NAD M22 Stereo Power Amplifier-NC400

OzarkTom

NAD M22 Stereo Power Amplifier-NC400
« on: 22 Sep 2014, 02:20 am »
NAD NC400 amp for $3K.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M22-Stereo-Power-Amplifier

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-m7m1NDQK3Yv/p_745M22/NAD-Masters-Series-M22.html

NAD's M22 power amplifier is the first nCore-based model from a mass-market company. Unlike competition from Acoustic Imagery, Merrill Audio, Jeff Rowland and Mola-Mola which get $10'000/pr and more for equivalent monos, the NAD stereo amp sells for $3'000. "We have our own nCore module developed in close cooperation with Hypex. It is based on the NC400 not the 1200 but this is not a qualitative difference. It only affects power output.  We can do this because we will build and sell a lot of units. The 1200 was developed primarily for the pro market where huge power is required. In the Hypex 400 module continuous power is 200W@8 and 400W@4. In our implementation it is 250W@8/4 controlled by Erik Edvardsen’s precision clipper circuit. The benefit of this approach is the ability to offer much more short term or dynamic power where we have 350 @8 and 600W@4. This makes the power in actual use seem greater than the spec – in typical NAD tradition!" Inputs are selectable on RCA or XLR.

strateahed

Re: NAD M22 Stereo Power Amplifier-NC400
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2014, 05:19 pm »
It'll be interesting to see reviews from early adopters. Thanks for sharing OzarkTom. 

drubin

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2014, 03:38 pm »
Somebody needs to hear one of these and compare to our DIY builds. Crutchfield, with it's 60-day return privilege, makes it mighty tempting.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2014, 05:23 pm »
Somebody needs to hear one of these and compare to our DIY builds. Crutchfield, with it's 60-day return privilege, makes it mighty tempting.

I nominate Dan Rubin. He has the skill set, the experience, the level head, the flawless taste and the idea. Who better to carry this ingenious pursuit through to a conclusive outcome for the Audio Circle community? Go Dan!!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2014, 07:13 pm »
I nominate Dan Rubin. He has the skill set, the experience, the level head, the flawless taste and the idea. Who better to carry this ingenious pursuit through to a conclusive outcome for the Audio Circle community? Go Dan!!
Yeah, buy a pair and pass them around for 6 months.   :D

drubin

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2014, 07:20 pm »
Who wants to be the angel investor for this project?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2014, 07:34 pm »
Who wants to be the angel investor for this project?
In the past the same guy that has passed them around also funded it. 

drubin

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2014, 07:41 pm »
In the past the same guy that has passed them around also funded it.
Sounds like a winning business model to me.  :wink:
How about if each tour stop pays a rental fee plus shipping to the next stop?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2014, 07:48 pm »
Sounds like a winning business model to me.  ;)
How about if each tour stop pays a rental fee plus shipping to the next stop?
Not how it was done the last time.  Lay it on the line!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2014, 08:00 pm »
Jason - In fairness, this is a somewhat different situation in that, as someone mentioned, Crutchfield is making them available on a more or less free trial basis. The NC 400s you shared were virtually unheard of at the time. In fact, I hope the Hypex crowd appreciates how you put your investment out there on their behalf.

Dan - I'm sorry for setting you up like that.

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2014, 08:32 pm »
Not how it was done the last time.  Lay it on the line!

What is that supposed to mean?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2014, 08:46 pm »
What is that supposed to mean?
Read this and this

cab

« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2014, 09:18 pm »
Interesting that NAD chose Hypex when then are several other modules out now that are getting some great reviews. Perhaps ncore is still the king of the hill...

drubin

« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2014, 09:27 pm »
My hesitation on even trying this this is partly due to having taken a flyer on the C390DD. Exciting technology, good reviews, very disappointing product, with enough operational quirkiness to make me wonder about today's NAD. But I'm gullible and, golly, hope springs eternal, plus the M22 is nice looking. Seems like at $3K, this must be a dumbed-down version of the NC400 with only one of the power supplies. Add a sprinkle of NAS secret sauce, a decent cabinet, and what do you end up with? I suppose it could sound as good or better than the units we all built, but how likely is that?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2014, 09:49 pm »
Hmmm...  Cool of NAD to make this step and come up with enough capitol to fund a special new (and probably exclusive) OEM Ncore implementation.  I wonder if this version uses the discrete input stage from the NC-400, the IC input stage from the NC-1200 OEM modules, or something different.
I also wonder if it is direct coupled like the NC-400, or capacitor coupled like the uCD modules.

