$750-$1000
7 (21.2%)
>$1000
13 (39.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Your music purchases - what say you?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: Your music purchases - what say you?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Mar 2012, 10:20 am »
I've got a new M.O. when it comes to music now...

I've checked out about 40 or so CDs from my local library in the last few weeks.  Ripped them to my hard drive.  Before you all start panicking and acusing me of illegal activity, here's my plan - listen to them a few times.  If its something I'd like to own, I'll buy a copy.  If not, delete.

I borrowed a few friends' iPods in the past and did the same thing.  Discovered a few artists and albums I'd passed over before.  I bought the stuff I really digged, and deleted the crap.

Check out your local library.  An easy way of hearing some new stuff, and in CD quality rather than mp3 from the online services.  And it's free.

Do not forget about YouTube.

I search there for my favorite music genre and if a band sparks my interest, I go to CD Universe and listen to all of the short samples from the album and 90% of the time "click" to move to my shopping cart. When I have between 15 to 20 CDs in my shopping cart I will then have my order delivered.

Be well...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #21 on: 29 Mar 2012, 11:28 am »
Rrrrrrrrrrr.....have you ever been to sea mateee?

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

"What say you"  :wink:

Be well...

Stu Pitt

« Reply #22 on: 1 Apr 2012, 02:36 pm »
Do not forget about YouTube.

I search there for my favorite music genre and if a band sparks my interest, I go to CD Universe and listen to all of the short samples from the album and 90% of the time "click" to move to my shopping cart. When I have between 15 to 20 CDs in my shopping cart I will then have my order delivered.

Be well...

YouTube is a great place for music.  I use an Apple TV 1 as my server, so YouTube is very nicely integrated into my stereo.  My favorite part of YouTube is live stuff - where else are you going to find Pearl Jam performing an acoustic set in Tower Records in Yonkers, NY before they hit the big time?  Where else will you find BB King performing The Thrill Is Gone on the Kenny Rogers show?  Sound and picture quality vary, but that's not the point IMO.

One of my favorite videos on YouTube is Metallica's Cliff Burton (deceased bass player) playing For Whom The Bell Tolls.  If you want to see a guy play bass like its a lead guitar, YouTube search "Cliff Burton for whom the be tolls."   It's the first one that comes up under results. 

yyz

« Reply #23 on: 1 Apr 2012, 03:44 pm »
Since I have started listening to Mog.com while at work (using Audioengine A2's speakers). I have re-ignited my desire to buy a lot of music. The ability to do deep dive research into whatever music ideas pop into my head has expanded my knowledge and interest. I would not recommend listening to a streaming service (even at 320k) on a good system but on something like my office speakers (A2) you do not notice the lower qulaity sound. On my main rig (with Thiels) I cannot listen to Mog.com. Those speakers are too revealing.

So since the beginning of 2012, I have 10 CD's on my Amazon wish list to buy . All of these were found on MOG.com and I liked them so much that I decided I wanted the better quality CD's. I am holding out a little while longer to see if I can find these in hi-res before I buy them in CD's. The point is that music discovery is really easy nowadays.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #24 on: 2 Apr 2012, 02:53 am »
as for places to hear music. Pandora is great.
Set up a new station, with the artist you want to hear, listen. Cool.

sfraser

« Reply #25 on: 3 Apr 2012, 01:39 pm »
as for places to hear music. Pandora is great.
Set up a new station, with the artist you want to hear, listen. Cool.

Yes it certainly is/was. We cannot get it legally in Canada. : (