
James,

I really enjoy being able to decode DSD from SACD through my HDMI inputs on the BDA3.  It would be great if that could be kept as a feature on future models as well.  Just my thoughts.

With that being said a BDA3 with an analog volume control would replace my BDA3, BP26, MPS2 setup.  Would you also consider an external power supply?

Best,

John

Hi John

Yes the HDMI is a nice feature for DSD but it adds a lot of cost. This new preamp would be more scaled down.  The next all out preamp could include the HDMI.

James

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #17 on: 12 Jun 2018, 03:47 am »
... but maybe a really sophisticated Headphone amp as an option.

Well you've caught my eye with this... something akin to a mini BHA perhaps?

Grant Hill

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2018, 07:04 am »
Hi John

Yes the HDMI is a nice feature for DSD but it adds a lot of cost. This new preamp would be more scaled down.  The next all out preamp could include the HDMI.

James

Well If I'm not wrong in 2020 the sacd's sony patent will expire… so, will it be possible to stream dsd via AES or Coax? or to add sacd drives without paying royalties anymore...

TJ-Sully

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2018, 11:31 pm »
Hi

james

Hi JT

In consideration of combining the preamp/DAC into a single unit (i love the idea) - would it be cost-additive to include the BP17-3 specs rather than the BP26?

Also, any thoughts on an active speaker system with all the electronics (amps, external crossover, preamp, DAC, streamer (player) ALL included within the speakers?

just plug the speakers into the wall (or BIT20), turn on the iPad and you're rocking and rolling!
i know this limits the flexibility of mixing and matching, and tinkering options for audiophiles - but it might appeal to the bryston community, and add some WAF to the scenario....perhaps...?

just a thought.

cheers
T