Occam

« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2014, 10:30 pm »
Per Nad's website -
http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M22-Stereo-Power-Amplifier
The all-discrete driver and output stage have also been improved for lower open-loop THD as well as lower idling losses, normally conflicting requirements with conventional IC driver circuitry.
They seem quite proud and specifically mention discrete circuitry in the driver and output stages, and assume if the input was discrete and not IC based, they would have mentioned it. That's here nor there as to subjective quality, given the subjective preference for the IC input NC1200 over the discrete input NC400.

The amp is DC coupled throughout, from input to output, there is no capacitor in the forward signal path.
DC coupled input to output [but caps in the feedback path?]

FWIW

PRELUDE

« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2014, 11:20 pm »
I cannot understand what was the concept behind this product!
It is overpriced and most likely won't gain a good place in the market and will live a short life. If it does, more power to them or you might think I am crazy to call it overpriced but this is how I look at it.
Let's forget about the few companies that try to sell this for $10k for a moment. It seems like the $10k is a new target price for this companies and nothing cheaper make them any happier.
NAD, this British company(originally) never meant to be a product for hi-fi but mid-fi or even lower. Back in the old days when they were in England, some of their integrated amps were really a good value for the money when you compare them with the same class stuff in the market.
You always could find better receivers and pre or power amps for the same money if you take your time and look around. They even  made number of tape decks which was nothing but junk.
In mid 90's they moved to Taiwan and they had a lot of problems with quality control over the years. You can ask who ever was the dealer and they will tell you the number of units that customers were bringing them back for issues.
Now in this days, even Taiwan is too expensive for them and they moved the whole factory to China.
Audio advisor has it as well with 30 days return policy. Here is the link and if you zoom the picture of the back of the amp, you can see the made in China at the left hand corner.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/NAD-M22-Master-Series-Stereo-Amplifier/productinfo/NAM22/#.VCHp4kZATIU
This is the most basic module most likely and assembled under the cheap labor in China. Nothing really special about the box which is made out of sheet metal. So is this what you would like to pay $3k for?
I think if anyone  is interested in this amp, should buy the kit with better quality parts and make a nice heavy box out of aluminum for it, and even if it cost the same money or less(which would be most likely)would be the better value for money as well the product.

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2014, 11:52 pm »
I knew all about the previous graciousness from Dan.  My point was why did you expect Dan to spend $3000 and do it all over again?  :scratch:

Read this and this.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 24 Sep 2014, 12:25 am »
I knew all about the previous graciousness from Dan.  My point was why did you expect Dan to spend $3000 and do it all over again?  :scratch:
Who is dan?

ClefChef

« Reply #19 on: 24 Sep 2014, 02:53 am »
I cannot understand what was the concept behind this product!
It is overpriced and most likely won't gain a good place in the market and will live a short life. If it does, more power to them or you might think I am crazy to call it overpriced but this is how I look at it.
Let's forget about the few companies that try to sell this for $10k for a moment. It seems like the $10k is a new target price for this companies and nothing cheaper make them any happier.
NAD, this British company(originally) never meant to be a product for hi-fi but mid-fi or even lower. Back in the old days when they were in England, some of their integrated amps were really a good value for the money when you compare them with the same class stuff in the market.
You always could find better receivers and pre or power amps for the same money if you take your time and look around. They even  made number of tape decks which was nothing but junk.
In mid 90's they moved to Taiwan and they had a lot of problems with quality control over the years. You can ask who ever was the dealer and they will tell you the number of units that customers were bringing them back for issues.
Now in this days, even Taiwan is too expensive for them and they moved the whole factory to China.
Audio advisor has it as well with 30 days return policy. Here is the link and if you zoom the picture of the back of the amp, you can see the made in China at the left hand corner.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/NAD-M22-Master-Series-Stereo-Amplifier/productinfo/NAM22/#.VCHp4kZATIU
This is the most basic module most likely and assembled under the cheap labor in China. Nothing really special about the box which is made out of sheet metal. So is this what you would like to pay $3k for?
I think if anyone  is interested in this amp, should buy the kit with better quality parts and make a nice heavy box out of aluminum for it, and even if it cost the same money or less(which would be most likely)would be the better value for money as well the product.

Agree. For under $2k you can assemble your own world class amp in the best chassis using best components.