Possible Classdaudio SDS 250c upgrade?

cliffylfd

Possible Classdaudio SDS 250c upgrade?
« on: 13 Nov 2023, 06:52 pm »
 Hi, I have a chance to purchase a Purifi Eval 1 1ET400A Bruno Putzeys  design amp and was wondering if the Purifi would be a big jump in performance and sound compared to the Classdaudio SDS 250c.
 The Purifi is a self build with witj a Ghent case that's made for Purifi Eval 1.
   Just trying to get some assurance before purchasing.
Cheers

Phil A

Re: Possible Classdaudio SDS 250c upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2023, 08:51 pm »
Don't know how much help this will be as I've never heard the DSD 250c or 1ET400A.  I do however own a Class D Audio Mini GaN 5 (their current offering and I am using it in a secondary system at the moment but did initially use it in the main system, which is an integrated AV system, for HT duties).  I now use a Purifi 1ET-7040SA stereo amplifier in the main system.  It is supposed to sound substantially the same as the 1ET400A but with more power and the ability to drive low impedance loads better.  Based on that and the older Class D Audio design, I'd think that the Purifi would be a nice jump in performance.  Of course with anything, system syngergy matters.  What is the rest of your system including electronics and speakers?

cliffylfd

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2023, 09:15 pm »
Cheers Phil
My system is CDT 6000, Gustard x26pro  which  goes straight to power amp..no pre needed
 Speakers are DIY floorstanders ..HiVi M8a drivers

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2023, 11:02 pm »
There also may be threads here if you do a search - e.g.  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=183615.0

cliffylfd

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2023, 10:34 am »
Cheers again Phil, will have alook

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2023, 07:26 pm »
Hi Phil. Can you share where you got your Purri amp and cost? I can't find much on them. Would that be the same module that Mark Levinson uses these days?

I would be interested to know the sound difference between it and the Class D Audio amp you have as I am looking at the Class D Audio monos which are a fair step ahead sonically from the 5.

Is this the amp you have.  https://en.rougeaudiodesign.com/product-page/studio-n-8

Rocket Ronny

rowdyrobot

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2024, 05:42 am »
Purifi 1ET400A stereo and mono amps, assembled in Ohio by VTV. There are others too. I chose VTV. Fast, high quality build, and the owner is a super guy. I have the basic stereo model with stock Hypex buffer (the one Bruno originally used) and I love it. Tight bass and crystal clear from floor to ceiling. I’m driving a pair of Salk Song3-A and I’ll never want for power.

https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-stereo-purifi-audio-1et400a-amplifier/

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2024, 12:56 pm »
Hi Phil. Can you share where you got your Purri amp and cost? I can't find much on them. Would that be the same module that Mark Levinson uses these days?

I would be interested to know the sound difference between it and the Class D Audio amp you have as I am looking at the Class D Audio monos which are a fair step ahead sonically from the 5.

Is this the amp you have.  https://en.rougeaudiodesign.com/product-page/studio-n-8

Rocket Ronny

I got mine at VTV.  I got the Purifi 1ET-7040SA Amplifier with VTV Vacuum Tube Buffer - https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-monoblock-purifi-1et-7040sa-amplifier-with-vtv-vacuum-tube-buffer/     I also got the WBT Topline binding posts and the Sparkos 2590 op amps (there's a review on the web - believe on YouTube).  Prices are listed.

I have the Class D Audio stereo amp in a secondary system.  It's very good for the money but not at the same level of the Purifi (I've also previously owned IcePower AS1200 amps both stereo and dual mono and before that a few Class AB amps in the main system which were multiples of the list price of the Purifi).  I original put the Class D Audio amp in the main system for HT duty (and had it in there for a few months) and swapped speaker cables as I have an integrated AV system (pic below).  I did have a brief listen to music with it in the main system.  It was capable of driving my Thiel 3.7s but I was a bit concerned about whether it really had enough power.

I posted some thoughts about the Class D Audio amp here - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=184676.0 and in Reply 3 I linked my original review of it.

walkern

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2024, 03:07 pm »
I was a happy owner of a Classdaudio SDS amp a while back, and I found it to be a nice step up from previous Class D amps that I had heard.  At this point I think Class D amps continue to show improvements that are worthwhile and musically beneficial.  I have not tried a Purifi based amp, but I do currently own and love a NuPrime amp that shares many of the plusses associated with Class D, while incorporating many of the characteristics I love about Class A solid state amps and also some modern tube based amps.

So my recommendation is, give the VTV a shot.

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2024, 06:07 pm »
The Purifi amps certainly look extremely promising. (and tempting) I was going to recommend one to a friend, but then realized he doesn't have XLR outputs on his pre-amp. Could he use an adapter (XLR/RCA) in this case without compromising the performance?

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2024, 07:08 pm »
One can use an adapter. I did with a dual mono IcePower amp.  Currently I a cable which goes from RCA to XLR. Since I have an integrated AV system, I use RCAs for HT Bypass.

mick wolfe

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2024, 04:45 pm »
Thx Phil.  :thumb: