Recapping VR 5 HSEs?

stewie

Recapping VR 5 HSEs?
« on: 8 Jan 2021, 12:37 am »
Hello,

I have a nice pair of vr5 hse's from around 2002, so it occurred to me that the crossovers may be in need of a recap. Has anyone done this on VR (of similar make or year) either themselves or through someone else? Also, if the crossovers are removed, is it pretty clear what caps are what, or does one need a wiring diagram for the co's. Thanks very much.

Jon L

Re: Recapping VR 5 HSEs?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2021, 04:34 am »
so it occurred to me that the crossovers may be in need of a recap.

I'd be shocked if VR5 HSE had electrolytic caps in the crossover.  It likely has all film caps, which would not be in need of a recap, unlike electrolytics. 
It is known that this crossover has a 7uF and 8uF cap, with apparently some versions having Hovland film caps and other versions having a mix of Hovland and Solen caps.  If you are a Solen disliker, it may be reasonable to replace those with better film caps.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152255.0

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2021, 07:10 am »
The H in HSE stands for Hovland, an expensive, high quality film cap that Albert voiced the speaker for. I'd leave them alone. They don't age much, and its more likely you'll throw the voicing off.
I liked my HSEs a lot, and had to triple the $ to do better.
BTW, I have a brand new midrange for that speaker if you want a spare. PM me if interested. The tweeters and woofers are available, but the mids are pure unobtanium.

stewie

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2021, 12:55 am »
Thanks Jon L and Jonbee. As for the mids, I was given 4 extra ones with the speakers by the previous owner, so I'm set. Glad to hear that the caps are good for a long while. Thanks again.
-Stewie