BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

zoom25

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1440 on: 10 May 2019, 07:28 pm »
Is there a limit on the size of a singular or multiple NAS drive ('X' TB?) that the BDP-1 can read and add? I have the Bryston database disabled. I am only asking if there's a limit on how many files/folders can be added to Manic Moose's sidebar folder view. Thanks!

^ Anyone? Will there be a problem with say a 6TB or 8TB, maybe 10TB?

docder

« Reply #1441 on: 10 May 2019, 08:16 pm »

The side bar is only a data base, a list, so it is not a matter of if the scratch disk is large enough to hold the data base listing? I have an internal 2 TB SSD that is used as scratch disc and for music file storage. I must have 4 or 5 TB from all attached storage [included a NAS] referenced in the DB, with a few hundred albums storage on the SSD itself, and the used capacity is only a few percent. 

zoom25

« Reply #1442 on: 10 May 2019, 09:04 pm »
The side bar is only a data base, a list, so it is not a matter of if the scratch disk is large enough to hold the data base listing? I have an internal 2 TB SSD that is used as scratch disc and for music file storage. I must have 4 or 5 TB from all attached storage [included a NAS] referenced in the DB, with a few hundred albums storage on the SSD itself, and the used capacity is only a few percent.

The internal would indicate a BDP-2/3, right? Their limitations should be higher than the BDP-1.

Yeah, I just wanted to get a confirmation for my peace of mind that it was fine with a BDP-1.

docder

« Reply #1443 on: 10 May 2019, 10:21 pm »
I've only had the BPD-3 a few weeks, before that a BDP-1 on which I used flash drives [32/64GB] as scratch discs for the database including a NAS of 4GB. The NAS loaded to the database but I didn't really make use of it as the NAS was only in the DB for a few weeks before I moved to the BDP-3.
More advice from others needed, I think. It has been very quiet here on the Bryston forum of late.

zoom25

« Reply #1444 on: 11 May 2019, 03:53 am »
Yeah, I'm hoping James or Chris will give provide some advice before I start doing things.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1445 on: 11 May 2019, 10:16 am »
Yeah, I'm hoping James or Chris will give provide some advice before I start doing things.

Hi Zoom

I do not think it will be a problem but I will check with Chris Rice.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1446 on: 11 May 2019, 11:39 am »

There is no limitation relative to drive size, the limitation is relative to the number of tracks.  The BDP-1 with the bryston dB disabled is about 100,000 tracks, but becomes more difficult and it’s reaction time slows at around 50,000 tracks (I think, it’s been awhile since I’ve been asked this question and my BDP-1 is connected to a library of 7,000 songs + TIDAL and QOBUZ).  Hope this helps.

Chris

zoom25

« Reply #1447 on: 11 May 2019, 06:11 pm »
There is no limitation relative to drive size, the limitation is relative to the number of tracks.  The BDP-1 with the bryston dB disabled is about 100,000 tracks, but becomes more difficult and it’s reaction time slows at around 50,000 tracks (I think, it’s been awhile since I’ve been asked this question and my BDP-1 is connected to a library of 7,000 songs + TIDAL and QOBUZ).  Hope this helps.

Chris

Thank you. Is that limitation due to CPU and/or the scratch disc or the SD card inside the BDP-1, i.e. can the limit be extended?

Do you know the max limits for BDP-2 and BDP-3 and where they start slowing down? Thanks!

MikeK123

« Reply #1448 on: 12 May 2019, 04:27 am »

I am currently using a Synology NAS woth (2) 10tB 'RED' drives. There's no issue regarding my ROON accessing it and sending the target song to my Bryston Pi. I'be also used Bryston's cataloging App and it streams from the NAS just fine (though I don't like the App much... maybe I'm spoiled from using Roon).

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #1449 on: 3 Jun 2019, 02:37 pm »
Recently, I decided to try out Tidal Streaming, which is far better than I had imagined. Thus far, I've only been able to use my PC for it because my BDP-1 keeps reporting "incorrect username or password", even though I've entered the identical credentials in the BDP-1 as I'm using for the PC. For giggles, I've copied and pasted the username and password from the Settings page in the BDP-1 to my PC for logging in and it was successful. What could the issue be?

This is the build my BDP-1 is using:
S2.40 2019-05-10
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.17.6 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486
Copyright Bryston Ltd. 2010

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1450 on: 3 Jun 2019, 05:35 pm »
Recently, I decided to try out Tidal Streaming, which is far better than I had imagined. Thus far, I've only been able to use my PC for it because my BDP-1 keeps reporting "incorrect username or password", even though I've entered the identical credentials in the BDP-1 as I'm using for the PC. For giggles, I've copied and pasted the username and password from the Settings page in the BDP-1 to my PC for logging in and it was successful. What could the issue be?

This is the build my BDP-1 is using:
S2.40 2019-05-10
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.17.6 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486
Copyright Bryston Ltd. 2010

If you place the BDP into service mode and email us the service id we can take a look remotely.  It's likely a character you've used in your username or password we didn't consider/test that your using and should be pretty simple to fix.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

Chris

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #1451 on: 3 Jun 2019, 06:38 pm »
If you place the BDP into service mode and email us the service id we can take a look remotely.  It's likely a character you've used in your username or password we didn't consider/test that your using and should be pretty simple to fix.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

Ah, makes sense - I guess I should have thought of that. I changed my password to something without any special characters and the BDP-1 logged in without issue. As Tidal is just a streaming service, I had no need of using such a complex password. Consider the issue successfully resolved and me a happy customer. The BDP-1 has been an impressively stable device that continues to put a smile on my face. Thanks for the help!  :thumb:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1452 on: 3 Jun 2019, 08:12 pm »
would you mind posting which special characters you used so we can still resolve the bug for future customers who might come across it?

Chris

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #1453 on: 3 Jun 2019, 08:27 pm »
I wouldn't mind at all - aside from a mixture of upper/lower case and numbers, I used only one special character - $.

bobf

« Reply #1454 on: 3 Jun 2019, 08:58 pm »
would you mind posting which special characters you used so we can still resolve the bug for future customers who might come across it?

Chris

FYI Devialet had restrictions on characters in router passwords. Not uncommon issue.

BigGeek

« Reply #1455 on: 3 Jun 2019, 10:49 pm »
Yup. I had the same issue with $ a while back. I was just about to chime in when I saw the reply from Chris.

EvanMcC

• Bryston, Dynaudio & Torus
« Reply #1456 on: 7 Jun 2019, 06:19 pm »
Quick thoughts on the sound quality of Tidal on the BDP-1?

Looking to make a jump from Mac mini with Audirvana > Jitterbug > M2Tech HiFace2 > Signal Cable SPDIF cable > BDA-1

Thinking it'd be a good upgrade?

Thanks,

Evan

elothe

« Reply #1457 on: 30 Sep 2019, 11:28 pm »
Good evening!

I have been using my BDP-1/BDA-1 combo almost daily and very happily since they were was introduced.
What a brilliant investment that was!
Nowadays the BDP-1 serves as a DLNA renderer for a Synology NAS which runs the DS Audio application.
I switched to this setup when my music library outgrew the limit set by the memory available in the player.
This setup works very well indeed most of the time, but there is an issue:
- every other day the BDP is no longer recognised as an available player. The solution is to either reboot it or toggle the Renderer service off and on and then wait a little while.
But why does this happen? The other DLNA renderers in my network do not seem to display the same behaviour.
Do anyone know of a way to keep the BDP permanently "online" so to speak?
Grateful for any advice on this question!

EvanMcC

• Bryston, Dynaudio & Torus
« Reply #1458 on: 1 Oct 2019, 01:07 pm »
Hi there,

Try going in to your router settings and assigning your BDP a static IP address on your network.

I found that this kept everything connected and reachable more than the default settings.

Evan

elothe

« Reply #1459 on: 1 Oct 2019, 07:53 pm »
Evan,

thank you, this sounds like a good idea. I try it for a while now to see how it works.